National News Joey Barton

I wonder if Barton-defenders would feel that women aren't able to comment on men's tennis (and vice versa)? Tennis being a sport where the sexes don't play each other but that women play at a high level with high levels of public interest.

the idea that mens and womens football are so different that someone with experience of one cannot commentate on the other effectively is such obvious tosh, surely? What could possibly make them so different that a woman who had played at the top level would be unable to commentate.

But surely a man, who has played at a decent level, is better informed to pass comment ? That's just simple logic isn't it ? Likewise, I'd suggest that men commenting on the women's game would be a bit out of place because they can't relate to the standard and expectancy of women's football.

But surely a man, who has played at a decent level, is better informed to pass comment ? That's just simple logic isn't it ? Likewise, I'd suggest that men commenting on the women's game would be a bit out of place because they can't relate to the standard and expectancy of women's football.

Over simplified, not "simple".

There is not much difference between the men's and women's game in terms of what actually happens, nothing happens in the men's game that women would be unable to commentate on. A bigger factor is just who is articulate and intelligent rather than "yes, I once did a very similar kick myself against some other men"

Anyone would think it was childbirth or bra shopping or something.

The only way men’s and women’s football is relatable is that the ball is round and you have two goals to kick in to - thats it, in my opinion.

It is indeed just your opinion. Apparently they both play to the exact same Fifa set of guidelines under the same governing body.

So I coach both female and male soccer.

Tell me how the drills we do differ Monday - Friday?

Explain how the team talks before and during games differ and the tactics change in your opinion ?

Ps as with male pundits there will be good and bad female pundits. I don’t know Aluko but I do know I like Robyn Cowan on the dub. Very knowledgeable.

Often pundits who did play the game, don’t really comment on tactics or offer helpful analysis -they just gossip.

Over simplified, not "simple".

There is not much difference between the men's and women's game in terms of what actually happens, nothing happens in the men's game that women would be unable to commentate on. A bigger factor is just who is articulate and intelligent rather than "yes, I once did a very similar kick myself against some other men"

I totally disagree, there is a massive difference. Look at the goalkeeping for one - a man must be looking at some of the shots from distance that beat a woman keeper and thinking 'bloody hell, our keeper would have chucked his cap on that' and a woman pundit will be saying 'what a strike, the keeper had no chance'. The speed of the play is totally unrelatable. A woman talking about the top end of the mans game, in my opinion, is giving no more insight than me, you or the next man hence the question - why bother ? Just get the best in class to give the most informed view.

Why do you think the championship, L1, L2, NL, whenever it's on, has the likes of Jobi McAnuff, David Pruton, Don Goodman etc, even Chris Hargreaves for the non-league, doing the punditry ? Why, because that's the level they played at, they can relate to it. You wont get McAnuff as the studio gest for Liverpool v Man City because he'd be out of his depth. Equally, Souness and Keane wont get the gig at Barrow on a Friday night.

In no other walk of life would you choose an inferior option. If you interview someone for a job you don't take second best, you'd take someone with the knowledge or obvious potential to best fit the position. There is no way a woman with 100 caps can give a better insight into the mans game than a male counterpart with 100 caps. The man will have played against the best players of his generation or even to have ever graced the game, he will have played in all the major competitions and in front of millions worldwide.

Last edited:
I wonder if Barton-defenders would feel that women aren't able to comment on men's tennis (and vice versa)? Tennis being a sport where the sexes don't play each other but that women play at a high level with high levels of public interest.

At Wimbledon the BBC tend to use women pundits for the womens game and mens for the mens now.

I totally disagree, there is a massive difference. Look at the goalkeeping for one - a man must be looking at some of the shots from distance that beat a woman keeper and thinking 'bloody hell, our keeper would have chucked his cap on that' and a woman pundit will be saying 'what a strike, the keeper had no chance'. The speed of the play is totally unrelatable. A woman talking about the top end of the mans game, in my opinion, is giving no more insight than me, you or the next man hence the question - why bother ? Just get the best in class to give the most informed view.

Why do you think the championship, L1, L2, NL whenever it's on has the likes of Jobi McAnuff, David Pruton, Don Goodman etc, even Chris Hargreaves for the non-league, doing the punditry ? Why, because that's the level they played at, they can relate to it. You wont get McAnuff as the studio gest for Liverpool v Man City because he'd be out of his depth. Equally, Souness and Keane wont get the gig at Barrow on a Friday night.

In no other walk of life would you choose an inferior option. If you interview someone for a job you don't take second best, you'd take someone with the knowledge or obvious potential to best fit the position. There is no way a woman with 100 caps can give a better insight into the mans game than a male counterpart with 100 caps. The man will have played against the best players of his generation or even to have ever graced the game, he will have played in all the major competitions and in front of millions worldwide.
That’s why the likes of Arsène, Wenger and José Mourinho, proved such rubbish managers, because they had no playing experience at the level that they were coaching

That'll rule Jose Mourinho out of media work then... You just don't need to have played at the top level to have valuable insights into the game.

And rule out some excellent football journalists who won't be able to understand the game so will have to resign......

So which ex top pro footballers will take over their roles? An ex top pro will have to take over George Elek's media work as well.

Also, all match threads and anything commenting about player performance needs to be stopped on the forum as unless the poster is an ex top pro footballer then we obviously can't understand what is going on.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
It is indeed just your opinion. Apparently they both play to the exact same Fifa set of guidelines under the same governing body.

So I coach both female and male soccer.

Tell me how the drills we do differ Monday - Friday?

Explain how the team talks before and during games differ and the tactics change in your opinion ?

Ps as with male pundits there will be good and bad female pundits. I don’t know Aluko but I do know I like Robyn Cowan on the dub. Very knowledgeable.
Agree with this. I’m new to the dub and definitely endorse the knowledge of Robyn C.

And rule out some excellent football journalists who won't be able to understand the game so will have to resign......

So which ex top pro footballers will take over their roles? An ex top pro will have to take over George Elek's media work as well.

Also, all match threads and anything commenting about player performance needs to be stopped on the forum as unless the poster is an ex top pro footballer then we obviously can't understand what is going on.:rolleyes:
It’s almost like Joey Barton is talking s**t

That’s why the likes of Arsène, Wenger and José Mourinho, proved such rubbish managers, because they had no playing experience at the level that they were coaching

So what explanation do you give as to why the likes of McAnuff, Prutton, Goodman, Sam Parkin, Keith Andrews, Chris Hargreaves etc are not getting the Liverpool, City, Arsenal, Man United games etc ? Mourinho coached under, of all people, Bobby Robson at Barcelona, he had been in and around the top tier of the game. Same with Wenger, not a stellar playing career but did serve under some renowned coaches. Both Mourinho and Wenger would have had a grasp of a very decent level of football that obviously opened doors to the managerial careers they had.

If one of the women land a job on the coaching staff at Real, City etc (and are successful) then that would certainly give credibility to them commenting on top PL clashes.

I'm more open minded than most and applaud your coaching of both genders, but SOCCER??!! I know it's the American way, but the word just makes me shudder!!! 🤣

I stood by my principles of calling it football for about 3 years. It got exhausting. And confusing for the folks I was coaching. They broke me.

But to @Marked Ox point it is actually an original terminology