Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

He will no doubt set up in a 433 formation with a similar starting 11 as Manning did. 1 player though that I do think will benefit from the change in management is Gorrin. Des knows him and has worked with him before.
These statements contradict each other a bit. If we play 433 as we have been then there's no room for Gorrin. He can only really play as a holding midfielder, if he's part of that 2 then we're going to struggle to get the ball forwards as he was never good enough at it even when his defensive work justified his inclusion and that was a couple of very serious injuries ago. If he's playing it's either through desperation or a formation change.

I'm not sure that is the case. We've lost 1 in the last 11 and won the 2 games since Manning left. I'm not sure there has ever been a better time to take over against a very poor Cheltenham side.

That's a million times better than coming in to a relegation battle with 10 games left to save our season.
I would argue that Manning was in a no lose situation last season. Relegation and we all blame Robbo, survival and he’s the hero

Any chance we could twin Kidlington with Mumbai? Perhaps BillyOx could ask Middleton
Oxford and Mumbai, perhaps. Mumbai ( formerly Bombay) is huge. The city covers over 600 sq.kms with a population of 12.5 million, and that's just the city. The wider region has a population of twice that and extends to 10x that of the city.

Oxford and Mumbai, perhaps. Mumbai ( formerly Bombay) is huge. The city covers over 600 sq.kms with a population of 12.5 million, and that's just the city. The wider region has a population of twice that and extends to 10x that of the city.

Such a huge catchment area. Their average attendance is just over 4k which shows what a major footballing nation it is...

Screenshot_20231120_224623_Chrome.jpg

I would argue that Manning was in a no lose situation last season. Relegation and we all blame Robbo, survival and he’s the hero
All except that he would have had a relegation on HIS CV. In the case of the compensation due- think it was a case of meeting the "buy out' clause trigger as in when CB was courted by Blackpool as I read it.

At the risk of being a bit contrarian, if the Board had sacked Manning before the Bristol City talk arose with us second in the table and appointed Des in his place, this forum would have gone into meltdown and rightly so. Imho part of the current hero worship of our new manager is due to us feeling jilted, we are on the rebound at present and we think we’ve found a cracking replacement shag really quickly.

I‘m not subscribing yet to the ‘he’s the Messiah’ enthusiasm. On paper he looks good but let’s see how the next 10 games go.
I take your point, and it is well made and one worth bearing in mind, but I do think context is important. At that point it would have been ludicrous to get rid of the figurehead behind everything going so well. But the fact is that he did leave us in the lurch, and that has posed a lot of questions to the team and, more widely, to the club. I think the current positivity stems more from the reaction of the club, players and staff to that adversity, which has been, without going OTT, exemplary, than to the appointment of Buckingham himself.

For me the difference is the manner of the two wins since Manning’s departure - Leyton and, to a much lesser extent, Chelsea u21s. You got the sense from the Leyton game, and in particular the players’ and staffs’ actions after the game, that the sense of betrayal and anger that the fans were feeling was shared by the club - but that, crucially, it was being harboured in a positive way. I think this is why people are so excited about Des - it’s because we’ve shown that this group of players can be good, pull together and have a positive mindset regardless of who the manager is. Had we crumbled, and needed him to come in and steady the ship, I think there would have been significantly more trepidation and concern. There would have been a feeling that there was more on hin to immediately impose his methods and succeed, and i think then his lack of experience in this league would have been more in question. As it is, I think there is a prevailing sentiment that the players are good enough regardless, and that any additions he can contribute can only be a positive.

I think it’s also worth bearing in mind that by all accounts DB was seriously looked at last time we needed a manager, and that he was overlooked then at least in part because of his contractual circumstances with Mumbai. It’s not like we’ve plucked him out of nowhere - he’s clearly been on the radar of the same people who chose Liam manning (who, much as we might now not want to admit it, was a pretty spectacular success) for a while. That gives reasonable cause for optimism.

As I say, I take your point, but I think the enthusiasm is less to do with DB himself being ‘better’ than Manning, and more to do with the general state of the club at the moment and its general reaction to adversity. His apparently perfect demeanour is just adding to that.

I take your point, and it is well made and one worth bearing in mind, but I do think context is important. At that point it would have been ludicrous to get rid of the figurehead behind everything going so well. But the fact is that he did leave us in the lurch, and that has posed a lot of questions to the team and, more widely, to the club. I think the current positivity stems more from the reaction of the club, players and staff to that adversity, which has been, without going OTT, exemplary, than to the appointment of Buckingham himself.

For me the difference is the manner of the two wins since Manning’s departure - Leyton and, to a much lesser extent, Chelsea u21s. You got the sense from the Leyton game, and in particular the players’ and staffs’ actions after the game, that the sense of betrayal and anger that the fans were feeling was shared by the club - but that, crucially, it was being harboured in a positive way. I think this is why people are so excited about Des - it’s because we’ve shown that this group of players can be good, pull together and have a positive mindset regardless of who the manager is. Had we crumbled, and needed him to come in and steady the ship, I think there would have been significantly more trepidation and concern. There would have been a feeling that there was more on hin to immediately impose his methods and succeed, and i think then his lack of experience in this league would have been more in question. As it is, I think there is a prevailing sentiment that the players are good enough regardless, and that any additions he can contribute can only be a positive.

I think it’s also worth bearing in mind that by all accounts DB was seriously looked at last time we needed a manager, and that he was overlooked then at least in part because of his contractual circumstances with Mumbai. It’s not like we’ve plucked him out of nowhere - he’s clearly been on the radar of the same people who chose Liam manning (who, much as we might now not want to admit it, was a pretty spectacular success) for a while. That gives reasonable cause for optimism.

As I say, I take your point, but I think the enthusiasm is less to do with DB himself being ‘better’ than Manning, and more to do with the general state of the club at the moment and its general reaction to adversity. His apparently perfect demeanour is just adding to that.
This might be a slight over-reaction on my part but I'm in such agreement with this post that I'm going to get it tattooed on my back.

Be good to get his backroom staff in, in the next couple of days, to be familiar for Cheltenham.

With the international break and new manager, I'm surprised there hasn't been a behind closed doors friendly sorted out for this week.

Such a huge catchment area. Their average attendance is just over 4k which shows what a major footballing nation it is...

View attachment 16880
Can somebody explain this, as, on the face of it, it makes no sense.

For example, Kerala Blaster's stadium has a capacity of 35,000 but according to this chart can pack in 130,000 spectators, with an average of 32,500.

According to Wikipedia, Mumbai's ground holds a maximum of 6,600, not 7,960 (and it's also unlikely that they can pack 12,054 fans in, whichever is the correct number).

And unless only a single game has been played at the stadia in 10th and 11th position, there's no way that the number of spectators can exactly match the average number of spectators. (Well, OK, technically there is a way, but it's incredibly unlikely.)

My bet is that these figures are mostly (or completely) meaningless.

For example, Kerala Blaster's stadium has a capacity of 35,000 but according to this chart can pack in 130,000 spectators, with an average of 32,500.
That's a sum of their attendances in the season to give 130K. 4 games at average of 32.5K = total attendance figure of 130K

As for your question on positions 10 and 11, you are correct that they have only hosted 1 game.

That's a sum of their attendances in the season to give 130K. 4 games at average of 32.5K = total attendance figure of 130K

As for your question on positions 10 and 11, you are correct that they have only hosted 1 game.
Oh, thanks!!!

I'm a bit surprised that the management team is not yet in place. Normally these sort of appointments are just a formality once the new manager is installed and that was now nearly a week ago. I get it we have Short full time and his mate, Lyons, helping out but we still look one or two short in that department. Having been away from English football for so long might it be that DB doesn't yet have a lot of quality contacts to assist him and no obvious assistant in the way lots of managers have. I can see Short maybe getting the assistants job and someone like Hackett promoted to first team duties and Lyons staying on. That would seem to me a bit of a chucked together backroom and would much prefer to see Des bring in a trusted right hand man, in much the same way Manning did.

On the Dub, Jerome suggested that his take was that compensation was likely to have been less than £500k. So with the compensation received from Manning, it would have been a lot less than originally speculated.

Just need the Twitteratti to amend their £1m claim. Anyone with a brain knew that was pie.

Back
Top Bottom