Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

Also, the Assistant Manager at Mumbai was Japanese, the Goalkeeping coach was Spanish, the Fitness coach was Australian and the analyst was Indian.

I assume they would all need a work permit to come to the UK, and I don't think any of them would get enough points to qualify if they were a player, coming as they do from a low rated league. I'm guessing that the rules for staff are similar to those for players? In which case, I don't think any of Des' former backroom staff will be options.......

Don't have any choice but to find a new team.....which means a proper recruitment process.

Short and Hackett should be able to hold down the fort whilst they do........
I am starting a crowdfunding page towards a small boat (not like the one on BBC though…), who’s in?

He’s also an Aquarius, and the defining characteristic of that sign is an inability to organise a defence. Fact.
As a fellow Aquarius I cannot refute that, thus proving your point further.

#DesOut #TheBuckStopsWithHim

Can somebody explain this, as, on the face of it, it makes no sense.

For example, Kerala Blaster's stadium has a capacity of 35,000 but according to this chart can pack in 130,000 spectators, with an average of 32,500.

According to Wikipedia, Mumbai's ground holds a maximum of 6,600, not 7,960 (and it's also unlikely that they can pack 12,054 fans in, whichever is the correct number).

And unless only a single game has been played at the stadia in 10th and 11th position, there's no way that the number of spectators can exactly match the average number of spectators. (Well, OK, technically there is a way, but it's incredibly unlikely.)

My bet is that these figures are mostly (or completely) meaningless.
If it's anything like the trains...
1700608448438.png

You really are looking for a downside aren’t you? Last week, less than 4 hours into the job, and based on a picture with Sam Long, you were worried he might get to familiar with players.

Give the man a reasonable chance to get s**t together!

Calm down 🙄. I’ve posted loads of positive stuff about Des, he’s a great appointment on the face of it. It’s hardly a negative but I did say he almost seems too perfect and couldn’t picture him in adversity or bellowing out an old school rollicking. All a bit tongue in cheek and said with curiosity more than actual meaning - a back handed compliment if you like.

Calm down 🙄. I’ve posted loads of positive stuff about Des, he’s a great appointment on the face of it. It’s hardly a negative but I did say he almost seems too perfect and couldn’t picture him in adversity or bellowing out an old school rollicking. All a bit tongue in cheek and said with curiosity more than actual meaning - a back handed compliment if you like.
Now, where is that back pedalling emoji I was looking for last week…….

Eh, I dunno, give that video of him speaking to the players above a watch. Definitely has a bit of steel about him.

Now, where is that back pedalling emoji I was looking for last week…….

Hardly back peddling when I've just reiterated exactly what I said last week, albeit adding 'curiosity' in to it, for those struggling with context, but that's exactly what it is - it will be interesting to see him in the inevitable adversity that follows every manager around from time to time. Onwards and upwards though and looking forward to him getting off to a winning start at Cheltenham.

What stands out to me it that football management is aligning to 'normal business practice'. Nothing that I have seen or heard from DB is anything crazy amazing. He just sounds like a sensible, experienced professional.

Football management has been in the dark ages for a long time and hasn't kept up with society. That's changing and is being driven by a new generation of football ownership (multinational business people) who expect more from their leaders. GF and TW no doubt have a vision of what a good leader looks like that they have developed through working inside and outside of football. They need someone that 'speaks their language', and that they can work with. Your old school manager (Warnock, Evans, even someone like Chris Wilder) isn't going to be a credible option for the majority in the long run.

What stands out to me it that football management is aligning to 'normal business practice'. Nothing that I have seen or heard from DB is anything crazy amazing. He just sounds like a sensible, experienced professional.

Football management has been in the dark ages for a long time and hasn't kept up with society. That's changing and is being driven by a new generation of football ownership (multinational business people) who expect more from their leaders. GF and TW no doubt have a vision of what a good leader looks like that they have developed through working inside and outside of football. They need someone that 'speaks their language', and that they can work with. Your old school manager (Warnock, Evans, even someone like Chris Wilder) isn't going to be a credible option for the majority in the long run.
On an international weekend with no Championship games and only two league 1 games, the football league paper had a few articles on the "new breed" of head coach in league football.
Similar one here on Sky Sports.

Your old school manager (Warnock, Evans, even someone like Chris Wilder) isn't going to be a credible option for the majority in the long run.
The likes of these managers will always get a job somewhere if they want one. They’ve got a proven track record of success with numerous promotions on their CV. There will always be clubs who buck the trend - you’ll never get everyone adopting the same approach. The jobs might be limited, but they’ll be there and those are the managers who will be at the top of the lists.

The ones in real danger are the established coaches and managers who don’t really achieve anything. Even the managers being brought in by struggling L1 clubs, like Darrell Clarke at Cheltenham, have got multiple lower league promotions to their name. The more young coaches are given their first opportunities in management, the more those clubs looking for a more tried and tested approach have their pick of the bunch. If you’re a manager with hundreds of games and a decade of management under your belt, but virtually no honours, you’re getting purged long before the likes of Evans and Wilder.

The likes of these managers will always get a job somewhere if they want one. They’ve got a proven track record of success with numerous promotions on their CV. There will always be clubs who buck the trend - you’ll never get everyone adopting the same approach. The jobs might be limited, but they’ll be there and those are the managers who will be at the top of the lists.

The ones in real danger are the established coaches and managers who don’t really achieve anything. Even the managers being brought in by struggling L1 clubs, like Darrell Clarke at Cheltenham, have got multiple lower league promotions to their name. The more young coaches are given their first opportunities in management, the more those clubs looking for a more tried and tested approach have their pick of the bunch. If you’re a manager with hundreds of games and a decade of management under your belt, but virtually no honours, you’re getting purged long before the likes of Evans and Wilder.
And then there are the high profile Premier League players who assume they will be a successful manager - Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney are the obvious ones but also Frank De Boar at Palace.

think it was on the dub where they were saying how many EFL promotions in recent years were first season EFL level coaches as opposed to the old school.

think it was on the dub where they were saying how many EFL promotions in recent years were first season EFL level coaches as opposed to the old school.
I think this is true in work generally, a new breed of keen, brisk, obedient younger people are supplanting the old gits.

I think there's still a place for the old school coaches but it's fair to say their chances of landing what they'd call the better jobs in the summer merry-go-round are diminishing, with clubs seemingly looking more and more at the relative success of the likes of Mousinho, Manning and hopefully Buckingham as a few examples of a wider and longer term plan.

Having said that, if it's March and your five points from safety then your money would probably be on a Wilder, Warnock, Allardyce to get you out it more than it would be the examples above. There will definitely be times though when strategy, data and every other modern day buzz word gives in to the more basic and chest thumping approach of the old time bosses.

Re Wilder, I'm a bit surprised he's bracketed (and I've just bracketed him!) as a bit old school. It hasn't worked very recently but he was quite innovative in his time at Sheffield United in the PL wit that formation he played. Perhaps it's a perception that the gruffness of a northerner is going to be less expansive and more pragmatic and that this charismatic, younger breed of manager is the image clubs want - both on and off the field.

• React
Reactions: Ian
Back
Top Bottom