Sport Cricket - Summer 2022

I suppose playing some sort of cricket is better than none, but I’d have thought playing 4 day county cricket in English conditions would be better preparation than thrashing about in the subcontinent?

I suppose playing some sort of cricket is better than none, but I’d have thought playing 4 day county cricket in English conditions would be better preparation than thrashing about in the subcontinent?
Totally agree, and I'd have picked Brook ahead of Bairstow for that reason. Guessing that his 140 in Antigua has given him the slot again.

Totally agree, and I'd have picked Brook ahead of Bairstow for that reason. Guessing that his 140 in Antigua has given him the slot again.

Im a great believer in playing players when they’re in form, especially young players who need to gain experience and confidence at international level.

Having said that, I love watching Bairstow when he’s in full flow, brave cricket and never backs down. Just very vulnerable to the straight delivery!

I'd probably go with this as the starting Xl on Thursday:

Lees
Crawley (I wouldn't but they haven't selected an alternative opener)
Root
Pope
Stokes
Brooks
Foakes
Potts
Broad
Leach
Anderson

Despite his ton in WI, i don't think you can pick Bairstow who hasn't played a red ball match this pre-season. Also, i think Brooks deserves his chance and batting at 6 should release too much pressure instead of being asked to bat in the top 5.
I know Root will bat 4 but he remains our best bat and should be batting at 3.
Potts over Overton for me - he is mid to high 80's MPH and offers something a bit different to Broad and Anderson.

England's recent form has been poor, despite that i am looking forward to the summer test matches. It will hopefully produce one or two new players to blood for the future. We should be looking forward to the home ashes a year next winter. Players like Pope, Brooks, Potts and Livingstone (convinced he'll get a chance this summer) should be looked at as potential stars of that series and this summer, with expectation relatively low, should be the time to give them a gig and see how they go!

Come on England!

Kane Williamson faced 9 balls for 0. Not sure that is better preparation?
Trent Boult is likely to miss the first Test due to the IPL but will likely play the second.
Things seem.to have changed with little preparation. That is a big advantage in theory for England ....

If I'm reading his stats right, Harry Brook has played ten first class innings this summer and his lowest score (and the only time he didn't get a half century) is 41.
He's 23, clearly very talented, and averaging 140 in the first division of the CCC. I'm not quite sure what more you can do to get a game?

Meanwhile, Jonny Bairstow is 32, has played 83 Test matches and averages a respectable but not great 35 because he has well-established deficiencies against accurate seam bowling (which, by the way, is all you're going to get from Tim Southee and Matt Henry). And he hasn't played a single red ball game in months.

That doesn't seem to me like a particularly difficult call - especially when you should be planning for the future, and trying to build the next great England team.

I also hate playing Pope at #3 and Root at #4, when it seems obvious that it should be the other way around.

Not a great start for the new England regime.

Although at least they got the Potts call correct (even if, from what I've read about him, he sounds like a classic English seamer that's likely to be great at home but may struggle on our travels)

If I'm reading his stats right, Harry Brook has played ten first class innings this summer and his lowest score (and the only time he didn't get a half century) is 41.
He's 23, clearly very talented, and averaging 140 in the first division of the CCC. I'm not quite sure what more you can do to get a game?

Meanwhile, Jonny Bairstow is 32, has played 83 Test matches and averages a respectable but not great 35 because he has well-established deficiencies against accurate seam bowling (which, by the way, is all you're going to get from Tim Southee and Matt Henry). And he hasn't played a single red ball game in months.

That doesn't seem to me like a particularly difficult call - especially when you should be planning for the future, and trying to build the next great England team.

I also hate playing Pope at #3 and Root at #4, when it seems obvious that it should be the other way around.

Not a great start for the new England regime.

Although at least they got the Potts call correct (even if, from what I've read about him, he sounds like a classic English seamer that's likely to be great at home but may struggle on our travels)
One of the main selection problems is that the top three look a tad weak to me. Unfortunately on this occasion they have gone with the safer option ( a bit like Gareth Southgate in the Euros final at 1-0) although Bairstow has scored two hundreds in his last four tests so doesn’t deserve to be dropped. As a regular watcher of Yorkshire cricket although mostly through YouTube Harry Brook has been on a different level to anyone else I have seen this season.

Sensational catch by Bairstow 1 for 1.
Anderson looks the business

NZ 7 for 3.
Anderson 2 and Broad 1.
All catches by Bairstow.

Back
Top Bottom