International News Covid-19 .....

There were also a lot of labour defectors up north. Corbyn was that bad.
Totally agree, I think both major parties in the UK are appalling. We look at the USA and think how could that happen, but the weanesses of the UK system and the unwillingness to change may well see a similar outcome here at some point in the future. If Boris were Trump and Trump would have got elected in the UK, what chances it would have been Westminster rather than Washington.
Democracy is precious but it is also fragile. Boris in particular doesn't respect it, ignoring Parliament using the pandemic excuse not to have legislation scrutinised is really unacceptable in a democracy, irrespective of political party.

If you look through the BLM thread you will see that I'm exceptionally sensitive to the views of minorities, but you position is insane.

The comment was made about trained monkeys, one that is often used to suggest that a task/role needs little competence. Perfectly reasonable comment that has no racial connotations whatsoever. The fact that this was linked to either political party (blue/red rossettes) was to highlight political strength in certain areas. People have made the same point by referencing various animals and a tub of lard in the past, all without question and all perfectly reasonable.

Then EY repeats the point and uses his local MP as an example. There was no reference to her colour, her gender, her background, her culture or any individual characteristic that could be used to show prejudice in any way.

The only prejudice shown is your ridiculous accusation of racism, and even worse to suggest this is also an attack on two black Oxford United players. This is shameful and completely undermines legitimate concerns.

I won't reply any more as this will only give you an opportunity to make further comments that embarrass you and the forum. Back on ignore, and I'd encourage others to do the same.
Hear hear, the blind accusation of racism when it isn’t there is dangerous and undermines the importance of calling out true racism, which has no place on this forum, or anywhere.

Totally agree, I think both major parties in the UK are appalling. We look at the USA and think how could that happen, but the weanesses of the UK system and the unwillingness to change may well see a similar outcome here at some point in the future. If Boris were Trump and Trump would have got elected in the UK, what chances it would have been Westminster rather than Washington.
Democracy is precious but it is also fragile. Boris in particular doesn't respect it, ignoring Parliament using the pandemic excuse not to have legislation scrutinised is really unacceptable in a democracy, irrespective of political party.

Hopefully the next general election will see a much more competitive playing field.

Back to Covid numbers....

Saturdays numbers....

54991 people in Leicestershire have tested positive - up from 54,427 (increase 564).
24983 (increase of 259) were within the Leicester City Council area.
30008 (increase of 305) cases were reported in the County.

UHL reported 10 death's.

The death's occurred on the following days: 26th December (1), 27th December (1), 29th December (1), 30th December (1), 31st December (1), 2nd January (4), and 3rd January (1).

Total number of UHL death's stands at 836.

If you bring up the name of a Black Woman MP in response to a reference to trained monkeys unintentionally I'd imagine you'd apologise.

Personally I'd imagine that somebody that had been pointed out to them that they had incorrectly accused another of using a racist remark would be big enough to apologise!!!
And he should delete his accusatory post.

I don't think it's appropriate to mention Black MP's in the context of " monkeys with rosettes" ; Astonished and surprised that some do. There are a few names I'd expect to see in this context of course. You know who you are.

I don't think it's appropriate to mention Black MP's in the context of " monkeys with rosettes" ; Astonished and surprised that some do. There are a few names I'd expect to see in this context of course. You know who you are.
Only you have taken it this way, spurious accusation of racism like this actually do more harm then good. Grow up admit you interpreted the message incorrectly, apologise if you are big enough, as ploughing on like this does you no favours.

There was no intention of racism in the post from what I could see. See Scotchers post back in the thread for what a common idiom it is, along with many others.

Your pointless crusade is taking this thread off topic.

Back to Covidiots, folks. I’ve stupidly allowed myself to get irritated by this berk who has tried and failed to launch legal challenges against the UK lockdown in the Supreme Court.

His #KBF campaign is good for highlighting twats on Twitter though. I see he’s shuffling over to one of those other right wing social media platforms/echo chambers.

The funniest thing is that he’s based in Monaco and his weirdo supporters don’t see the irony from taking their instructions from another multi millionaire who is pretty well insulated against any form of lockdown.

I keep coming back to something I posted on here back early in the first wave.

A friend of mine who was working on the distribution of grants to businesses was party to daily update calls with government officials. Back then the officials warned him and his colleagues that the government was expecting a second wave in the autumn/winter and that the second wave would be worse than the first. I remember being a bit taken aback by it.

If the government was predicting this why hasn't it prepared for it? And how can it possibly say, words to the effect that 'this surprised everyone' ?

If you bring up the name of a Black Woman MP in response to a reference to trained monkeys unintentionally I'd imagine you'd apologise.
You intentionally defended Corbyn and the Labour Party on anti semitism, that is racism on a grand scale but haven't apologised, nor do I expect to see one. You continue to set new levels of hypocrisy.

If the government was predicting this why hasn't it prepared for it? And how can it possibly say, words to the effect that 'this surprised everyone' ?
I think most people was expecting a second wave at some point over the winter months and preparations were made, at least in the areas which I have an insight to.

I don't think anyone had prepared for a super-infectious mutant strain that emerged just as many had let their guard down when they became immersed in the "xmas at all costs" mindset that prevailed until the statistics started to point to the true magnitude of what was to come.

I think most people was expecting a second wave at some point over the winter months and preparations were made, at least in the areas which I have an insight to.

I don't think anyone had prepared for a super-infectious mutant strain that emerged just as many had let their guard down when they became immersed in the "xmas at all costs" mindset that prevailed until the statistics started to point to the true magnitude of what was to come.
Yes but the scientists MUST have advised the government that ALL viruses mutate with both better and worse outcomes.

And the government itself told us compliance would wane over time.

So what has it done to prepare for these three things (i.e a second wave, mutation and reduced compliance). Where's the strategy? What was Christmas all about??

Last edited:
Allegedly the idea about the use of curfew was mentioned to Johnson and was dismissed as being ‘unBritish’ or suchlike. I would have thought that the potential for preserving life might be prioritised, whatever happened to pragmatism?

Back
Top Bottom