International News Black Lives Matter

The problem is that very often the societal hand someone is dealt is very much dependant on the colour of their skin. And we will never address that whilst there are those who deny that this is the case.

BBC News - Strip-search of girl should be gross misconduct case - London mayor
The Met policy of strip searching children goes back a while. This is an article from 2014 talking about 4500 strip searches of children aged 10-16 in previous 5 years.

Brilliant point. There but for the grace of God and all that.

Edit:that's assuming @Essexyellows doesn't have a criminal record. @Essexyellows ?

Sorry missed this, I turn notifications off you see.

The answer is, it depends on how you define a criminal record. ;)

As you may be aware there are periods of rehabilitation where life events that may have broken the law do not remain on your record.

So getting lifted for FV, D&D etc is not a millstone in later life. :)

Sorry missed this, I turn notifications off you see.

The answer is, it depends on how you define a criminal record. ;)

As you may be aware there are periods of rehabilitation where life events that may have broken the law do not remain on your record.

So getting lifted for FV, D&D etc is not a millstone in later life. :)
Were you working for South Midlands Heating Services back in the day

And back on track............... police officer suspended, crowds on the street protesting........

Have they skipped the previous & other contributory factors around his death?

Convicted & jailed for possession of an imitation firearm
Firearms marker on the car due to a previous incident.
It wasn`t his car.
He failed to stop for police.
He tried to ram a pursuing marked Police vehicle.
Failed to get out of the car after the ramming despite multiple requests by armed officers.

🤷‍♂️

The only thing about this that worries me is I think possibly depending on the outcome of the inquiry that there would be riots.

And back on track............... police officer suspended, crowds on the street protesting........

Have they skipped the previous & other contributory factors around his death?

It wasn`t his car.
Failed to get out of the car after the ramming despite multiple requests by armed officers.

🤷‍♂️
The BBC need to be careful as to what it report as 'facts' if this is to end up in court. The police have been known to er stretch the truth in the past. Not saying they have here but fair trial and all that.

It wasn`t his car.
You may know more about armed police procedures than me, but which of those points that you’ve listed authorises armed police officers to discharge their weapons or use deadly force?

For example, my understanding of it is that while knowledge of prior convictions might inform how police will act, it’s not acceptable as a reason as to why police would discharge their firearms. Same with failing to stop and the rest of your points. Unless they believe that their life is in danger, or that the suspect has a weapon and is reaching for it, they shouldn’t really be shooting…

You may know more about armed police procedures than me, but which of those points that you’ve listed authorises armed police officers to discharge their weapons or use deadly force?

For example, my understanding of it is that while knowledge of prior convictions might inform how police will act, it’s not acceptable as a reason as to why police would discharge their firearms. Same with failing to stop and the rest of your points. Unless they believe that their life is in danger, or that the suspect has a weapon and is reaching for it, they shouldn’t really be shooting…

Based on what has been reported and said, it is likely his behaviour was deemed "intentional and threatening".

Police guidance says they can make the decision based on that:
"To prevent an immediate threat to life by shooting to stop the subject from carrying out their intended or threatened course of action. In most circumstances this is achieved by aiming to strike the central body mass (i.e. the torso)."

Of course there is the possibility there was an accidental discharge but the real issue is that the victim contributed greatly to his own demise.

Based on what has been reported and said, it is likely his behaviour was deemed "intentional and threatening".

Police guidance says they can make the decision based on that:
"To prevent an immediate threat to life by shooting to stop the subject from carrying out their intended or threatened course of action. In most circumstances this is achieved by aiming to strike the central body mass (i.e. the torso)."

Of course there is the possibility there was an accidental discharge but the real issue is that the victim contributed greatly to his own demise.
I don’t think you’ve interpreted that correctly in terms of any behaviour being intentional and threatening - it sounds as if it’s only if there’s also an immediate threat to life, which I don’t think anyone would have a problem with.

I’ve seen first hand situations in which a mentally disturbed person is carrying a knife, and being very threatening, and yet armed police haven’t shot them, presumably because that is a last resort.

Your final argument is a slightly different one, I’m not sure that it’s wrong exactly, but I still feel uncomfortable with the idea. Even failing to stop when ordered to by police, or trying to ram a police car, shouldn’t be a death sentence. However, the full details aren’t known yet and I have every faith in the IOPC to have a full and fair investigation.

I’ve seen first hand situations in which a mentally disturbed person is carrying a knife, and being very threatening, and yet armed police haven’t shot them, presumably because that is a last resort.
Very different circumstance though, a knife by it's very nature requires the proximity to be closed before it can become a real and immediate threat, so therefor the immediacy of the threat is reduced, a firearm does not, so as soon as a finger is on the trigger, it is immediately a high level threat, hence any reach for what is believed to be a firearm could cause an officer to deem this a threat to their or their colleagues lives and take the appropriate action.

Given the information the officers had, there would undoubtedly have been a suspicion that a firearm may have been present in the vehicle or on the person. Other uses of force are also out of the window due to him being in the vehicle, think taser etc.

The officer may well be guilty, but it's rarely clear cut.

I feel for the victims family of course but the sad thing is, it's highly likely that suspending the officer will lead to a significant drop in morale, especially by those who volunteer to carry firearms, and why, to try to appease the BLM movement? Because it won't heal the pain for the victims family.

it's highly likely that suspending the officer will lead to a significant drop in morale, especially by those who volunteer to carry firearms, and why, to try to appease the BLM movement?
I think it's highly more likely that following such a fatality an officer will be stood down or suspended for a period rather than go back on the streets the day after. And I think it is similarly highly likely they know this in advance. It goes with the territory of a very high pressured and dangerous job. I'd also would expect this to be so irrespective of the background of the deceased.

I think it's highly more likely that following such a fatality an officer will be stood down or suspended for a period rather than go back on the streets the day after. And I think it is similarly highly likely they know this in advance. It goes with the territory of a very high pressured and dangerous job. I'd also would expect this to be so irrespective of the background of the deceased.
They were on restricted duties already, that is standard procedure following a fatal shooting, meaning they stopped carrying a firearm and going out on the streets the moment it happened. They are not routinely suspended

I'd want my employer to support me until the evidence suggests they shouldn't, I suspect deep down, so would you.

Last edited:
They were on restricted duties already, that is standard procedure following a fatal shooting, meaning they stopped carrying a firearm and going out on the streets the moment it happened. They are not routinely suspended

I'd want my employer to support me until the evidence suggests they shouldn't, I suspect deep down, so would you.
Absolutely. Are you suggesting they do not have sufficient detail to merit a suspension? That quite a claim.

"They didn`t find a gun" whined a relative in an interview.

No but he used a ton of car as a weapon to ram a police car, and could well have tried the same towards individual officers. An imminent threat to life....

Back
Top Bottom