EPL Assistant referee elbows Andy Robertson

Steve Gilbert

Looks like the assistant referee in the Liverpool v Arsenal game flicks his elbow at Andy Robertson.
After the Mitrovitc sending off at Fulham and his lengthy ban, it will be very interesting to see how the FA deal with this.

You shouldn't be raising your hands at all, and I'm sure action will be taken (and rightly so). The level of injury or intent to cause harm are irrelevant.

I ddint see any hands rasied. Just his arm elevated to shrug off a moaning and aggressive footballer grabbing at him

Come on! He raised an elbow towards a player that may well have been moaning but was no way aggressive.

Come on! He raised an elbow towards a player that may well have been moaning but was no way aggressive.
Don't know what video you have seen. From the video I have seen it looks like Robertson approaches him aggressively, gets into his personal space and grabs the lino's arm/hand. The lino then does what most people would do, shakes his arm to get him off/away/stopping him doing it further and then walks away from the situation. Robertson is then seen touching his mouth but apparently later says he was elbowed in the throat so not sure why he is touching his mouth🤷. I hope the lino doesn't get in trouble, shouldn't have to take evasive action to stop an angry player like that getting in his space and grabbing at him. Hopefully Robertson gets a long ban. Keane summarised it well.

Last edited:
All for it, let’s see refs etc start attacking players, could really add to the excitement. Refs should have tasers.

Who knew, I was ahead of my time when I started taking the P**s out of players after they screwed up.

Storm in a teacup time Robertson really milked it after having a pretty torrid afternoon. No doubt the lino will be quietly dropped for a few weeks hopefully that will be the end of it. Loved the very audible fan bad language I think the commentators were laughing so much they couldnt actually speak for about 30 seconds.

It does pee me off that professional footballers think they can froth at the mouth and spittle abuse in someone’s face without the fear of retribution. Would they do that to someone having a bevy in The Blackbird? 😳

Reminds me when my son was playing in the U14’s. The opposing manager had a reputation for giving refs abuse, this game had a bit of rivalry and he was in fine form and gave personal abuse as well until the ref lumped him one.
Wrong thing to do I know but as it happened I must admit I thought good for you as did most parents apparently.

Looking at the video, the linesman was completely well out of order with that....

He should have elbowed him been a lot harder, and made sure he stayed down!

Seriously though, Robertson grabbed hold of the official, and he shrugged him off and accidentally brushed his chin. He invaded the official's personal space, and was well with in his rights to shrug the scouse yob off. Following Mitrovic's derisory 8 game ban, it seems to be more a more common practice for players to manhandle officials, so sadly this is going to happen more and more.

I would have done the same if someone put hands on me so fair game from the assistant. Footballs gone soft if the assistant gets in trouble for that.

I would have done the same if someone put hands on me so fair game from the assistant. Footballs gone soft if the assistant gets in trouble for that.
We have just seen a player get an 8 game ban for pulling on a refs arm, I’d say that the Lino will certainly get a similar ban.

And Robertson should get a similar ban for touching the official.
He absolutely should he initiated contact. The ref should have sent him off instead of trying to "manage" the players and be mates with them. When I was a ref I once refereed with a devout Catholic any hint of swearing even if not directed at the officials but in a decenting manner got sent to an early bath. Bring back the good old days of David Ellery and co propped school teachers who didn't want to be the players mates.

He absolutely should he initiated contact. The ref should have sent him off instead of trying to "manage" the players and be mates with them. When I was a ref I once refereed with a devout Catholic any hint of swearing even if not directed at the officials but in a decenting manner got sent to an early bath. Bring back the good old days of David Ellery and co propped school teachers who didn't want to be the players mates.
I think the fact he booked the player rather than sent him off suggests any aggression/contact was minimal/non-existant.

Back
Top Bottom