League One Crazy referee

heard on a news report earlier that Drysdale is being 'charged' with something (?) probably bringing the game into disrepute(?) ... and has a couple of weeks to 'respond'
I don't think he is the greatest ref but I hope this incident doesn't ruin his career. The amount of verbal abuse players give officials is unbelievable. You hear it more now because there are no crowds. People have said why can't it be more like Rugby. It can only be like that if the governing body (FA) take a zero tolerance to it. They have rightly done this with racism in the game and need to do it with verbal abuse of any nature including towards refs. I manage a kids team and it's hard to teach kids respect towards the ref and other players when they see professional footballers doing the opposite each week.

My thought on this is that we may get the backlash from the next Ref for Ipswich on Saturday. The Ref may not want to be seen to be 'picking' on Ipswich so I wouldn't be surprised if we have a player sent off or Ipswich get a dubious penalty etc.

Check this video out (from 5.35 onwards). This is the current Head of Referees in Germany by the way...

This is in the German playoff final. Very tense situation and he was about to book the guy when he was asking him to come over. Message from his assistant in his ear "He's already on a yellow!". So he thought what he should do to rectify the situation. Didn't want to influence the game to such a huge extent with a "soft" second yellow. So he thought, "let's try it this way". The only thing he was worried about is what happens if the player goes to ground.

Lamberts reaction is all an attempt to get the red card for his player rescinded. Hes a man under pressure and desperate to have all his best players available, for possibly his last game, against us 😉

Sorry the FA MUST back the ref in these situations.
I don`t care that Drysdale is inconsistent or otherwise, he is suitably qualified for the level and there aren`t enough of those folk willing to take it on as it is.
As a human being he also has his limits and the question must only be what pushed him to react like that.

With reference to rugby there would have been no question from the RFU the referee would be backed 100%.

Oh for the days of the likes of Roger Fitzpatrick and others who would have a laugh and engage with players when being given the verbals etc.

The game was taken away from officials by attitudes of the players ,managers, tv companies and lately var

What I don't understand is that surely abusing the ref is an offence? So if players are speaking out of turn, give them a yellow card. They do it again - sent them off. That would cut it down a bit, I reckon ;)

My dad was a ref.
Officiating the local cup final one young chap shouted "Are you f*cking blind, referee?"
Goes over to him..."What did you say to me?"
Guy replies "Are you f*cking deaf as well?"
They had a laugh, he went in the book.

My thought on this is that we may get the backlash from the next Ref for Ipswich on Saturday. The Ref may not want to be seen to be 'picking' on Ipswich so I wouldn't be surprised if we have a player sent off or Ipswich get a dubious penalty etc.
Yeah, he'll have been told.

Well he certainly favoured Ipswich. Throwing an arm into a face nowhere near the ball isn't a foul nevermind a yellow card apparently. Yet our players, out comes the card. Nsiala fouling Matty Taylor in the 1st half, on one occasion Nsiala not even bothering to look at the ball whilst holding Taylor. Forde rightly booked but their players make similarly cynical fouls to stop breaks, nah just a free kick.

Oh for the days of the likes of Roger Fitzpatrick and others who would have a laugh and engage with players when being given the verbals etc.

The game was taken away from officials by attitudes of the players ,managers, tv companies and lately var
Fitzpatrick was a nightmare, my first season watching Oxford was 72-73, and I can remember him being hopeless then, and I was only 9.
Even nick Harris said today’s ref was bad and he doesn’t normally bad mouth refs.
I don’t see why what happened with Ipswich on tuesday should give them a homer ref today. It would be good to know what judge said to make tuesdays ref react like that, it’s not like drysdales not used to being called s**t.

Should have just sent him off then.

Should have nutted the diving cheat then sent him off to rub it in.

And Judge should be brought to task as well, hopefully by every Ref he now has doing Ipswich games and give him no leniency.

Back
Top Bottom