Away Match Day Thread 18/05/2024: L1 Play-Off Final - Bolton vs Oxford

MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Happy Sunday!
Sorted out the scrapes, bruises and stiff bits!
Falling over seats isn`t good for old folk.
Saw people I`ve not seen for 35+ years and some of the old Quarry Gate chaps.

We took the noise and the buzz at the West end was incredible compared to Bolton who had the "just turn up and we`ll win" mindset.

What.A.Day.
Watching on ESPN it seemed like all the noise came from Oxford

Watching on ESPN it seemed like all the noise came from Oxford
As I said before the game, the acoustics at Wembley are terrible. The sound reflects around, making singing sound muddy and all over the place. When you are actually there, all you hear is a muffled din most of the time. We *seemed* louder, but that was from behind the goal - maybe those sitting nearer the halfway line would have a better idea?

I thought the large flags were good (both the Jim Smith surfer and the wavers) and added to the day. Well done whoever was responsible for those.

Agree. So many of us, myself included, were so, so wrong.

Thank god the club stuck with him, when so many of us had thrown in the towel.

He's done us proud, and it really couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

The fact he really is one of our own, as a young fan, an academy player, former coach, and now manager, makes it all so much sweeter!

He's now a club legend!

Well done Des πŸ’›

Let’s hope he is given the space to settle us into the Championship…

He’s earned the right.

The definition of 'delusional' from The Peterborough Adveriser

I know it's difficult but you've got to feel sorry for them really

'It was a contest that should have frustrated Posh folk. Darren Ferguson’s side would surely have fancied turning over either of these limited sides on the lush expanse of a Wembley pitch.'

They really are a sour bunch… absolutely no class.

They had their chance, they blew it.

They need to get over themselves.

Going to get a copy of the sky sports coverage and watch that. Will be interesting to hear their view during points on the game.

I wanted to see their coverage before the game and compare it with the half time chat but the full match highlights on Sky doesn't show them.

What happened yesterday will probably take a while to sink in!

The atmosphere beforehand was special! Credit @John Lennon and all of them involved waving their flags, that amazing surfer flag. Brilliant work everyone.

The game
Being a pessimist by nature I never saw that coming. I can't be the only one who just felt Bolton completely and utterly failed to "turn up", or maybe I'm not giving us the credit we deserve for totally and utterly nullifying and blunting their attack.

It felt scrappy in the first 25 minutes or so. I thought Goodrham looked very, very tidy on the ball though. Then Murphy cuts inside and it's pandemonium. And before the half is out, the legend only goes and does it again after good work from Rueben!

Bizarrely, I never felt that nervous in the second half. You could argue we had to cling on against Pboro. Not yesterday, it was comfortable. Whether forced or not, the subs worked perfectly and I felt we could have had even more.

Joe Bennett really is a rolls-royce of a footballer, the way he helped us close the game out at the end was exemplary and showed footballing IQ beyond what we usually see. Instead of lumping it forward, chopping past a player and picking a pass. Beautiful, the whole back 4 did it at times too.
No gloating from me though, I have zero against Bolton and I cannot imagine how frustrating it is when your team just don't really do anything in such a big game. Maybe some of their fans were overconfident/ arrogant but I bet most weren't. Being on the other side of a game like that is horrible. It was our day in the sun!

Joe Bennett really is a rolls-royce of a footballer, the way he helped us close the game out at the end was exemplary and showed footballing IQ beyond what we usually see. Instead of lumping it forward, chopping past a player and picking a pass. Beautiful, the whole back 4 did it at times too.

Couple of other words on specific players

Brannagan

IMO he cemented his place as a club legend yesterday. One of the best players I've ever seen pull the shirt on, and I love his passion. He stayed with us and did what he set out to do. Thank you so much Cameron, catch those carp in the summer!
Moore
I have no idea what was said to pull us out of the bad side of this season, but from the way he talked on the Dub I have no doubt he played his part. Top centre back and a top man as well.

Brown

The lad always gave his all as left-back, and got stick as it wasn't his natural position, he's ace as a L1 Centre Back and deserves praise.

Murphy
I never saw his turnaround coming, what a hero. No matter what happens in the close season, THANK YOU for giving the club and its supporters an awesome day yesterday.

I gave words about Des on the apology thread.

A look to next season
1716121197226.png

FOSB, Tell us again we don't need to leave the Kassam!

Lot's of games to look forward to, but a huge recruitment challenge ahead just to compete. If we repeat what Argyle managed this season, that will be incredible. I would urge anyone to look at the championship wage bills and compare to our own, next season is backs to the walls, us against the world stuff. We are going to have to stick with the lads through some tough patches.

All of us knew League One inside out, what's needed to survive in the Championship? I don't know but I'd imagine you need some players in with plenty of Championship experience. Norwich have 4 players earning about Β£30,000 a week! It's a big ask.

But what an exciting challenge. How far we have come as a club from playing Histon, Lewes, Stafford, Weymouth, Droylsden, Hayes & Yeading, and all those clubs in League fixtures!

What a club, let silly season commence and hope all posters have a lovely summer before it all gets going again!

Wouldn't be a WY post without my customary "gripe" at something, but a group of about 7 were all stood on my row (block 135) and causing a pile up, I politely asked the gentlemen to move to his seats and was met with a brush off "deal with it", the rudeness caused me to go full Karen and get a steward, on their way past me I was called a "c***, * f----ing c***, t***, p***** and I was also shoved by a member of the group, a man in a blue Oxford top with silver hair in a bun. Look, on an away day, sit where you want, but you were making it uncomfortable in there, and when you left the whole area told me your group were "co-ed up idiots" and thanked me. We all support the same team. If you'd have been good humoured with me I could've coped, but you all crossed the line and I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say your behaviour was driven by booze and chemicals and you are not all just ignoramuses.

Anyway, up the U's!

As I said before the game, the acoustics at Wembley are terrible. The sound reflects around, making singing sound muddy and all over the place. When you are actually there, all you hear is a muffled din most of the time. We *seemed* louder, but that was from behind the goal - maybe those sitting nearer the halfway line would have a better idea?

I thought the large flags were good (both the Jim Smith surfer and the wavers) and added to the day. Well done whoever was responsible for those.

I was in block 230 and although I’m biased I genuinely thought the noise from the Oxford end was much louder throughout the whole match.

The surfer and flags set the scene, our early play and tactical nous created confusion and concern amongst the Bolton and as a fan group they never really got going, a bit like their team.

Clearly our two goals helped, but we were making more noise and colour before the first goal, after that and the way Bolton we nullified they were even more subdued.

Our support was excellent.

That’s how it came across to me.

Nice article, although Josh's first goal was of course not 'after the hour' unless your hours have 30 minutes in them...

• React
Reactions: m
Back
Top Bottom