Away Match Day Thread 17/02/2024 L1: Wycombe Wanderers v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Really, I thought you were more intelligent than this!

People who have played the game cannot explain where they get that extra second wind from, but we all know it happens when things are going right. Itโ€™s a thought you can run forever and seem pretty invincible.

Your analysis doesnโ€™t hold much water from minute one of a match though!

Yeah I feel foolish to ignore sports science, bio mechanics and physiology for that renowned phenomenon of a "second wind"

You have to get someone to take Thorniley, which wonโ€™t be easy.

He would be fourth choice not third though, Brown, Moore, Negru then Thorniley/Findlay. If Findlay plays you have to accept that you canโ€™t use him to knock the ball about at the back, the bloke canโ€™t pass.
He has promotions on his CV from this league and I've heard nothing to suggest he isn't anything but a good pro behind the scenes. I think there would be plenty of interest if he became surplus to requirements here.

Here he comes again, the Sam Long devotee.

Longโ€™s display was not great, but it certainly wasnโ€™t โ€˜horrificโ€™. He certainly played better than many further up the pitch. Goodhram eg was totally obliterated and looked very happy to be taken off.

We actually performed better at Adams Park yesterday than any Robinson side. Plenty of guts on display , admittedly, not much quality , but youโ€™re not allowed any time on the ball by the Buckinghamshire orcs. Happy with the point.
Yep and Iโ€™ll be back again, the same way I was with Eastwood and the same way I was with Ciaron Brown playing at left back - fair to say I didnโ€™t miss with either of those despite flying in the face of the majority for months on end.

Iโ€™m perfectly happy if people take a different view on Longโ€™s performance. We all watched the same game, itโ€™s up to each of us what you think is befitting of an Oxford United player in the here and now for where it is we are aiming to go. As you do so, consider a handful of clubs that have done it before us and whether the likes of Long couldโ€™ve done as good or better than what they had and have a reasonable chance of playing for them - not in 2019 or whatever, now. Also consider that Greg Leigh was a second choice left back for a team at our level last year.

Itโ€™s not a Sam Long thing, itโ€™s a standards thing. The same as all the others.

Not sure I get the 4 uninspiring draws.

One was against the top of the table team that have since won the following 4 games after our draw.

2 were away games to places where we always find it hard to get a result and teams who form was better than ours before our visit. Wycombe beat Peterborough and even though they were beaten by Bolton the stats and people who watched the game said Wycombe should of won. Blackpool beat Peterborough away yesterday and are normally very strong at home.

Only one we should be disappointed at is the Reading home game but then a derby game is always a game where the players and opposition are more up for it. Reading beat Stevenage away the week after we played them.

The atmosphere on this forum is exactly like it is in the stands currently. Anyone would think we were 6th from bottom and flirting with relegation with all the negativity.
My point was more in regard to the performances in those draws, we seem to lack the fire, aggression, desire, and ruthlessness to really take the games by the scruff of the neck, and try to actually get the win. We seemed very passive, and content with the draws, but in each game, the opposition were there for the taking.

We're still in the playoffs, and still in the mix, but if we're still there come the end of the season, I fear our lack of bite and killer instinct could be our undoing.

Lets hope Des can ignite a fire under them...

Jesus, there's a lot of squabbling going on!

Both sides of the argument make valid points, there's plenty to be concerned about, but also lots to be positive about.

We're not playing well at the moment, and haven't played well since Des has been here, it's concerning, as you do wonder what the tactics are in games, as we often look devoid of any meaningful direction.

But thankfully, the form of a lot of playoff chasing sides has been equally patchy, and we haven't been punished for our indifferent form, and we're still hanging on in there, comfortably in the mix. That's a positive that we shouldn't overlook. Everything's still up for grabs.

There has been a lot of injuries, and some questions do need to be asked as to why. Is it poor training techniques, poor fitness coaching, or simply poor recruitment? Or is it just plain old bad luck?

We knew under Manning, that it wasn't gonna be a quick fix, and would require a few windows to sort out the mess that KR left us in, well that's not changed now that Des is manager, it's still very much a work in progress, and will take time. But it is concerning that we're looking a lot worse under Des than we did under Manning, although the wheels were coming off before Manning jumped ship, but unfortunately there's been no improvement since.

But we're 5 games unbeaten, although 4 of those have been very uninspiring draws, and yes, we're not good to watch right now, and we're not winning many games, but we're not losing many games either, and we're still in the mix.

But let's be honest, regardless of how we're performing in games right now, after last season's shambles, if anyone was offered 6th place at this stage of this season, they would've happily taken it.

Fair enough, it's a bit of a mixed bag at the moment, but you've gotta chill out guys, yeah? You'll never support another club like this in your life, FACT.

Go and get the guitar...
39D1E46E-94D5-4285-9B83-7A0650715EDA.jpeg

Get this man around a table with Netanyahu and Hamas, with diplomacy like this Israel/Palestine would be solved in a jiffy!

Anyone with half a brain can see we are now a poorly coached side and that is down to having old school Short and inexperienced Hackett doing it. Des needs someone whom can implement his ideas into the team (he doesnโ€™t seem to be doing it himself) I look forward to the summer when he can get a modern coaching team in place. Until
Then we will have to suffer this turgid football

Brown has been our best player this season. Again.
I would say Brannagan is player of the season so far.
Brown is coming back into form now but I certainly donโ€™t think he has been as good at CB as he was last season at LB.

As for people writing Thorniley off, yes he hasnโ€™t been as good since he came back but before this season he was excellent for Blackpool as well as his first spell here. Iโ€™m not sure you will get many better back up centre backs at this level than him.
Players have poor seasons but I certainly wouldnโ€™t write him off so easily.

Anyone with half a brain can see we are now a poorly coached side and that is down to having old school Short and inexperienced Hackett doing it. Des needs someone whom can implement his ideas into the team (he doesnโ€™t seem to be doing it himself) I look forward to the summer when he can get a modern coaching team in place. Until
Then we will have to suffer this turgid football
So the problem is his current coaching team are too experienced (Short) and not experienced enough (Hackett).

I would say Brannagan is player of the season so far.
Brown is coming back into form now but I certainly donโ€™t think he has been as good at CB as he was last season at LB.

As for people writing Thorniley off, yes he hasnโ€™t been as good since he came back but before this season he was excellent for Blackpool as well as his first spell here. Iโ€™m not sure you will get many better back up centre backs at this level than him.
Players have poor seasons but I certainly wouldnโ€™t write him off so easily.

I think Elliott Moore has been immense this season. Brannagan and Brown both very good, and Harris and Goodrham are both finishing the season strongly. But if we were voting for player of the season today then Moore would get my vote.

I think Elliott Moore has been immense this season. Brannagan and Brown both very good, and Harris and Goodrham are both finishing the season strongly. But if we were voting for player of the season today then Moore would get my vote.
I do agree that Moore has been a rock this season and much improved this year.

Iโ€™d personally vote for Long though ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‚

Hang on! Scrongo said Moore is a donkey. Who should I believe?

Back
Top Bottom