Away Match Day Thread 17/02/2024 L1: Wycombe Wanderers v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Iโ€™m afraid that the ref bottled the penalty decision. Was right behind it and thatโ€™s a stone wall penalty whether itโ€™s for Oxford,Swindon or Wycombe. He simply bottled it and that is unacceptable. We looked disjointed and like weโ€™d never played together for 65 minutes of that game, final 25 was better but referee bottled a simply decision imo.

A good point earned but not the most convincing of displays. If we can bag a win Tuesday then it'll open up a nice gap going into the weekend. Still unbeaten in 4 though but we could do with two big wins before Pompey.

Iโ€™m afraid that the ref bottled the penalty decision. Was right behind it and thatโ€™s a stone wall penalty whether itโ€™s for Oxford,Swindon or Wycombe. He simply bottled it and that is unacceptable. We looked disjointed and like weโ€™d never played together for 65 minutes of that game, final 25 was better but referee bottled a simply decision imo.
what's troubling is that there appear to be some Oxford United fans who don't want to mention this because it doesn't suit their agenda against the manager

A turgid performance that was at best anaemic but often disorganised.

We did not look well prepared, or well coached. I don't think we should simply explain that away as 'one of those games' against a certain type of opposition. We never imposed ourselves on the game and that's not going to be good enough.

We look a very reactive side at times, reliant on moments and circumstances to fire ourselves up, or for the game to change tempo, rather than us controlling it.

Wycombe were more organised out of possession than we were, they pressed more effectively to get the ball back. If we'd done this as effectively, we would likely have won the game, because we have better players.

Our set pieces continue to be dross and there really is no excuse. The lack of an experienced and effective number two is not helping I'm sure, but performances must become more coherent if we are to make the play offs.
The problem isn't the players. It's a manager who is out of his depth.

Too many of our fans feel like you have to be positive or you're not a 'real fan'.

I'm so fed up with it, so lacklustre and aimless. Questions need to be asked of Tim Williams and Grant Ferguson too.

Too many of our fans feel like you have to be positive or you're not a 'real fan'.

I'm so fed up with it, so lacklustre and aimless. Questions need to be asked of Tim Williams and Grant Ferguson too.
So turn up at the forum and ask them!

40 years ago I used to pop up there
Wouldnโ€™t risk it today

Yes. Well, I was over 30 when I moved to the vicinity of Oxford so I never even thought about 'popping up' there. My info came from a parent of a child at a competing school, who claimed to have been furnished with the info by 'common knowledge' among the pupils at said competing school.

God only knows what they get up to nowadays with social media and what-not.

We did poorly in the first half- and better in the second.

We had three or four good chances in the second half. We also had a stonewall penalty not given. If it had there's every reason to think we would have ground out a victory.

But the manager isnโ€™t responsible for an inability to control a ball ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ. It was so noticeably bad today.

Hard to be enthused by the team at the moment, but Wycombe are a team we seem to very often play poorly against. I've similar "is there a gameplan here?" Concerns but don't think that this game ought to be viewed as indicative. Onwards to the next one and a more reasonable place to see where we are at

But the manager isnโ€™t responsible for an inability to control a ball ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ. It was so noticeably bad today.
Exactly

Des it is your fault Goodram and Harris cannot trap a ball
Your fault RR is too slow.

However u need to take the blame when you changed it at half time and took our width away.

Their pitch is tight and they are a physical team. Fair play to them, a well organised team. Their pre and post match music, on the whole is a lot better than ours.

Positives
-5 unbeaten
-clean sheet
-3 points clear in playoffs
-Rusty players getting more game time
-Cummings looking good
-last 30 we picked up
-Despite his rustiness in terms of touch, Goodwin caused issues for their defence just by being able to challenge in the air, creating space for others

Negatives
- not controlling the midfield
- seems like we have an inability to win second balls consistently
-lots of bad touches and poor control (even from players who are not rusty)
-Our right side defensively
- lack of creativity

Yes. Well, I was over 30 when I moved to the vicinity of Oxford so I never even thought about 'popping up' there. My info came from a parent of a child at a competing school, who claimed to have been furnished with the info by 'common knowledge' among the pupils at said competing school.

God only knows what they get up to nowadays with social media and what-not.
Thought I was younger than I really am.
50 years ago
Was seeing a girl, (biological) so not to offend.

I can see us hanging in there and getting near and around the play offs, and we may scrape in to them if we can find a bit of consistency, but I would also say we are nowhere near good enough to compete with the top 3 sides - they all can score more, look much sharper than us and all seem more organised.

We still have huge games against Pompey/Bolton/Posh/Chavenage who are all up there and around the play offs, plus Orient and Cobblers who are in the chasing pack, frankly the next 13 games will all be huge tests for us, and for DB's organisational abilities. He HAS to find a way of getting a 90 minute performance from the team, we can't carry on with this inconsistency and poor halves of football.

He has the goodwill of most of the fan base (tho there are a vocal few on this forum fiercely anti Des) but if we don't start showing some consistency and start to dominate games more and control the ball then others will start to dissent and he will know it, the atmosphere at games can turn quite toxic at times with our fan base!

Need a good result and performance on Tues. COYY's!!

DB may prove to be a significant issue, but the players must also take responsibility. DB isnโ€™t instructing them to misplace simple passes or telling them that itโ€™s important to his plan to be so physically weak in the challenge and to lose almost every second ball. I donโ€™t think those things are due to the system (or lack of one).

Exactly

Des it is your fault Goodram and Harris cannot trap a ball
Your fault RR is too slow.

However u need to take the blame when you changed it at half time and took our width away.

I would have liked Burey to have been involved.

Back
Top Bottom