Home Match Build Up 13/02/2024 L1: OUFC v Wigan Athletic

What will the result be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We are charging Wigan £29 on the day for tickets!? Did they charge us that? Seems steep!
We should be taking a leap out if derby's game only charged Shrewsbury £16 on Saturday I agree £29 is excessive for a league 1 game what Wigan going to bring 200 if we're lucky don't see what the club is gaining charging that

We should be taking a leap out if derby's game only charged Shrewsbury £16 on Saturday I agree £29 is excessive for a league 1 game what Wigan going to bring 200 if we're lucky don't see what the club is gaining charging that
Really unappealing fixture for Wigan fans, there will be just one coach and some London exiles I bet. Should be discounted

Cumming
Long Moore Brown Leigh
Matete Brannagan
Goodhram Harris Murphy
Goodwin

Subs: Eastwood, Thorniley, McGuane, Rodders, Bruery, Bodin, Dale
What a difference having a few players back makes to the squad and the strength in depth!
I’d give a rest to Ruben and McGuane to freshen it up.

As for the ticket prices, we have charged away fans £29 on the day all season.

Attachments

• IMG_3760.jpeg
    IMG_3760.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Hoping that things finally click. We're all desperate for the win, a clean sheet and a decent performance ideally for most of the 90+ minutes. Squad and bench taking shape, players returning from injury and Des seeming more positive. Working in Norwich tomorrow so unfortunately won't make it.

Oxford 2-0 Wigan

COYYs!

For me, McGuane needs a couple of games off to recharge. He's not been at his best for a good while now - the drives through the midfield are rare at the moment, and he's playing too many poor passes and surrendering too much cheap possession. Thankfully looks like Matete is ready to come in and start.

I'd be inclined to rest Goodrham as well. Tyler's been fine but he's played a lot lately and tends to drift in and out. Maybe get him a breather.
Don't want to start Murphy, though, because he'll only hurt himself again......30-45 minutes as an impact sub seems to be his thing; and I don't want to see Bodin out wide because he doesn't have the legs for it. So it's either Dale to start, or Goodwin to start and have Harris coming in from wide.

Rest as you were.
I agree re your thoughts on McGuane and Goodrham. I would add Rodrigues in as well.
He's looked a bit leggy recently.
We have players coming back, it's time to utilize the squad.
Rotation needs to be implemented until the end of the season to keep everyone fresh and rested.

For me, McGuane needs a couple of games off to recharge. He's not been at his best for a good while now - the drives through the midfield are rare at the moment, and he's playing too many poor passes and surrendering too much cheap possession. Thankfully looks like Matete is ready to come in and start.

I'd be inclined to rest Goodrham as well. Tyler's been fine but he's played a lot lately and tends to drift in and out. Maybe get him a breather.
Don't want to start Murphy, though, because he'll only hurt himself again......30-45 minutes as an impact sub seems to be his thing; and I don't want to see Bodin out wide because he doesn't have the legs for it. So it's either Dale to start, or Goodwin to start and have Harris coming in from wide.

Rest as you were.

Matete has to start. Real quality.

McGuane is unfit. He was effectively a passenger on Saturday. Kept on holding his thigh. I’d also bench Rodrigues, he’s lost a lot of snap

Agree re Tyler G.

Would play Bodin in the hole and start Dale and Murphy. Goodwin on bench.

Last edited:
I'd like to see Matete start and Cam freed up to push on a bit....Harris could play the 10 role behind Goodwin? Dale and Burey wide. Long and Leigh are our strongest pairing at full backs and Moore with Brown in the middle. Cumming in goal.

Easty on the bench. McGuane, Rodrigues, Goodrham, Murphy, Bodin all good options to come on. Bennett, Stevens and Negru are the defensive options but they are all fighting to be on the bench. Thorniley/McEachran/Henry/Smyth to miss out plus two of the above?

What choices DB has now!! Over to you Des!!

Macguane was not "effectively a passenger on Saturday"

Can't think of another player who gets such undeserved hate.

He may not be up to the very best of his season but he played well missed a chance but recovered the situation well and his lay off to Harris was exquisite.

perhaps ( like Brannagan Rodrigues and Goodrham ) he could do with a rest after back to back Tuesday-Saturday games since the new year- but he is an outstanding player and hugely underappreciated

Macguane was not "effectively a passenger on Saturday"

Can't think of another player who gets such undeserved hate.

He may not be up to the very best of his season but he played well missed a chance but recovered the situation well and his lay off to Harris was exquisite.

perhaps ( like Brannagan Rodrigues and Goodrham ) he could do with a rest after back to back Tuesday-Saturday games since the new year- but he is an outstanding player and hugely underappreciated

‘Undeserved hate’? Hold on, chap. He’s a good player.

But he’s not fit. I bet he’s he been playing with injections for ages.

‘Undeserved hate’? Hold on, chap. He’s a good player.

But he’s not fit. I bet he’s he been playing with injections for ages.
Fair enough. maybe say "playing through pain" or "playing with injections" "effectively a passenger "suggests he's not making a contribution at all. .

Last edited:
Starters:
Cumming
Long, Moore, Brown, Leigh
Matete
Dale, Brannagan, Bodin, Burey
Harris

Subs:
Eastwood, Negru, McGuane, Goodrham, Rodrigues, Murphy, Goodwin.

That gives a good balance of pace and invention between the starting eleven and the substitutes. It also gives McGuane, Goodrham and Rodrigues a break. It also brings back Murphy and Goodwin more gradually from injury.

Oxford United 2 - Wigan Athletic 0.

Are we not able to get a Dot Count on this one presumably, due to the online ticket system not working?

Back
Top Bottom