Home Match Day Thread 12/08/2023 L1: OUFC v Carlisle

Who’s it MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Good day's results - three games watched, three wins. Thanks Oxford for grinding that one out.

The kind of game people who mount a promotion campaign grind out.

Or teams who only win one game all season. But happy today!

Also credit to Negru who stepped in and for Goodrham and O'Donkor for perfectly judging the game when they came on.

Full Time 1-0

I don’t care about the performance, even though it was quite poor at times. All that matters is getting them first 3 points. We will need to improve, two tough away games coming up Derby and Barnsley.

Carlisle looked pretty dire it has to be said. It’s a long old season, and they have time to get better. Good showing from there fans too. Wish them a safe journey back, because it’s one hell of a trek.

Negru MOTM I can see him being a starter soon, superb prospect.

Well deserved 3 points. Still work to do in the final third. Definitely need a striker with some pace.

Stuttering start, but got into the game more as things went on. Great to nab the goal (especially Harris with it) and get the win over the line. Plenty still to work on including starting games better and taking our chances in the attacking third, but this win builds confidence with the players, and hopefully a little more patience from those already restless two games in.

And for those who groan and boo at the goal kicks, you're not only wasting your breath, but it's hardly the sort of support a developing side needs.

Alot good stuff, onwards and upwards we need more .Alot of players to get rid of and more to come in alot of good work around the goal area ,sadly I wonder how long Browne will be out for.

Better performance but still not playing at the level that'll trouble the playoffs, hopefully that'll come.

Negru my man of the match. I love having Harris' pace up front. Needs support/competition though.

I don't understand a centre back taking the goal kick and passing BACKWARDS to Beadle to send it long, that just allows the opposition to enter the box.

Good to get points OM the board, three very difficult games coming up.

I don't understand a centre back taking the goal kick and passing BACKWARDS to Beadle to send it long, that just allows the opposition to enter the box.
Couple of reasons for this. Beadle has the option to go long, but he also has a couple of options passing to defenders (the other CB and the RB). Having an attacker closing you down also means it's one less player man marking one of your defenders, leaving them free to receive the pass. To combat playing out short you need a high press, which then brings out the space as the opposition have to play higher up the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom