Home Match Day Thread 12/08/2023 L1: OUFC v Carlisle

Who’s it MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hold on a minute
Last season and this season to date Sam Long may not have been at his best when defending but you have to look at the players in front of him in that situation.When he had Sykes, Whyte or Williams there he had players who would get back track their man and help out defensively.
He hasn’t had that since, it’s frightening how many times there are two players he has to mark.Browne was abysmal at helping out on Saturday.
If we sort that out I feel you will see a better player but even Baldock or Kenny would have their work cut out with the lack of support he gets.
Can we do better than Sam, yes of course but we have to look at other players and their responsibility to defend.
True, wide players MUST work together at all times but we're creeping in to cop-out territory here because for one example, if you look at the goal vs Cambridge that came down his side, Rodrigues - the 10 - has gone full-tilt in to the space he's gone diving out of, to Manning's annoyance in the post match. We can't say his team aren't helping him. When Browne is collaring him twice in 5 minutes for being too deep, it suggests he's not doing his bit for the partnership either. Brown seemed to manage OK defensively last season with a variety of players ahead of him on the wing.

Also, and this isn't aimed at your post specifically by any means, but it's just funny how we can recognise the damage overlaps can do in this conversation since people conveniently ignore that when we talk about the attacking contributions of our own full backs. 'Don't worry Sam, not much you can do about an overlap. But you're a defender so just defend. Browne can manage'.
Squad players, steady, doesn't do anything wrong.
This is emphatically false but even if that were true, you don't give players of that profile 3 year contracts. He's regressed badly since his only good season while our standards are supposedly rising. More should be expected. A lot more. He needs to make a statement this week across 2 tough games and show that his defensive abilities - supposedly what he's in the team for - are worth having at the cost of all creativity from that position.

Hold on a minute
Last season and this season to date Sam Long may not have been at his best when defending but you have to look at the players in front of him in that situation.When he had Sykes, Whyte or Williams there he had players who would get back track their man and help out defensively.
He hasn’t had that since, it’s frightening how many times there are two players he has to mark.Browne was abysmal at helping out on Saturday.
If we sort that out I feel you will see a better player but even Baldock or Kenny would have their work cut out with the lack of support he gets.
Can we do better than Sam, yes of course but we have to look at other players and their responsibility to defend.
This is absolutely right. The singling out of Sam Long is getting boring now. He is, and has always been, a technically limited player but a solid and disciplined defensive right back. Admittedly he did have one swashbuckling season but that was an outlier for him (and most of the team tbh) and was followed by a nasty injury the following season which seemed to permanently take a yard off his pace.

We've conceded two league goals this season, one from our left after Brown went upfield for no real reason and lost the ball resulting in a bang average cross which we messed up in the centre, the other after Sam Long progressed forward with Browne covering and failing to prevent the cross. That second was a freakishly good goal too - we won't see many like that this season: superb flick and pinpoint cross.

Here's what Sam Long is better than average at imo...

- Preventing balls behind, especially from deep. In his entire Oxford career he's conceded only a handful of these that I can remember and even when they do happen he's typically pretty good at recovery. These make up a pretty high percentage of third tier goals so not to be sniffed at.

- Sending wingers out wide in 1 on 1s. Long is well above average for a L1 right back at playing the percentages and keeping his man away from the danger zone between the edge of the area and the byline.

- Communication and leadership - it's a low bar at Oxford these days but Sam is one of our more vocal and disciplined players who often has an underappreciated role in directing others, especially when we flap and start losing our shape. When heads are down elsewhere Longy stands tall.

- Aerial duels. Wins a good % and never, ever fails to at least compete unlike some wide defenders I can think of.

- Professionalism and seemingly eternal willingness to step up when needed or to take a back seat as a squad player when asked. Imagine trying to sign another RB at our level with his experience and relative solidity, on comparatively modest money who would be happy and willing to do this. Maybe a 35 year old crock on a last pay check?

- Rarely relevant these days but he's also a pretty decent (and early) crosser for a defensive RB

His limitations are well rehearsed: First touch often heavy, below average technique (especially in tight areas), comparatively weak passing, no real attacking threat unless we're totally bossing a game and the midfield is humming.

It's quite reasonable to argue that Sam's weaknesses combined with a lack of creative quality and pace on the left side is holding us back. I'd agree. But to argue that the idea of playing Sam Long might be the 'reason' we lose a game or should strike fear in our hearts is utter nonsense which flies in the face of years of evidence. There's a reason multiple managers playing numerous styles of football have appreciated what he offers in certain circumstances. What I'll be looking out for at Derby tomorrow night is a marked improvement in our midfield discipline and *much* more commitment from our wide attackers to join the fight, press harder and track better to prevent 2 on 1s down the wing. I'd quite like Tyler back on the right of attack for an away game against decent opponents, even if he's marked out of the game he never stops working and 'pestering' out of possession. Or maybe Stevens as a winger to work his ass off up and down the line and hopefully deliver some more crosses like the one against Bristol City? Unless there's something I'm not seeing Stevens is not the answer to our RB question unless we're playing 3/5 at the back.

Rant over. We need at least one more fullback to move forward. Until then scapegoating Sam Long is helping noone.

I'd suggest watching it back if you can because we were really not that bad, and Sam Long did very little wrong other than when overloaded on the right with Browne not tracking back.
I disagree there Browne would be knackerd if he kept on coming back to cover for Long, Saturday was not a good day for Sam and I agree Sam Long was a liability.

Last edited:
I disagree there Browne would be knackerd if he kept on coming back to cover for Long, Saturday was not a good day for Sam and I agree Sam Long was a liability.
If we're playing 4231 that is literally the main responsibility of our wide attackers when out of possession. Press hard and high against passing teams, track runners from deep if opposition go more direct and double up with the fullback as cover. We either need players who are fit enough to do this for 90 mins (a big ask when we're still finding our feet in midfield) or options off the bench.

Last edited:
Shame about Draper’s recent conduct though 😬
Ohh what did he do? vote brexit? anti-vaxxer? Six was a cracking album - i went to a private 100 people gig at a Virgin Megastore in London for the launch, and met the band and got my copy signed..

Just shows that people see things very differently. I didn't watch every game this weekend so there may have been 23 awful right back performances and Sam Long got player of the week by default. Alternatively, those who independently assess performances had a less emotional view of things and rated Long as having a half decent game after all.

Along with @ThatSlopesATwelfthMan excellent analysis maybe we've got a good solid player after all, but I guess it's easier to just scream "he's crap and a centre back anyway!!!"

Just shows that people see things very differently. I didn't watch every game this weekend so there may have been 23 awful right back performances and Sam Long got player of the week by default. Alternatively, those who independently assess performances had a less emotional view of things and rated Long as having a half decent game after all.

Along with @ThatSlopesATwelfthMan excellent analysis maybe we've got a good solid player after all, but I guess it's easier to just scream "he's crap and a centre back anyway!!!"
I think all chatter about our early season shape will feel academic soon. If When we manage to get in a new LB and a striker who can hold the ball up we'll soon be playing a version of 352 most weeks and reverting to the current shape and setup only for specific games. There's no way Brentford agreed to send Stevens here at this crucial stage in his development to either fester in a back four or get exposed every week.

I think all chatter about our early season shape will feel academic soon. If When we manage to get in a new LB and a striker who can hold the ball up we'll soon be playing a version of 352 most weeks and reverting to the current shape and setup only for specific games. There's no way Brentford agreed to send Stevens here at this crucial stage in his development to either fester in a back four or get exposed every week.
That probably correct and another reason why the transfer window should end before the season starts. If you are having to play a different formation than your preferred one because the squad cannot be completed, it makes a mockery of the games in August.

Good, i was hoping this thread would take a "middle aged guys bringing up music they liked in the nineties" turn.

Better late than never:

Beadle: Decent performance. Felt that people were booing the goal kick tactic itself rather than Beadle.

Long: Improved as the game progressed, several times he had two attackers to deal with. Anyone wanting him to be replaced obviously didn’t see Stevens at Bristol.

Moore: Steady.

Negru: What a find! So composed for a young player.

Brown: Good performance. He has previously taken stick for not getting forward/overlapping. He did on several occasions against Carlisle but I haven’t seen him given much credit.

Brannagan: Slightly better performance than we’ve seen of late.

McEachran: Great range of passing.

Browne: Made some great runs down the wing but didn’t help Sam enough. (A Carlisle fan was really impressed and was relieved when he was substituted.) *

Rodrigues: Quiet first half but made a good contribution in the second. *

Bodin: Steady. *

Harris: Bags of energy and a well taken goal. *

* All the forward players were guilty of excessive passing and not enough shooting!

Back
Top Bottom