Away Match Day Thread 12/03/24 - L1: Bolton Wanderers v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For all the jibber jabber about this being a poor league and that we should be up there, we're playing one of the sides I would say on paper are better than us today. I'd add Derby, Portsmouth, Barnsley and Peterborough in that mix too. What hasn't made them all miles ahead of us is that all of them have been prone to wobbles, runs of poor form and a lack of consistency. To be honest, we've suffered from those issues all season too.

I thought we played well for 60 minutes against Bolton when we played them earlier in the season in an entertaining 0-0. We prevented them from scoring which was the first time in months they had failed to and held out own. A similar level of performance with a bit more fire power to come off the bench this time and the game could be another good one.

Only an audio pass isn't it

Only an audio pass in the UK - overseas, we should get the whole game live.

In previous years, we were sometimes out of luck when Sky picked up games for broadcast......but in the blurb for this season's iFollow subscription, they did promise us all 46 league games plus the tinpot trophy. It was only the League/FA Cups where games are not shown.

(though the game is also available on ESPN+ here, so if Rosie starts to P**s me off like he did on Saturday, I can turn over and listen to some rando instead!)

There are offenders at both ends of the positive/negative spectrum and they (we) bring the worst out in each other. A lot of the posts, particularly post match, are very reactive on some things as people can often spend weeks, months or even seasons with a strong view on something and told they are ridiculous or bringing down the forum, each and every time they are proven to have had a point, it can spill over. It doesn’t stop those arguing the other side from piling in and some of the names on the list of likers you got there is hilarious quite telling as they obviously feel whiter than white and less forceful with their point of view. That grinds a few gears and fuels the back and forth.
It is actually possible to sit right in the middle - my enjoyment has diminished in recent months and I've found the football and the lack of an identifiable style really frustrating. I agree with many of the critical comments made but my point has been that on a match day at least I like to feel some positivity and hope. Otherwise, what's the point if you just keep going around in an ever increasing miserable circle telling us how right you've proven to be? COYY!

All the moaning about Sky, imagine if they didn’t pay billions for the TV rights……

No one is knocking that confidence and optimism, maybe some of us are more realistic and just need to be convinced by a performance or two. Is there anything really wrong with that ? If you're brutally honest, do you think we are playing well and that we should all be off to Bolton absolutely brimming with confidence that we are about to put them to the sword ? Really ?

We might well win, absolutely fantastic if we do and even better if we play well and then follow it up again at Port Vale on Saturday. I'm perfectly capable of changing my mind about Des Buckingham, I have no agenda whereby I want him to fail. Why would I ?
Well, Bolton have injuries to key players and are worried about their game against Derby on Saturday. They won't want anyone else getting injured tonight. If there was ever a chance of our beating them it's tonight. For God's sake, Des, get the boys coming out of the traps from the KO, high tempo press all game and let's get 3 points!

I believe Bolton always kick off at 8 in midweek games Sky or no Sky.
My Bolton supporting work colleague is far from confident lots of injuries and the scorers of 80% of their goals missing, I think he also said they had no recognisable left back available.

My Bolton supporting work colleague is far from confident lots of injuries and the scorers of 80% of their goals missing, I think he also said they had no recognisable left back available.

It was originally due to be a 7.45pm KO.

It is actually possible to sit right in the middle - my enjoyment has diminished in recent months and I've found the football and the lack of an identifiable style really frustrating. I agree with many of the critical comments made but my point has been that on a match day at least I like to feel some positivity and hope. Otherwise, what's the point if you just keep going around in an ever increasing miserable circle telling us how right you've proven to be? COYY!
I didn’t mean to imply you had to be one extreme or the other - but there was a post aimed at the extreme negatives. I’m only saying that those at the opposing end are no better at putting their point across. To my mind you can be as happy or dissatisfied as you like. Just don’t expect anyone else to be the same.

The critical posters get the bad label around here when the positive ones are just as capable of ramming their alternative stance down the necks of people who don’t agree and then cry foul when challenged… that’s what irks me most.

Last edited:
  • React
Reactions: Nox
I really do hope we can turn in a performance like we did against Portsmouth which would make for a fantastic game.

Positives; we tend to do better against sides who concede space and take risk. I think we’ll get opportunities and spells within the game. Owen Dale in current form gives you a chance in any game, I just hope Des has prepared for the inevitable attempt from Bolton to get him out of the game.

Negatives; we can’t actually beat a decent side and with one clean sheet in our last 16 league games, we know we need at least two goals to get something from the game. No goals for Harris in the last 6, I think I’d be picking this game to start Goodwin and give us some presence; bring Harris on as the game stretches. Bolton killed us with the overlap at home and comfortably one of the best footballing sides I witnessed this season so we’re going to be up against it. Their attacking options are frightening compared to what’s available of ours.

I had wondered whether this would be the 4-0 demolition we’ve been begging to receive for a number of weeks but the more I think about it the more I think they might play in to our hands with the right selection. We won’t be able to plod about with the ball tonight which should force us in to forward passes more often. Can’t see a win, but tighter than I expected. I think a 3-2 loss and a good end to end game.
We need to get on the front foot from the off. I would start with Goodwin and Harris, play Leigh at wing back and get Murphy cutting into the middle more often which is how he got his goal on Saturday. Throw caution to the wind and go s**t or bust.

We need to get on the front foot from the off. I would start with Goodwin and Harris, play Leigh at wing back and get Murphy cutting into the middle more often which is how he got his goal on Saturday. Throw caution to the wind and go s**t or bust.
The trouble with 2 up top is you have to ask how much we’ll get the ball to them with what we have in midfield. Brannagan is a long ball merchant and McGuane tends to play it safe. So the strikers will get next to nothing in to feet. That’s what make Rodrigues virtually undroppable for me if we’re intent on winning a game. We could of course try and keep it level for an hour and introduce him later to make a difference but that’s expecting a lot of a defence that can’t keep the ball out of the net. So like you, I’d lean towards going for it at the start and try and go in front.

Think I'll watch this one on the radio through my fingers! 🫣

Not sure I could stomach the sky sports commentators cringe fest. w*****g over Bolton having been in the prem with players like djorkaeff, okocha n anelka. 🤮

They'll say we play in a 3 sided stadium and might mention Ron Atkinson. That's about it 🙄

BWFC 3 OUFC 4!

I presume that the Sky coverage will have much better camera angles and replays than iFollow, but I'd miss the Radox commentary, so I'm not sure which one to go for. Sky pictures with Radox commentary would be ideal but getting them synchronised would really test my technical skills.

The trouble with 2 up top is you have to ask how much we’ll get the ball to them with what we have in midfield. Brannagan is a long ball merchant and McGuane tends to play it safe. So the strikers will get next to nothing in to feet. That’s what make Rodrigues virtually undroppable for me if we’re intent on winning a game. We could of course try and keep it level for an hour and introduce him later to make a difference but that’s expecting a lot of a defence that can’t keep the ball out of the net. So like you, I’d lean towards going for it at the start and try and go in front.
I would be happy in that formation to have McGuigan sitting in front of a back 3 in a CDM role, Branagan and Rodrigues in front of him with Murphy and Leigh on the wings. We have to try something to get some forward impetus in to our play and if it's pissing down with rain so much the better as that would be a leveller. We may not win, but we need a performance if only for the fans whom I have the utmost admiration for travelling to Bolton in weather like we have at the moment. If we play like we did for 80 minutes against Cheltenham we will lose. I want to see us play like we did against Cheltenham in the last 10 minutes from start to finish.

Aaron Collins is fit, who always scores against us. 🤣

I would be happy in that formation to have McGuigan sitting in front of a back 3 in a CDM role, Branagan and Rodrigues in front of him with Murphy and Leigh on the wings. We have to try something to get some forward impetus in to our play and if it's pissing down with rain so much the better as that would be a leveller. We may not win, but we need a performance if only for the fans whom I have the utmost admiration for travelling to Bolton in weather like we have at the moment. If we play like we did for 80 minutes against Cheltenham we will lose. I want to see us play like we did against Cheltenham in the last 10 minutes from start to finish.
McGuigan? Least we would have a bit of knockout power in the midfield I suppose 🤣

Back
Top Bottom