Away Match Build Up 10/09/2022: L1 - Shrewsbury Town v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go to work as a normal working class citizen but give up your spare time of leisure & entertainment to mourn even though not everyone feels the same way for the monarchy.

So footballers shouldn’t be expected to work but everyone else should. Not very consistent views there.
Anyway, I don't think it's about days off or having to work - more about marking the gravity of the occasion in public, by not having some of the big events we usually have. Basically someone has to make the decision pretty quickly and people will argue whatever is decided.

I'll be there, even though I predict a bore draw. They are always hard to break down at home, we're not creating much but we're not giving away high quality chances either.

Despite the sniping, their manager is really good. To keep Shrewsbury at this level on their budget, a lot of it from a hospital bed, is remarkable. They could do a lot worse!

I think this is my fifth trip to Shrews! More than any other away ground.
I’m not sure where you’ve got the budget thing from. We’ve got a healthy budget our chairman is just very tight. Also “ keep us at this level “ think you’re getting us mixed up with Accrington or burton we’ve spent 8+years in this division consecutively and have overall spent more time in the third tier than at any other level. Do some research next time before you patronise us 😂

Anyway, I don't think it's about days off or having to work - more about marking the gravity of the occasion in public, by not having some of the big events we usually have. Basically someone has to make the decision pretty quickly and people will argue whatever is decided.
I was responding to a post specifically about time off, I didn’t bring it up. Not having ‘some’ of the big events we usually have doesn’t make sense, they’re all sporting events, so if being off is clearly the right decision then they should all be off. People will argue about every decision in the world, no matter what, that doesn’t mean that we can’t give our opinions on them.

Just sums up the pathetic English lower class loyalty to
servitude to the upper classes.

I keep seeing this phrase being bandied about, but what precisely is it about cancelling football that is a 'show of respect'? What is disrespectful about a football match?

For me, the issue here is not so much about missing a game of football, it's more that I resent my exact response to yesterday's events being dictated by the powers that be. There's a sort of intimation that if one were to attend a football match, one would not be doing a sufficient amount of mourning. 'The Queen is dead - you MUST MOURN for a few days!' I find it all deeply patronising and more than a little performative.

Crap decision. A perfect opportunity for football to show it's respects gone.

Rugby is going ahead as normal, by the way.

Football will still show its respect as a minutes silence etc will happen at every game.

That is until three of our squad injure themselves on Saturday afternoon doing DIY round the house.

giphy.gif

‘… Oxford have been struck by further bad news as a freak neck injury to Sam Long whilst bowing his head during a minute’s silence has meant manager Karl Robinson is on the look out for a right back …’

All of you entitled people..its not just about you or what you want.
It's a national decision taken as our head of state has died after 70 years .
Football is every week , for one week I'm sure we will all cope and hopefully reflect upon our own immortality and what is important in our lives and that what joins us all in creating a United Kingdom.

We thinking next week off for the funeral too?

Who do we expect to be back in contention from the injured in 3 weeks?

We thinking next week off for the funeral too?

Who do we expect to be back in contention from the injured in 3 weeks?

Funeral will be a week Monday. Don't see why our game on Saturday would be an issue.

So it can’t be due to worries that Liverpool fans etc would disrupt it as some have suggested - as they still could?

If Liverpool and one would assume, Celtic fans want to be total wankers, then let them do so. That shouldn't be to the detriment of the 98% of decent respectful people in this country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom