Away Match Day Thread +++ 04/05/2019 Luton Town v OUFC Match Day Thread +++

Thought we had them rattled after Garbutt's goal. Shame we had to gift them the third. It could have been a very interesting last twenty minutes. Luton did look strong and attacked us with pace, but they were given extra help from the ref, especially in the first half.

No - your ears did not deceive you. The guy who calls Rad Ox only when we lose (Paul) had a go at Jones who did pretty well
I thought for a kid of 17 against a top L1 team. At least we have not had to suffer Paul having a pop at Robinson for a few months.

He was last was put on air after we lost at Gillingham on March 9th.
Someone has been using their selective hearing. He pointed out how if we are going to push for promotion Nico isn't ready for the first team or to be used as cover YET, he said himself he could be a good player in a few years. I also didn't think he had a brilliant game, a few missed headers and misplaced passes, but put into the context of a 17 year old on one of his first starts you expect mistakes and didn't do half badly, he made less than some of the pros who have been playing for years.

You say he only calls when we lose, he doesn't, he has called multiple times after good performances, one that springs to memory is Sunderland away, where he urged people listening to come and watch OUFC.

Paul was one of the people who criticised KR earlier this season for some of the poor decision making he made, he hasn't had a pop as KR has turned things around recently (and long may it continue) and has learnt from his mistakes and hasn't made any poor decisions recently (that I can think of) . Can you really say you never questioned some of his decisions this season yourself?

Paul is a good caller on RadOx for the following reasons:

- he rings in after actually attending the match (which he appears to do almost every week, home and away)

- he’s articulate and sensible

- has a point of view. Just because we may not agree with it doesn’t mean he’s a poor caller.

Good on you, Paul. Keep travelling to the games, keep ringing in and keep having an opinion.

The guy scored 2 of their goals was an ex scummer, John Moncur son.. probably why he celebrated in front of us.
Does anyone remember being top of the table circa 1996. We travelled up to stockport and lost 4-2 at Edgley Park in what I think was our promotion season. Moncur bagged a brace and celebrated both in front of us with clear intent to provoke.

Paul is a good caller on RadOx for the following reasons:

- he rings in after actually attending the match (which he appears to do almost every week, home and away)

- he’s articulate and sensible

- has a point of view. Just because we may not agree with it doesn’t mean he’s a poor caller.

Good on you, Paul. Keep travelling to the games, keep ringing in and keep having an opinion.

Look I am all for people having a view. I get that.

He does NOT call in almost every week. He hasn’t phoned in to have a whine and a bitch since we went
on the unbeaten run after Gillingham away ( when we last lost). why is that?

No calls after Bradford , Cov, Wycombe, Walsall, Charlton, Shrewsbury, Donny - only after a defeat!

Yes he’s articulate but last night he kind of damned Nico Jones which was unnecessary.
He said : “ My only worry today was Nico Jones. “ He was naive to give the free kick away for the first goal “
“ And his passes were not great (or words to that effect) ”.

I thought he threw the lad under the bus. No one else was nailed , just Jones.

Previously when he’s phoned in, Robinson has been nailed each time and he absolutely loathes Faz.

A bit more balance with a dose of reality is needed if you call in on the final whistle.

Does anyone remember being top of the table circa 1996. We travelled up to stockport and lost 4-2 at Edgley Park in what I think was our promotion season. Moncur bagged a brace and celebrated both in front of us with clear intent to provoke.
You’re getting confused - it was Andy Mutch not John Moncur !

I think we've already seen how ridiculous your views are on players ability. In fact, I go as far as to say that we should double the wages of everyone you want shot of. You get things wrong so often then it'll prove to be a real investment opportunity!!

So you reckon Garbutt is better than Graham as a winger?

You reckon that Long is good enough as a first choice right back?

You reckon that Henry is the best option in the no.10 role?

I can tell you now, if we go into next season with these players in those positions we will struggle like we have this one. Add to that, the loss of Nelson and it could be even worse.

Didnt think we looked that bad, Ref was ridiculous in the first half. Honestly never felt the urge to shout the C word so much in 45 mins (I dont mean 'cheat' either). Henry looked off his game, Whyte should have started, didnt think Mackie was having much joy. Wouldn't say Long had his best game but fatigue and playing against two of the best left sided players in the Div it was always going to be a tough ask.

Dont feel the need to say much more, we are staying up, Luton will come straight back down, Swindon can look forward to another season minding that gap.

Awful town.
Awful fans.
Pretty good day out.

Agree with everything you’ve said, but just out of interest who would you have dropped for Whyte?

And funny you should mention Long & Henry, just be careful Scotchegg doesn’t read that.

That side step from nelson was class. Would have been a red if he connected

Disgrace. How the ref didnt book there player for pulling back sinclair. The same player was booked 5 minutes later so should have had a red.

I thoughy browne was our best player. Was everywhere trying to make things happen

Jones didnt look out of place and at only 17 looks a fantastic prospect. He will only get stronger and better.

I can tell you now, if we go into next season with these players in those positions we will struggle like we have this one. Add to that, the loss of Nelson and it could be even worse.

Yes.

Yes.

No, but a very good player who has struggled for form since his child became ill. His goals at the end of last season and the begin of this have probably saved both seasons.

You can tell me what you like, but it's rubbish! We went into the last 3 months with these players and were the form team in the league.

Nelson is a separate matter and one in which the club have done everything they can to keep him. If he goes, then good luck to him. But he is replaceable and life goes on!

That's unfair, Long has done very well at right back and as for Garbutt if this was the beginning of the season I could understand your comments but I for one and one of many would welcome him back in a heartbeat, as for Graham I to would welcome him back in a heartbeat. Graham has been criticised because of lack of interest but consider he had hardly played before he came back due to inhmjurt and Paul Lambert not playing him when fit, I would give him the benefit of doubt because we know how good a player he is and maybe with Karl at the helm he could develop and go on to be the good player we know he can be.

That's unfair, Long has done very well at right back and as for Garbutt if this was the beginning of the season I could understand your comments but I for one and one of many would welcome him back in a heartbeat, as for Graham I to would welcome him back in a heartbeat. Graham has been criticised because of lack of interest but consider he had hardly played before he came back due to inhmjurt and Paul Lambert not playing him when fit, I would give him the benefit of doubt because we know how good a player he is and maybe with Karl at the helm he could develop and go on to be the good player we know he can be.

I’d be very surprised that we’ll see Graham back here. And I don’t think Karl would be best place to develop him, I mean, he’s played a player (Garbutt) who he brought here as a left back in front of a player who’s played at Premiership level as a left winger!

Will be interesting to see what league either player is in next season!

With regard to Long, since he came in I think that we have taken 27 points from 13 games conceding 11 (including yesterday). So to suggest that he is not good enough seems a little odd.
Garbutt has scored 4 and made goals during that time. Garbutt is a totally different player to Graham who has been struggling. KR became more pragmatic and when he brought in Garbutt on the left, we clearly tightened up and started winning games.
Regardless of other players, Nelson of course will be a huge miss and I doubt if anybody would disagree with that.

I’d be very surprised that we’ll see Graham back here. And I don’t think Karl would be best place to develop him, I mean, he’s played a player (Garbutt) who he brought here as a left back in front of a player who’s played at Premiership level as a left winger!

Reference Garbutt he isn't a LB buck since KR moved him you could see the quality he has and 3 goals in the last 6 games is a good return so yes bring back Garbutt and still bring in Graham as he did show glimpses of what he could do and maybe in the process sort his head out as he is a good olayer

Mmm. Just a little surprised on the inference there based on the tremendous form at the end of the season.
I'm not sure how relevant where playing a small number of games before has? Goodness Obika had a few years at Spurs as a youngster.
Surely form and team shape and winning are more impirtant?
I like Jordan Graham who clearly has talent. He hasn't been the same player in my view in this loan spell. I would not be surprised if a Championship club took a punt on Graham (and Garbutt). I really hope that he does well but he still has a lot to prove after his injuries

Mmm. Just a little surprised on the inference there based on the tremendous form at the end of the season.
I'm not sure how relevant where playing a small number of games before has? Goodness Obika had a few years at Spurs as a youngster.
Surely form and team shape and winning are more impirtant?
I like Jordan Graham who clearly has talent. He hasn't been the same player in my view in this loan spell. I would not be surprised if a Championship club took a punt on Graham (and Garbutt). I really hope that he does well but he still has a lot to prove after his injuries

I agree with you about Graham in terms of him not being the same player, but as a winger he showed more glimpses of what you expect from a winger than Garbutt did. He just seemed to lose his way a bit which may have been brought about with Karl’s lack of belief in him towards the end of the season for whatever reason. Maybe Karl thought there’s more chance of retaining Garbutt than Graham next season or that he feels Garbutt is s better player which I obviously disagree with, but whatever it was Graham’s form dipped from when he first rejoined us, so possible poor man management!

If it were me, I’d prefer Graham over Garbutt any day of the week.

One thing I will add to thie Garbutt/Graham discussion is I think Graham ultimately was
left out of the team as his confidence was low.
When Garbutt came in at left midfield/ wing call it what you wish his confidence improved and the team became far more difficult to beat. This is also around the time Long came in , coincidence I don’t know but we conceded a lot less goals and started scoring more. Garbutt has added 4-5 goals and quite a few assists so my conclusion is whoever may be the best left midfielder/ winger Garbutt was definitely the best one for the team at that point.
I also wonder whether in time Sykes will play a number 10 role as he has a lot of ability.

Back
Top Bottom