Home Match Day Thread 03/02/2024 L1: OUFC v Reading

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
One thing that really winds me up is literally half the attendance leaving 5 minutes from the end of the 90 game after game. Whatever has happened in a game, stay till the end and show your appreciation for the performance, leaving to get back to your car early literally destroys an already poor atmosphere at times. Must look s**t to the players too having all those empty seats 5 minutes from the end. Get what you deserve if you miss anything imo. We have to be better and do better, otherwise we deserve to be ridiculed.

A few hundred leave early, not a few thousand.

A few hundred leave early, not a few thousand.
I donโ€™t know scotch. All stands looked pretty empty 5 minutes from the end yesterday. A few hundred is a few hundred too many, itโ€™s basically the equivalent of the players giving up and not bothering 5 minutes from time. Would that be acceptable? Just very poor imo.

I donโ€™t know scotch. All stands looked pretty empty 5 minutes from the end yesterday. A few hundred is a few hundred too many, itโ€™s basically the equivalent of the players giving up and not bothering 5 minutes from time. Would that be acceptable? Just very poor imo.

People have lives away from football, some will go a few minutes early so that they beat the crowds getting away. It's not something I do, but I wouldn't criticise anyone without knowing their circumstances.

However, your statement was "literally half the attendance leaving 5 minutes before the end of the 90" when in reality its only really a handful. The atmosphere has been poor for a long time and is just the same for the first 85 mins as it is at the death.

People have lives away from football, some will go a few minutes early so that they beat the crowds getting away. It's not something I do, but I wouldn't criticise anyone without knowing their circumstances.

However, your statement was "literally half the attendance leaving 5 minutes before the end of the 90" when in reality its only really a handful. The atmosphere has been poor for a long time and is just the same for the first 85 mins as it is at the death.
Have to disagree scotch. I go to every home game as a season ticket holder. Never left a game early. Seeing a half empty east stand as a player would P**s me off at the end of a game because they canโ€™t be bothered to clap and wait in a queue to get out.

Have to disagree scotch. I go to every home game as a season ticket holder. Never left a game early. Seeing a half empty east stand as a player would P**s me off at the end of a game because they canโ€™t be bothered to clap and wait in a queue to get out.
Being paid ยฃ6k a week will sure ease the pain though :cool:

Are the rest of you getting paid ยฃ250k a year to attend like our players, or is it actually not at all the same?

Edit - Iโ€™ve undercut @Carpy there, hope Ed is reading.

Being paid ยฃ6k a week will sure ease the pain though :cool:
Think we go on about atmosphere etc. if you canโ€™t even be bothered to stay and clap at the end. Thatโ€™s pretty poor imo. Of course itโ€™s only my opinion but there you go. Each to their own ๐Ÿ˜

Think we go on about atmosphere etc. if you canโ€™t even be bothered to stay and clap at the end. Thatโ€™s pretty poor imo. Of course itโ€™s only my opinion but there you go. Each to their own ๐Ÿ˜
How do you travel to and from the match? And where do you live?

Night games I get people might leave as they have to be up early, 3pms maybe they have something on that night, but I did find it strange for such an early kick off that people still left around the 80th minute when itโ€™s 1 all.

But some of our fans do make me chuckle, you get ones who turn up every week, never sing, shout, stand up or show much emotion at all then leave on the 80th minute of every match without fail. Canโ€™t question the loyalty of some of these people as they have turned up every home game for donkeys years through the thin and even thinner, how you support the club is obviously your choice but I sometimes wonder if they take any enjoyment from it or itโ€™s just become something they do?

How do you travel to and from the match? And where do you live?

The game was over by 2.30pm, unless you live in the Orkneys I reckon you got home at a fairly decent time. I live 50 miles from the ground and was back by 3.50pm.

One thing that really winds me up is literally half the attendance leaving 5 minutes from the end of the 90 game after game. Whatever has happened in a game, stay till the end and show your appreciation for the performance, leaving to get back to your car early literally destroys an already poor atmosphere at times. Must look s**t to the players too having all those empty seats 5 minutes from the end. Get what you deserve if you miss anything imo. We have to be better and do better, otherwise we deserve to be ridiculed.
Iโ€™m not saying itโ€™s right, to me itโ€™s really not, but it happens at international games, Premier League games and across the pyramid. Iโ€™ve never left a game early, I pay for 90+ minutes so Iโ€™ll stay and fight my way out of the car park after if I have to, itโ€™s part of the day. I understand some will have to leave early to go out etc but I donโ€™t get those who leave early, every game.

North stand takes about 20 minutes to empty so we're not guilty.

• React
Reactions: m
Complete opposite end of the spectrum of this argument:

I sit with a group of mates, two are regularly late for games. One arrived at 12:47 y'day and the other at halftime! ๐Ÿคฏ๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜†

I do reckon that even if we had gone months without a goal, it was 0-0 in an end of season relegation battle, one of our players was racing through on goal in the 80th minute some of the early leavers would still not only carry on walking out but they wouldnโ€™t even look back to see if we scored, so ingrained has racing to the car park to get out early become.

. The fact that he skipped off immediately suggests that a) he's chasing the money and b) he didn't think he could get us promoted.
c) he recognised the calamities at board level beginning to set in and jumped for the lifeboat. Even if it did have a small hole in it, it was better than the unpredictability of the yellow circus.

I donโ€™t know Manning in the slightest but feel i saw enough of him to think your two reasons alone would not have been all he thought about.

Money wouldโ€™ve been an immense factor - what kind of man would he be if he didnโ€™t put his familyโ€™s future first? But he was a lateral thinker and confident in himself. He will know he has every chance to go to the top and doesnโ€™t need to snatch at offers but having seen whatโ€™s unfolded since then, this was not a difficult decision for him and he made the right one.

• React
Reactions: Nox
Night games I get people might leave as they have to be up early, 3pms maybe they have something on that night, but I did find it strange for such an early kick off that people still left around the 80th minute when itโ€™s 1 all.

But some of our fans do make me chuckle, you get ones who turn up every week, never sing, shout, stand up or show much emotion at all then leave on the 80th minute of every match without fail. Canโ€™t question the loyalty of some of these people as they have turned up every home game for donkeys years through the thin and even thinner, how you support the club is obviously your choice but I sometimes wonder if they take any enjoyment from it or itโ€™s just become something they do?

The ones leaving early have got to be the ones parked in the overflow car park trying to get a head start before the rest come out. There is no other reason why you would leave early, busses don't leave until a good 10 minutes after the game, anyone walking or cycling don't get hold up anymore by waiting until the final whistle. Even exiting the ground isn't that bad. It takes about 5 minutes from my seat at the top of the east stand to get out the ground.

Maybe it will be different at the new ground but I find it quite embarrassing so many decide to leave early, alot got caught out and missed the equaliser on Tuesday night.

The ones leaving early have got to be the ones parked in the overflow car park trying to get a head start before the rest come out. There is no other reason why you would leave early, busses don't leave until a good 10 minutes after the game, anyone walking or cycling don't get hold up anymore by waiting until the final whistle. Even exiting the ground isn't that bad. It takes about 5 minutes from my seat at the top of the east stand to get out the ground.

Maybe it will be different at the new ground but I find it quite embarrassing so many decide to leave early, alot got caught out and missed the equaliser on Tuesday night.
A lot missed Henry's goal last Tuesday

He can do what he likes obviously. But my point was/is that if he'd got us in the Playoffs or promoted, he'd have been on the radar of much bigger clubs than Bristol City. The fact that he skipped off immediately suggests that a) he's chasing the money and b) he didn't think he could get us promoted. Look at the current PL managers. I reckon at least 15 of them proved their creds by getting promotion at smaller clubs. By the way, chasing the money is fine, but I think what annoyed so many people is that it expo

"Get out, Brown!" For anyone under the age of 50, this is what an old bloke (in the 1970's) on the Beech Road used to shout every game, normally after about ten minutes. He'd keep up a stream of abuse for the full 90 minutes. He showed impressive stamina.
Heโ€™s no different to a player, thinks he good enough for the step up.
Moneys also a incentive, so canโ€™t blame him for that.
Has a 3 year championship contract, to prove if heโ€™s right or wrong.
Good coach, has struggled so far in the league.
The cups a different matter.
With tv coverage and players being in the spotlight, a different team.
As Tuesday with Mous there did one or two have that bit of extra incentive.

A man of my stature, who if youโ€™re not aware has been involved with Man Utd and Inter Milan, would not stoop to this level and engage with the peasants.
I read that last word as peanuts, and kept reading the sentence back, thinking "what the hell is he on about?"

I now realise you meant pheasants, and I feel rather silly

Back
Top Bottom