EFL Winding Up Petitions List

Petitions to Wind Up (Companies)
In the High Court of Justice
No. 2744 of 2022
In the matter of STAINES TOWN FOOTBALL CLUB LTD
Trading As: Staines Town Football Club Ltd,
---
Following the bizarre stadium dispute with the owners which involved allegations of breaches of the modern slavery act, and that one end of the the pitch had been built on land that didn't belong to the owners of the ground.

Shame to see any local team to me face winding up. I’m sure there are plenty of others facing a similar fate

Petitions to Wind Up (Companies)
In the High Court of Justice (Chancery Division)
Companies Court No 3240 of 2022
In the Matter of SOUTHEND UNITED FOOTBALL CLUB LIMITED(THE)
(Company Number 00089767)
and in the Matter of the Insolvency Act 1986
22 Sep 2022

Usually I have sympathy for the players and fans in these situations but on this occasion I really don’t. Everyone was raising their eyebrows when they splashed the cash to get out of league 1 and asking questions about how they could afford to do it. Turns out they can’t!
I’m sure the players weren’t questioning if a club that had just come out of admin could actually afford their 10k+ a week wage that they agreed.

Given our reputed budget this year there's a proverb about glass houses which should apply to those casting judgement.

Or something.

Given our reputed budget this year there's a proverb about glass houses which should apply to those casting judgement.

Or something.
I think that if correct Wigan are in a different league.
Into administration, spend a load to get out of L1 then in trouble again?

I think that if correct Wigan are in a different league.
Into administration, spend a load to get out of L1 then in trouble again?

(If correct - as you say)

A more extreme case with Wigan for sure, but it's all overspending in the pursuit of success.

I'm not making judgements on the wisdom or morailty of it, just pointing out that we probably shouldn't be getting on our high horses here.

(If correct - as you say)

A more extreme case with Wigan for sure, but it's all overspending in the pursuit of success.

I'm not making judgements on the wisdom or morailty of it, just pointing out that we probably shouldn't be getting on our high horses here.
Really?

Remind me of when we have been in administration and then the very next season blown everyone out of the water to "buy" promotion?

Wigan had a wage bill of £11.7m in 2018 (double ours from last season), when they won League One on gates of about 500 more than ours from last season. The following year they had a wage bill of £19.4m. There are no more accounts available to view since then, but I'd bet money that in 2021, the year of their administration, their wage bill was far higher than that, and last season they were only behind Wednesday, Ipswich and Sunderland for player wages (with attendances about a third of those clubs), straight after being in administration.

There is NO comparison with us.

Really?

Remind me of when we have been in administration and then the very next season blown everyone out of the water to "buy" promotion?

Wigan had a wage bill of £11.7m in 2018 (double ours from last season), when they won League One on gates of about 500 more than ours from last season. The following year they had a wage bill of £19.4m. There are no more accounts available to view since then, but I'd bet money that in 2021, the year of their administration, their wage bill was far higher than that, and last season they were only behind Wednesday, Ipswich and Sunderland for player wages (with attendances about a third of those clubs), straight after being in administration.

There is NO comparison with us.

Isn't it a question of scale?

I don't think we're the same as Wigan if a poor choice of words implied that. Wigan took the P**s in every sense.

We are spending beyond our means at present though and have been for some time. I understand the causes behind, and reasons for doing this.

If for some unforseen reason the owners stopped covering the losses (and I must emphatically stress that I have no reason to believe or fear they will!) and we were suddenly finding ourselves facing a hard 7-figure debt, why would the likes of Exeter have any sympathy for us? (Exeter chosen as I believe they are fan-owned and debt-free)

Isn't it a question of scale?

I don't think we're the same as Wigan if a poor choice of words implied that. Wigan took the P**s in every sense.

We are spending beyond our means at present though and have been for some time. I understand the causes behind, and reasons for doing this.

If for some unforseen reason the owners stopped covering the losses (and I must emphatically stress that I have no reason to believe or fear they will!) and we were suddenly finding ourselves facing a hard 7-figure debt, why would the likes of Exeter have any sympathy for us? (Exeter chosen as I believe they are fan-owned and debt-free)
I think it's more a question of morality actually mate.

Exeter, as per your example, have had their financial problems in the past and ended up going down the fan owned route, and live within their means. Wigan overspent for some time before their (admittedly odd) administration, but as soon as they were out of it went down the exact same overspending route, leading to their current plight. I believe that's why they deserve no sympathy.

Anyway, I think we're broadly in agreement, so I'll leave it there.

Back
Top Bottom