Fixture List - Why?

I don't belong to that category but, I do wonder at the disparity in release dates. No conspiracy theory just puzzles me why the Premiership, which kicks off after the EFL, can manage to get their dates out sooner.
Cannot see any administrative necessity, perhaps it is to allow for the frenzied activity of the media, following the release, to subside enough to then get another story out for the EFL?

I don't mind the Premiership, watch a lot of games on Sky, still find attending an OUFC game more exciting. Do get annoyed sometimes at the patronising attitude of the commentators whenever a non Premiership side is featured and was very annoyed at the constant remarks about certain clubs being far too big to be playing in the lower leagues, particularly during the play offs.

on the rare occasions when I watch a bit of non oufc football (on tv) - usually FA or league cup games those patronising commentators comments tend to really p me off too @Manorlounger

re the oft- uttered 'too big to be in lower leagues' really grates, as if they were actually big enough they wouldnt be plying their trade in the lower leagues. Ive a theory there is a handbook of handy things to say for
lazy commentators, aka the book of cliched 'observations' ... entry number 39 for play off games ' XXXX is too big to be playing in the lower leagues' ... basically meaning they, the 'expert' pundit cant be bothered to do any proper research..... sadly imo

Ahh! SKY are giving Norwich a proper welcome to the Premier League - First game on TV, Friday night away to Liverpool.
So any Norwich fan living near Norwich will have to take a full day off work and endure the Friday traffic up M6 or along M62 and whatever the motorways are in the Northwest.

Simple answer, they are better at football than we are => they attract more viewers => sky makes more money from them => they get priority => they make more money from sky => they play better football => they attract more viewers... and it goes on and on.

Always the way.
Just like when the first division fixtures are emboldened or enlarged.
Also like five line reports for L1 teams for a 5-3 win and a full page for Manure against Arsenal in a 0-0
Reporting on Sky continually goes to a boring game with Manure where the post is missed forgetting several goals lower down the leagues

This has only happened in the last 3/4 seasons both Premiership & EFL use to come out on the same date but I imagine Sky & TV money has changed that

Could be worse the conference has to wait till beginning of July for them to hand written up (or has things changed since Brian Lee f-<ked off out of it )

• React
Reactions: PQ
It really shouldn't be difficult to announce PL fixtures on a Thursday and the rest of EFL on the following Friday. That way the PL get the prestige and media attention and everyone else gets the same info within 24hrs.

Having said that, it makes very little difference to me. I look out for our fixtures and honestly couldn't tell you any of the PL fixtures. I'm not oblivious to other football and will watch some of the bigger games when about, but genuinely had to Google the final table to be sure Cardiff went down!!

Back
Top Bottom