General What is your Why?

Matt W

I think this might've been done before, but its always worth having a thread going on what got us interested in supporting Oxford Utd for just the reason used by the club to market season tickets.

For me growing up close to Kidlington in a very small village, I was from a very non sporting family but became aware of Oxford United in about 1984 when I was 8 after seeing OUFC sprayed on a bus stop and asking mum what it meant. Then I saw the milk cup final on TV and began delivering the Oxford Mail in the evenings after school and reading the back page on it for news from Jon Murray etc became a big part of my day.

First game wasn't until around 1991 when my brothers primary school got free tickets and my first game was home to Swindon in that little stand on Osler Road down next to the the away fans. We lost 2-4 and Martin Foyle got his leg broken (I think) I was hooked.

Then became very much a left sider in London Road and used to weirldly enjoy the odd reserve game at the Manor too (£5 to get in Beech Road only)

Went to the odd game as a boy in the early 90s (a 0-0 with Leicester and a 0-2 against Bolton) when my football team received free tickets.

Really enjoyed it but it was when my Grandad started taking me in October 1995 that I was hooked. I went to every home game for the rest of that season and as you’d imagine, it was a pretty good year to start supporting the club!!

Got a season ticket for the 96/97 season and the went up every home game (and lots of away games) until 2002 when I went away to University.

Had a break then until I moved back to Oxfordshire for the 2009/10 season and started going with my old man as my Grandad has passed away in the intervening years. So another good season to start watching us again!

Have had a season ticket again ever since then and can’t ever imagine not getting one now unless either the club or I don’t exist anymore!!

I now take my two young girls on an occasional basis (and will take them every week, as they want to, in a few years if we’re in our new stadium and once their attention spans can stretch to 90 minutes!)

So it’s in the family and I occasionally go with mates who support other teams but like to go and see a club local to where they now live.

A brilliant, brilliant community club which bring so much joy to so many.

I lived near enough to hear the cheers when we scored growing up, before I had been to a game went to an open day at the Manor with my mum and grandad and was the kid chosen by Steve Hardwick to pick up while I held the 3rd division trophy we had recently won, still have the photo.

First game was a little one at Wembley in 86, went on a coach from outside the Slade fire station with my dad and it will stay with me till the day I die, Wembley seemed enormous and at 8 it was a pretty incredible experience.

First home game was a couple of years later, late 89 I think, we drew 1-1 with Blackburn and Dave Penny got a late equaliser, me and a mate were given a few quid to go up on our own and we stood on the London Road, was hooked and have been going ever since, was speaking with the mate I went up with all those years ago this week about the fixtures and transfers, you make mates for life through going to football, I moved out of Oxfordshire 5 years ago but come back for home games, when it’s in your blood it’s in your blood.

Last edited:
Now, this is a story all about how
My life got flipped-turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute
Just sit tight bud
I'll tell you how I became a fan of the team called Oxford.

In South Oxfordshire born and raised
At the recreation ground was where I spent most of my days
Kiss chase, 40-40, tag (not very cool)
And playing some football outside of school
When a couple of guys, who were from the club
Started giving tickets in my neighbourhood
I went to one little match and my mum said "great"
She said, "now f**k off every other Saturday from 10 until 8".

I begged and pleaded with her day after day
Let me go to more games mum, I want to do 'aways'
She gave a lift to the station, lent me money for my ticket
I bought a bag of cans and said, "off to Bristol we go, yo, f**k it"

Cattle class, yo whats up
Drinking VK Blue out of a First Great Western branded cup
Is this what football lads be living like?
Hmm, this might be alright
But wait, I hear they're violent, obtuse, all that
Is this the type of place for me and my mate Matt?

Well, the train arrived at Temple Meads on time, all in order,
There was a dude who looked like a cop (PC Phillips) standing there with a camcorder?
We ain't trying to get arrested yet, we just got here
We sprang with the quickness like lightning, disappeared

Went straight to a pub, and when it came near
The name said, "Royal Oak" - but no Aunt Sally in the rear?
If anything I could say that this pub was sh*te
Matt said "fancy Shrewsbury next week?"
I said "Yeah I might".

We, got, home to the Ox about seven or eight
And I yelled to the conductor "Yo, Kev, smell ya later"
Up George Street we go,
I could finally see
I was f**king hooked, O.U.F.C.

*mic drop*

My parents had no interest in sport, I first started 'following ' Oxford when Gerry Summers paid a visit to our school about 1971, a year later a Sunday school leader took me to my first game, v Millwall, Hugh Curran debut, and I was hooked, I went to as many games as he would take me to then started getting the bus from Bicester at about 14.
Years later my old man said a work colleague had offered to take me to the Man United league Cup game a couple of weeks before the Millwall one, but he said I wouldn't be interested, I was livid when I heard that.

51 years later I still love watching my team, although last season was tough to watch.

But as I say, you can change your car - done that
You can change your wife - done that too
But you can't change your team - not done that 🤣🤣

Wasn’t too fussed by club football as a teen, but vaguely remember oufc winning the league cup when I was 15 (lived in Bicester). Then when I headed off to Uni and shared a flat with a few football fans I decided it was much more interesting to support (ie ceefax) the yellows than Liverpool, arsenal etc. it stuck. I’ve never lived in Oxfordshire since then (Dundee is the “closest”), but follow the Us very closely and watch them live on the rare chances I get. All going well that’s going to involve 3 games in October.

I was first introduction to Oxford United when my dad took me to watch Plymouth Argyle at the Manor in the early 90s. I was about 8 years old and had just got into playing football at school.

My dad thought it would be something I would be interested in, (and probably wanted to steer me away from the clutches of Liverpool, Man U and Arsenal).

After a couple of games, I was hooked!

Growing up, my hero was Joey Beauchamp. I would try and emulate his runs down the wing on the school playground and in the local park with my mates, to varying degrees of success.
We would often stand in the Osler road to get a better view of him tearing down the touch line, terrifying right backs from clubs all over the country.

Once I got into my teenage years I was able to attend many more games. I remember Oxford beating Sheffield United 4-1, I think Martin Aldridge scored a hat trick that day. At this point I was living and breathing Oxford United. Getting on the bus and attending every game I could.

Around the time we left the manor, I had started playing Men’s football on a Saturday, so for about 10 years I was only able to attend the odd Tuesday night game.

When I stopped playing in ‘09 I needed a Saturday to fill again, This time it was me who took dad. “I thought it might be something he would be interested in” (and I wouldn’t want him to be drawn into the clutches of Liverpool, City or United at such an impressionable age, haha)

Dad was a big OUFC fan, followed them all over the country, got into loads of scrapes doing so. A few on here might know him, Neil, he had the nickname 'Fergie' for reasons I never got to the bottom of.

He started taking me and my brother to the occasional game around 1980, leaving his space on the LRT to stand us on the Beech Road shelf. By 1983 we were regulars, seeing every home game, although by then we stood in the Osler while dad had returned to his mates in the LRT. First away game I remember going to was away to Millwall at the old Den... what an experience for a first away day. Oxford lost 2-1 despite Biggins (I think) giving us the lead inside 5mins. I can still remember the really intimidating home crowd from that day.

It all grew from there, by the time I was hitting my 20s I was following the club all over the country.

It goes back quite a long way for me- my Dad, who was from a family of 'City supporters ( they lived on Folly Bridge, very close to the Whitehouse Ground), was the middle child of 3. From the age of 11 he started to rebel against the rest of his family and go to watch the boys from up the hill on a regular basis. Which he continued to do for 77 years.

I believe he took me to HUFC then OUFC matches from an early age, the first game I can actually remember going to was a home game v Bath City, on an Easter Monday in 1962. It was our last season before being elected to the football league, and the first season as Oxford United. We lost that one, albeit played 3 games over the easter bank holiday weekend, including beating Bath City at their place on the easter Friday.. I would've been 5 years old at that Easter Monday game. Memories of my first few seasons going to watch Oxford United include walking to and from the Manor with my Dad ( from very close to Green rd roundabout where we lived at the time). My Dad used to keep a roll of fruit pastels in his pocket, which when Oxford scored, both he and I would have a sweet. Beating Barrow 7-0 at home in 64, I must've been bouncing off the walls when I got home post match due to the sugar rush. Of course etched in my memory forever was that monumental fa cup run of 64, beating First division Blackburn rovers at home , followed by being 'robbed' by PNE at home in the next round, losing 1-2 , the oppositions goals should not have stood, first was a foul on Harry Fearnly our keeper, the second, the linesman did not apply the then new offside rule, it was blatantly offside. I was 7 in 1964.

By the time I was 10 going on 11 I was often going to home games with school friends, my Dad was taking my younger sister along to games with him by then, we, me and school pals,'d stand in the London Rd end joining in with the loud n lairy vocal home support. My first away game was our first competitive game away to Sw*nd*n, I went on a coach with my Dad to that one (0-0 draw), he also took me to Reading away, after which I went to a few away games with my Uncle, my mums younger brother, before as I got into my teens I'd go to away games often by train on football specials. the one and only time my Dad took my sister into the London road end was that cup game v Watford, when the wall collapsed! She wasn't allowed in there again, not that it put her off.

My Sister my Uncle and I are all currently ST holders, all our kids and grandkids have been bought up right, supporting their local team, some go to games more often than others, all go to games occasionally.

Ive followed Oxford United all over the country, and actively supported them since '64, next year will mark 60 years unbroken supporting Oxford United through the good times, which haven't been many, and bad times too.
Wembley '86 just shades it by a fag paper over Wembley '10 as the finest OUFC moment for me . League games, the Beano double away to Scum, along with the 6 in a row and 7 in a row home n away games are right up there. Guaranteeing promotion to the top flight drawing 3-3 away to Charlton on a night match. Surviving relegation away at Tranmere. Cup games in recentish times, beating Swansea, West Ham, and in the 80s that 3 game epic v Big Rons Man U, eventual winners under lights aet at the Manor.
Regrets, and particular downsides/ lows are, after qualifying for Europe for the first and only time, then not being able to watch my team play European club football( due to bindippers actions at Heyschel stadium). Being relegated for the first time ever ( as Oxford United) on the last game of the season away to Orient - the fleet of double dekker buses organised by LRT was certainly a fun journey home. Being relegated on the last day of the season at the breeze block, by Leyton Orient. - Yes there's a theme here as to my reasoning behind IMO should never play in red. Bindippers, Orient , and of course Scum all play in red. Why thefuck should Oxfrd United FC even consider wearing a red shirt is way beyond my comprehension.

as Sly and the Family Stone sang - Its a Family Affair

Last edited:
I do not live in Oxford and never have done so. My maternal grandfather (Bill 'Willy' Morris) - and hence also my mum when she was little - did, however. Originally on the London Road and then in Stanton St. John in later life. Not only that but he played for Headington United - playing for the cricket team in the summer and the football team in the winter. When he got married, mu grandmother soon put a stop to all of that! However he never lost his love for Headington/Oxford United, and whenever we went for an extended visit it would always include a trip to the Manor. And of course it became a highlight - he was a great grandfather and the football was extremely exciting to a youngster.

He'd never pay to get in - when we got anywhere near the ground, there would be many people saying hello to him and someone would always give him a couple of tickets! We'd stand with his mates (all of a similar age) and they'd do nothing bit moan all game! Some things never change... and sometimes I catch myself saying stuff I am *sure* I first heard from him (although not in his Oxfordshire accent!)

That was it. Hooked. Since I live 50/60 miles away from the stadium, there have been times in my life when I have been an absentee supporter (especially when I had a young family) but have now been a season ticket holder for many years.

When we used to visit, we were living in Birmingham at the time. My great grandfather on my dad's side was a far more illustrious footballer ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Hall_(footballer,_born_1883) ) but nobody from my Dad's side of the family ever took me to Birmingham City or Leicester - who knows what would have happened of they had!

Thanks, Willy!

I was late to the party of being an OUFC supporter, so missed the glory days when at school, as I wasn't interested in Football. I only started watching football during 1990 World Cup, I got hooked, watching Gazza, Lineker, Waddle et al. The following season, I started watching Oxford United and have been a season ticket holder ever since.

It was the first live football I ever watched, and the perspective/feel of it was so different to televised football. Much more of a connected experience. So I ditched my Premier League club, and my interest increased as I hit teenage years and started to explore away grounds in obscure shithole towns up and down the country. Waiting to hear Oxford accents on the train up to Middlesbrough is a particularly fond memory. Also standing in that cowshed thing at Aldershot.

I have struggled to remain totally interested since COVID and I've taken on some different hobbies now, but Saturdays aren't Saturdays without the Oxford score and an examination of the league table.

I've never lived in Oxford or Oxfordshire and am a native Londoner, a family friend supported Oxford and took me to a game as my dad isn't interested in football. Hooked from the moment I went even though I was only very young and we lost the game. I loved it, grown blokes shouting and getting animated, the singing, it felt so immersive to me as a shy child at the time.

Of course I could have supported a successful London club, and went to some London club games growing up, but my heart has just always been with Oxford. Coming from outside the city I just think the city is really beautiful and I've met some people at away games I now consider friends, have to say I've never had any problems at Oxford games and 99% of our fans seem like nice people to me.

Growing up we were always rubbish really, so the promotion game at Wembley meant the world to me. I can be a bit of a moaner on here sometimes, but I do just love the club, and want it to compete right at the very top to make our long suffering fans happy! Would be amazing seeing us play all the way from the conference to the Championship.

My love for the game in general has died, the money is stupid at the top and VAR seems to have ripped out the last of the soul, but I still bloody love OUFC. COYY!

It was the first live football I ever watched, and the perspective/feel of it was so different to televised football. Much more of a connected experience. So I ditched my Premier League club, and my interest increased as I hit teenage years and started to explore away grounds in obscure shithole towns up and down the country. Waiting to hear Oxford accents on the train up to Middlesbrough is a particularly fond memory. Also standing in that cowshed thing at Aldershot.

I have struggled to remain totally interested since COVID and I've taken on some different hobbies now, but Saturdays aren't Saturdays without the Oxford score and an examination of the league table.
Never too late - come back to the fold!

I was a Liverpool fan (like everyone else in the early 80s because my mate was and my family had no interest in football. My brother was a few years older than me and was in the navy. When he’d come home he took me to the manor in 82 or 83 1st game I saw us hammer Plymouth and fell utterly head over heals

I then used to hang out by beach Rd entrance in the hope that I’d get complimentary tickets and on a few occasions did. Went to Wembley in 86 and my family finally bought me a scarf, accepting that Oxford is my club and will always be.

Funnily enough I now really don’t like Liverpool.

Same here, Marston Road Yellow. I was a Liverpool fan as a small boy. Some neighbours offered to take me to see them at Coventry. Had I not been ill that day, I think I'd be a Liverpool fan still. But I retain no affection for them at all now.

One day my dad - who didn't even like or care care about football - said I should support my local team. He wasn't serious, but I thought I might as well follow Oxford too.

I totally fell in love with them. My first game was against QPR in 1986. No, not THAT one...the league game three weeks beforehand. It was insanely exciting to see my heroes in the flesh. And a 3-3 draw.

I've worked for some very famous people and not been fazed. But on the two occasions I could have spoken to Alan Judge - AS AN ADULT! - I was too shy.

A very happy coincidence is that yellow was already my favourite colour. I miss the Manor dearly and can't really bear the Kassam, but I love Oxford United.

I'm a very bad fan, but I'm Oxford forever.

When I was about 3, spending Saturday afternoons at home with my mum, pissed off that my Dad was at The Manor. Waiting for the half times, then the full times on the Vidi Printer.
The Vidi Printer was the most exciting machine ever invented BTW.
Dad comes home bleating on about Nigel Cassidy and Hugh Curran, which I worked out all by myself were The Gods of Oxford United.
Finally, I was promoted from Reserve games to the first team 1973/1974.
Heartbroken that my Dad wouldn't take me to the Man Utd game, but was allowed to stay up to watch Derek Clarke's goal on MOTD.
Heartbroken that my Dad said we would never play at Wembley, but comforted by the rumour that Roy Burton bet someone £10 that we would.
Those were the only 2 times my old man broke my heart. He made up for it by taking me to my first away game at Watford.
1500 games later, watching the Barnsley game, excited like only a 6 year old could be.

Except that I'm 56.

When I was about 3, spending Saturday afternoons at home with my mum, pissed off that my Dad was at The Manor. Waiting for the half times, then the full times on the Vidi Printer.
The Vidi Printer was the most exciting machine ever invented BTW.
Dad comes home bleating on about Nigel Cassidy and Hugh Curran, which I worked out all by myself were The Gods of Oxford United.
Finally, I was promoted from Reserve games to the first team 1973/1974.
Heartbroken that my Dad wouldn't take me to the Man Utd game, but was allowed to stay up to watch Derek Clarke's goal on MOTD.
Heartbroken that my Dad said we would never play at Wembley, but comforted by the rumour that Roy Burton bet someone £10 that we would.
Those were the only 2 times my old man broke my heart. He made up for it by taking me to my first away game at Watford.
1500 games later, watching the Barnsley game, excited like only a 6 year old could be.

Except that I'm 56.

Oh, that tiny element of suspense you got with the vidiprinter... and then those days when they had to use ( ) (brackets)!

Marvelous.

Oh, that tiny element of suspense you got with the vidiprinter... and then those days when they had to use ( ) (brackets)!

Marvelous.

Ceefax was the same. Waiting for the pages to go through until the Oxford score came up, or page 312 for possible transfers on the news summary or regularly checking in with the transfers page on transfer deadline day.

Ceefax was the same. Waiting for the pages to go through until the Oxford score came up, or page 312 for possible transfers on the news summary or regularly checking in with the transfers page on transfer deadline day.
As I've mentioned on here before, I did "watch" Oxford beat Charlton on penalties via Ceefax, you had to wait for the page to scroll round every time to see if we had scored or missed our next penalty - THAT was tension!

Back
Top Bottom