General The fairytale is over

My initial thought is 'terrible shame, but amazed that he lasted so long'. My brother used to know one of the Pogues back in the day and, from the stories I have heard, it's amazing they put up with Shane's behaviour at all!

I'll listen to Rum, Sodomy and The Lash today in memory of him.

The island it is silent now
But the ghosts still haunt the waves
And the torch lights up a famished man
Who fortune could not save

R.I.P. Shane.

My initial thought is 'terrible shame, but amazed that he lasted so long'. My brother used to know one of the Pogues back in the day and, from the stories I have heard, it's amazing they put up with Shane's behaviour at all!

I'll listen to Rum, Sodomy and The Lash today in memory of him.
I saw them live around 1990? And he had to leave the stage to vomit 3 or 4 times :(

I saw them live around 1990? And he had to leave the stage to vomit 3 or 4 times :(
Good of him to leave the stage, mind.

Pogues were ace. Rest well shane. Yesterday i went into a bar and someone was doing the blandest cover of "dirty old town" known to man, in tribute. I thought "its what he would have wanted; to have been dead before this version"

Dirty Old Town is a Ewan MacColl song and a bit of a folkie staple and was so long before the Pogues version. I've heard many many dismal versions of it down the years! 😵‍💫

RIP the most captivatingly entertaining cloakroom attendant ever

Back in the mid- late 80s the monthly northern/rare soul allnighters at London's 100 club, Shane McGowan 'ran' the cloakroom for a few years. At the the time it was one of the few places in London that he wasn't barred from that had a 'late' bar. Shane would converse with anyone n everyone, often telling/sharing some more than amusing tales, stories and anecdotes

I saw the Pogues play more than a few times over the years too

pic below taken/ borrowed from 100 club allnighter promoters social media page

Shane MacGowan, during his 'cloakroom attendant' period, with 100 club niter promoter having a word in Shane's ear ....

406654886_10161459603974859_6505453225535668287_n.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a picture that spells trouble:

View attachment 17011
There's quite a few accounts on the internet of the havoc this caused
Thanks for sharing this, I enjoyed reading it.

• React
Reactions: m
Back
Top Bottom