shambles...

Surely there’s plenty of easier ways to make money than taking on OUFC. I would say that’s the best way to lose money! I think people might be reading too much into this, I reckon he saw us, probably also his dabble in F1 to some extent, as more of a hobby than anything. Certainly not his main source of income. Maybe, as is the way with hobbies, he’s now getting a bit bored with it?

Surely there’s plenty of easier ways to make money than taking on OUFC. I would say that’s the best way to lose money! I think people might be reading too much into this, I reckon he saw us, probably also his dabble in F1 to some extent, as more of a hobby than anything. Certainly not his main source of income. Maybe, as is the way with hobbies, he’s now getting a bit bored with it?

Or as he’s said all along he loves the hobby but needs someone to join him to help take it to the next level where hobbies become seriously expensive

I suppose I'm suggesting that, as a non-OUFC fan until he took over, there can be little motivation other than to make money. I'm not even saying that's a bad thing, but it's probably a fact.

(Perhaps I'm not as easily influenced by his 'standing on the away terrace' and 'being approachable in pubs' actions as some. He's ultimately a chairman, not a dyed in the wool fan. Got a feeling this might provoke a reaction though!)
This is my opinion...

He will always be a businessman. His status as OUFC fan is presumed but certainly temporary. Will he be looking out keenly for our results in ten years time? I doubt it.

His interests have coincided with ours, namely to take an under performing club and lift it through one, ideally two divisions. The benefit to him is to increase the value of his investment, and no doubt to enjoy that experience also.

Is this a criticism of him? Not at all. Will he always take decisions that are in the best interest of Oxford United? So long as they are also in his best interest, yes. Would he put the club's interests before his own. I doubt it. Again, not a criticism. Is his current absence from the scene unhelpful and troubling, leading to a whole raft of speculation, and undoing previous good work? Yes. Can it be repaired if he makes a good managerial appointment and gives a good explanation for his recent actions? Yes I would have thought so.

Sad to say, but this club is in a right old state and that state has been looming over the horizon for a while. To re-cap, as things stand, and in no particular order:

1. A new manager is going to arrive not in November/ December, as best practice indicates, but at the end of January
2. The club was ejected from the two serious Cup competitions at the earliest stage by teams at the bottom of League 2
3. After a protracted period with no day-to-day leadership, the club has just appointed a part-time MD with no prior experience of football club management (no fault of his, by the way, as running schools is a more admirable occupation)
4. There has been no commercial or marketing leadership for over a year, and therefore no commercial and marketing initiatives of any kind.
5. The club has allegedly been in and out of takeover discussions for almost a year, and has not denied as much
6. In that time, and not surprisingly, the manager and his entire playing leadership team has left, of their own accord, followed by the chief scout
7. The club is in litigation with its landlord, who has baldly stated that he is going to make life as difficult as possible
8. After two massive price hikes, home crowds are down by over 15%
9. On the pitch, the team has suffered its worst ever result, a 0-7 home defeat to a side in our own league, something even he Kemp side didn't manage

The positive is that we are mid-table in League 1, still have some good players and staff, and if swift, decisive, strategically sensible action is taken at all levels then the tanker can gradually be turned around. But equally, we are a couple more bad decisions and a bit of bad luck away from disaster. Here's hoping that those good decisions start to be made. Whatever all our differences of opinion in the past, I think that we can all agree that the club is entering a pretty important period in its history.

I think you and others need to put things into perspective. The club is far from being a shambles. Hartlepool is a shambles not Oxford United. It has been ran better in the past granted, but it isn’t a shambles.

Going back to Magurie, he thought he'd be off to Wigan with Mapp. When that didn't happen he had to reset his sights. The dynamic at Oxford had changed somewhat and the rest is history. That's via someone who is a decent source of info and isn't often wrong.

Hopefully found the right place for this.
The reality of watching the soap opera unwind is rather more scary than a FM simulation :) With Pep going I was kind of expecting we may hear about a take-over, a new manager with some signings lined up but it seems it wasn't THE sign. Feels like DE is finding it rather more difficult to sell a club than buy one and especially one where recent performances have been awful and the feel-good is in decline - it's a different feel to 2 or 3 games into the season when we were playing with purpose. I am now thinking we will take Faz until year end, probably lose Lego and Roth and hold on to Eastwood - I don't think we will spend though or bring anyone in. We have some youngsters like Carol, Napa etc and I think they might all be thrown in at the deep end in the hope they perform alongside those returning from injury. There are a lot of players with a lot to prove although under Pep they were being asked to play a different role each week and not all of them are very good out of position. There are enough bad teams in the league luckily that we ought to stay up, although right now I cannot see where we might get our next point, but DE might now be seeing it as a prelude to a fire sale and will just aim to keep the ship afloat (unless the fans really P**s him off) and sell it ASAP and cut his losses. We have to be careful who comes in. We do not want to be a discarded toy of a billionaire after 3m (although without one we are condemned to 2nd or 3rd tier mediocrity) so I understand DE wanting to protect the long term interests, but it may be that we don't see ANY new players coming in or a new manager until season end/the club is sold. Just a gut feeling. Hold on to your hats. After the U21 show though I hope that it has brought things into perspective. We were slaughtered - they caught us at a good time but slaughtered - when there is such a huge gulf in ability like that, it had me scratching my head about whether it really mattered whether we bought exciting players we perceived as being essential, other than to have created a more appealing aesthetic and with it false hope. I asked myself what the point would be, if I were DE, of throwing £10m at getting us up. He would have to spend £20m next year just to keep us there. That isn't reasonable for us to expect him to do and not what he bought into. He has achieved what he set out to do and he knows it is a rich mans game from here onward. We clearly have a long way to go to be able to compete with Championship clubs and £10m probably doesn't cut it - we would either have to sign people on a one year contract or players who could play Championship and above. The current model dissolves. We now know that we are miles behind even the academies of the Premiership. I think for many football supporters us losing 3-0 to Chelsea was equally as depressing as it was for us and brought home the sheer hopelessness of expectation of any small club hoping to one day box big. We might get promoted in the next 3 or 4 years, probably via the playoffs, and with that comes more TV money etc but does anyone really think we then go up to the Premiership any time soon? It is unfortunately going to be a long slog just to tread water and as we do so the money and talent gap ever widens. We will never ever see a full strength Premiership team fielded to play a minnow in a cup tie. Giant killing is a thing of the past. The name of the game for DE is consolidation and keeping the fans interested when things aren't running smoothly on the pitch, which may be for most of the time for a bit. As a chairman surely DE will balance the books and look to cash out at any opportunity. If attendances go down he will be forced to sell players so we need him as much as he needs us. Fans calls for a cash injection and rapid transfer activity will I fear fall upon deaf ears. Football is not losing out from seeing an otherwise world beating Oxford United side who have just been crying out to sign a decent striker!!. Lets be patient. 2 fwd, 4 sideways 1 back ....and repeat......shambles? everyone is doing it
FalmouthOX (prev FoweyOx)

When working at Lloyds he used money from two companies it owned to sponsor his own Formula One team and had to resign. He was also a shareholder in a firm of headhunters which carried out assignments for LDC. Certainly a little dodgy.

LDC was owned by Lloyds bank - and was state owned. Learndirect was launched by the government as a charity and taken private by LDC in 2011. At that point it had no borrowings but the group of companies became heavily laden with debt.

Revenues went up but profits fell. At the same time, Learndirect’s parent companies, Pimco (Holdings) and Pimco 2909 paid out tens of millions of pounds in management fees, dividends and interest payments. It was turned into a cash cow and seems to have been used to extract as much money as possible.

I think this information is a useful reminder. However, in the interests of accuracy I don't think Mr Eels ever owned Marussia. What he did was lose at least 13m of LDC's money. Of course, given certain doubts about what the Russian owner's goal actually was there may be more to it.

My own initial view was that he is a dilettante who would get bored. I see no reason to change it as he seems to have done so from last January.

The reason for mentioning Sartori is that he is often used as a comparator to DE. The fact is that it is easy to make promises, and much harder to deliver on them. DE has delivered roughly what he set out to do. He has made mistakes and the last year has not been great, but equally in contrast to recent times it has been far from bad.

The learn direct situation is interesting but is not comparable to Oxford in my view. The player sales have given DE some money back, but the kind of returns he would want if he saw us as a cash cow. He could have cashed in on Ledson and Eastwood, kept Pep drifting through his contract and spent nothing on Brannagan and Dickie. But he has put his hand in his pocket or sought the funding support of others. Either way, we as a club benefit.

Eh? There are differences of interpretation and then there is just delusion/lying (depending on intent).
There is no doubt that Ensco backed Ashton's vision until Ashton left. Over two years, 4.5 million was 'invested' over and above the 4 million spent buying the club.
Since Ashton left, the clear financials have been very, very different. Net, around 4 million has left the club.
Bringing in a chap who can't make the Reading squad is not 'putting his hand in his pocket' or not in any meaningful way. The total paid for Brannegan and Dickie was about 70k. 4 million goes out and 70k comes in and you call that 'sticking his hand in his pocket' ? Words fail me.
Even before Johnson got flogged (after a two month auction, by the way) the club had net receivables of well over 2 million. The hand certainly went to the pocket but never re-emerged!
This is all fine. Why should someone who put 4 million in not get 4 million back?
But please not let anyone pretend simultaneously that an effort was being made to improve the squad to make a real effort for the championship.
On the point about my supposed bitterness, maybe I am a little bitter. Not because I wanted to own or run the club. I couldn't afford to do either! But just imagine, for a moment, that you found someone with 20 million quid to invest in a League 1 club and brought him to OUFC. Might you feel just a little disappointed if, a week before the deal was due to close, it was stopped?
Frankly, if Tiger has 20 million to stick in then I will be upset if he is prevented from spending it on us!!
Stewart vetted Juan with all the care you would expect of someone who loves OUFC and ensured that the money was real and that he had proper football people around him.
So, Yes, disappointing that - at a stage when OUFC had positive momentum - it was deemed not in the interests of the club for Juan and Stewart to direct their considerable resources and energy to complete the job that WPL and Ensco had started. And all the more frustrating, once that decision had been made, to see things needlessly disintegrate 'in the interests of the club'.
Any fan who is not frustrated right now puzzles me deeply. People talk about this being 'consolidation'. It is not consolidation to have your worst ever result.its not consolidation to sack a manager after six months, but be left with his useless players. It's not consolidation to be humiliated in all three cup competitions.
If MK Dons win one game in hand then we are 5 points off the relegation places. We then have 11 of the 12 best sides in the division to play over the course of the next 17 games (We have already played a bunch of bottom end teams twice). So we need to start getting points against teams in the top 10. Perhaps someone can tell me when we last did that. There is a lot of sleepwalking going on.....

The reason for mentioning Sartori is that he is often used as a comparator to DE. The fact is that it is easy to make promises, and much harder to deliver on them. DE has delivered roughly what he set out to do. He has made mistakes and the last year has not been great, but equally in contrast to recent times it has been far from bad.

The learn direct situation is interesting but is not comparable to Oxford in my view. The player sales have given DE some money back, but the kind of returns he would want if he saw us as a cash cow. He could have cashed in on Ledson and Eastwood, kept Pep drifting through his contract and spent nothing on Brannagan and Dickie. But he has put his hand in his pocket or sought the funding support of others. Either way, we as a club benefit.

Eh? There are differences of interpretation and then there is just delusion/lying (depending on intent).
There is no doubt that Ensco backed Ashton's vision until Ashton left. Over two years, 4.5 million was 'invested' over and above the 4 million spent buying the club.
Since Ashton left, the clear financials have been very, very different. Net, around 4 million has left the club.
Bringing in a chap who can't make the Reading squad is not 'putting his hand in his pocket' or not in any meaningful way. The total paid for Brannegan and Dickie was about 70k. 4 million goes out and 70k comes in and you call that 'sticking his hand in his pocket' ? Words fail me.
Even before Johnson got flogged (after a two month auction, by the way) the club had net receivables of well over 2 million. The hand certainly went to the pocket but never re-emerged!
This is all fine. Why should someone who put 4 million in not get 4 million back?
But please not let anyone pretend simultaneously that an effort was being made to improve the squad to make a real effort for the championship.
On the point about my supposed bitterness, maybe I am a little bitter. Not because I wanted to own or run the club. I couldn't afford to do either! But just imagine, for a moment, that you found someone with 20 million quid to invest in a League 1 club and brought him to OUFC. Might you feel just a little disappointed if, a week before the deal was due to close, it was stopped?
Frankly, if Tiger has 20 million to stick in then I will be upset if he is prevented from spending it on us!!
Stewart vetted Juan with all the care you would expect of someone who loves OUFC and ensured that the money was real and that he had proper football people around him.
So, Yes, disappointing that - at a stage when OUFC had positive momentum - it was deemed not in the interests of the club for Juan and Stewart to direct their considerable resources and energy to complete the job that WPL and Ensco had started. And all the more frustrating, once that decision had been made, to see things needlessly disintegrate 'in the interests of the club'.
Any fan who is not frustrated right now puzzles me deeply. People talk about this being 'consolidation'. It is not consolidation to have your worst ever result.its not consolidation to sack a manager after six months, but be left with his useless players. It's not consolidation to be humiliated in all three cup competitions.
If MK Dons win one game in hand then we are 5 points off the relegation places. We then have 11 of the 12 best sides in the division to play over the course of the next 17 games (We have already played a bunch of bottom end teams twice). So we need to start getting points against teams in the top 10. Perhaps someone can tell me when we last did that. There is a lot of sleepwalking going on.....

So is it not possible that js wanted to own the club outright and that is not what de is looking for ? Would js have been happy with de retaining a % and lending the investment that he has from day one said he would be looking for. Also how much of js interest was dependant on WE ? I bet he would have been as shocked as the rest of us to spend £xxx on buying the club only to find that even despite email confirmation it was a no go. Would he have been happy spending all that money and not having the fabled new stadium to show for it? That’s not a dig, u keep mentioning that he was going to invest £20m. But keep neglecting to mention that there was no site available

Just to save scotchegg the trouble, here is the answer. The last time we got a point against a top 10 side was October, 3-3 against Rotherham. The last time we BEAT a top ten side was Peterborough away. Before that, only Pompey at home (And they were so short of players pre takeover that Danny rose was their playmaker!).
So on the track record against top half sides to date, our 10 games against them coming up may not yield very much.
Best be winning most of our six games against the bottom halfers. You know, games like Plymouth (promotion form over the last three months), Wimbledon away, Northampton away. Given how we thrashed Bury, all we have to do is turn up!

Just to save scotchegg the trouble, here is the answer. The last time we got a point against a top 10 side was October, 3-3 against Rotherham. The last time we BEAT a top ten side was Peterborough away. Before that, only Pompey at home (And they were so short of players pre takeover that Danny rose was their playmaker!).
So on the track record against top half sides to date, our 10 games against them coming up may not yield very much.
Best be winning most of our six games against the bottom halfers. You know, games like Plymouth (promotion form over the last three months), Wimbledon away, Northampton away. Given how we thrashed Bury, all we have to do is turn up![/QUO

We drew 1-1 at Gillingham on Boxing Day, Gillingham are 10th

Great post. Like you say there is nothing wrong at all with taking money and making a profit. DE is a venture capitalist. Its what he does.

But people who believe we are splashing the cash are just deluded.

The radio silence has me convinced that Pep left due to concerns over the sale of players.

I expect Eastwood and Ledson to depart this week.

G
We drew 1-1 at Gillingham on Boxing Day, Gillingham are 10th

Great post. Thank You. I shall re-phrase.

In the last three months, we have scored one point against a team in the top half of the table (And when we got that point they were firmly bottom half).
All season we have managed two wins against teams in the top half of the table. Peterborough away and Portsmouth at home just before they had funds released to sign a League 1 squad.
So that is a total of 10 points from 13 games against top half sides (And that includes the rather meaningless pompey result) with 4 points from the last 8 games.

Well quite. Like your talk for 3 years or more about our future 'state of the art' stadium at Water Eaton, that amounted to you knowing a farmer that might want to sell a field or 2!!

Roofe wages? Wasn't he on £5k a week?

And even now. £4.5million in and 70k out. That'll be reflect in the accounts will it? No signing on fees, loan fees, significant increase in wages? Just DE sat back on a huge pile of cash?

I know that you work in PR so you know how to spin a story, but equally I work with people who couldn't lie straight in bed so your horse sh*t and bitterness is clear to see.

This is my opinion...

He will always be a businessman. His status as OUFC fan is presumed but certainly temporary. Will he be looking out keenly for our results in ten years time? I doubt it.

His interests have coincided with ours, namely to take an under performing club and lift it through one, ideally two divisions. The benefit to him is to increase the value of his investment, and no doubt to enjoy that experience also.

Is this a criticism of him? Not at all. Will he always take decisions that are in the best interest of Oxford United? So long as they are also in his best interest, yes. Would he put the club's interests before his own. I doubt it. Again, not a criticism. Is his current absence from the scene unhelpful and troubling, leading to a whole raft of speculation, and undoing previous good work? Yes. Can it be repaired if he makes a good managerial appointment and gives a good explanation for his recent actions? Yes I would have thought so.

Very true; very true.
Surprised that pottersrightboot has liked the post, though. Any previous suggestion that DE has (Or would ever) act in his own interest against the club's interest has met with, um, considerable push back from Mr Rosser.
Since it is inarguable logic, and no blame attached to it by the way, better that one repenteth and all that.
But it does at least make the last year Or So rather easier to interpret!!

Far
Well quite. Like your talk for 3 years or more about our future 'state of the art' stadium at Water Eaton, that amounted to you knowing a farmer that might want to sell a field or 2!!

Roofe wages? Wasn't he on £5k a week?

And even now. £4.5million in and 70k out. That'll be reflect in the accounts will it? No signing on fees, loan fees, significant increase in wages? Just DE sat back on a huge pile of cash?

I know that you work in PR so you know how to spin a story, but equally I work with people who couldn't lie straight in bed so your horse sh*t and bitterness is clear to see.

Ah, bless. Little man got angry and had to take things off topic to obscure his fibs.

The fact that you surround yourself with scumbags in real life might explain why you are so perennially hurt and sensitive.

Far

Ah, bless. Little man got angry and had to take things off topic to obscure his fibs.

The fact that you surround yourself with scumbags in real life might explain why you are so perennially hurt and sensitive.

Not really, it just means that I can see people for what they really are.

As for taking things off topic, you accused me of lying and I pointed out some of the whoppers you've come out with in the past.

You want to be taken seriously. You want people to believe that you know best. But unfortunately, you let yourself down time and again by continually misleading people to push your own little agenda.

Back
Top Bottom