shambles...

Most of the panic and negativity currently displayed on this forum is a result of the silence from the board.

Into this vacuum pours a lot of worries and frustrations. It's perhaps easier to assume the worst. The more we debate here, the angrier people are getting.

Eales might suddenly give the OM one of his "I don't understand what everyone's getting so stressed about, it's all good" interviews this week.

But I wish he'd say something soon before we have to start handing out the number for the Samaritans.

I don’t know, the same people were panicking and saying the same things 3 years ago, at which point de and ma were constantly in the media.

Nope.
For 21st place to get 52 points it would not require several teams to significantly out perform.
Currently, MK dons are on 30 points from 28 games. If they just continued that rate of points accumulation they would get to 49.5 points after 46 games. If Northampton just continued current accumulation they will get to 50.5 points after 46 games. If Blackpool do likewise, 51.5 points.
So three teams need to marginally improve their dire performance to date.
But here is the rub. That very often does happen during the run-in. Desperation, urgency and careers being on the line often fires up better performance. We have seen all three of those teams recently, and can we honestly say that collectively they are Any worse than us? I don't think so.
To repeat: do I think we ARE going to go down? Probably not. But do I think that we should be entirely dismissing the possibility, as silly Scotch Egg does? No. We are five points clear of Northampton in 20th and have to play them at Sixfields. A team that can be whupped 0-7 at home and have six points taken off it by the condemned last place side is not a team to be relied upon for anything. Let's hope that Brannegan and co make a difference, because I wouldn't trust the current bunch for a moment to get 16 points in the next 14 games....

I know it's a little childish to use one result (with a couple of late late goals) as a way of making a point, but lets take a look at our current position and see if it's still doom and gloom?

We are currently 9 points + a game in hand + far superior goal difference ahead of Oldham. That game in hand might be against Wigan, but equally they already be at the promotion party by then. We are averaging 1.35 points per game for the season (or 1.2 ppg in the last 3 months). That gives us anything between 19 and 21 more points or 60-62 which would have left us in 11th-13th place last year.

For us to get dragged into a relegation battle, teams around the bottom 5 or 6 will need to be getting 2 points a game in the final third of the season when they have been getting only around 1 point a game in the previous two-thirds. Likely?

Now, I accept it is only one game, and our next 4 games are against teams who are in a bit of form, but we've picked up 9 points in 5 games ourselves so definitely no reason to throw the towel in as many have.

So, please have a little patience, have a little faith, and see that silly scotch egg may not be so silly after all!!

Piffle. We were sleepwalking into the relegation places under Pep. You can beat Charlie with any old stick you like but not that. One good result does not make a case, but it's a start that we wouldn't have had if posters who wanted Pep to see the season out had had their way.

Most of the panic and negativity currently displayed on this forum is a result of the silence from the board.

Into this vacuum pours a lot of worries and frustrations. It's perhaps easier to assume the worst. The more we debate here, the angrier people are getting.

Eales might suddenly give the OM one of his "I don't understand what everyone's getting so stressed about, it's all good" interviews this week.

But I wish he'd say something soon before we have to start handing out the number for the Samaritans.

I think you’re right it’s the lack of communication that leads to speculation and in some cases down right lies.

We’re all concerned about the team we love. No matter what is going on with takeovers, managers, stadium, players etc it’s just good to have a little information. I’d even say a quote of “im unable to comment at this time” would be better than silence.

The club didn’t comment on Peps sacking or their intentions for a replacement. Finding out through social media that we’ve approached one candidate and have asked to speak to another is a it odd, ok maybe initially, and still no statement from the club.

We really need someone like Amanda back at the club or a good communication bod.

I think you’re right it’s the lack of communication that leads to speculation and in some cases down right lies.

We’re all concerned about the team we love. No matter what is going on with takeovers, managers, stadium, players etc it’s just good to have a little information. I’d even say a quote of “im unable to comment at this time” would be better than silence.

The club didn’t comment on Peps sacking or their intentions for a replacement. Finding out through social media that we’ve approached one candidate and have asked to speak to another is a it odd, ok maybe initially, and still no statement from the club.

We really need someone like Amanda back at the club or a good communication bod.

Sorry Shaun I must have missed something - not being too involved with most social media sites - I know we’ve asked to speak to Unsworth, who’s the second person we’ve approached?

Another bit of good news, and another sign of non cost cutting

I'm actually delighted - fist pumped and all. As a ST holder - costing just £40 - it really is excellent value for money. I think a lot of people would be surprised by the standard of the ladies team this season too, they have a team of good players and a few very good ones. I've really enjoyed this season; been a welcome relief from the emotional roller coaster of the men's at times, if I'm honest.

So yeah, very pleased. Thank you Mr. Eales!

Last edited:
Whilst not everything in the garden is suddenly rosy, it does seem to me that DE could see that things were drifting and has stepped in and taken some positive steps. (Some of this is presumption, but not without foundation)

He has got rid of an under-performing manager who seemed lost
He has taken charge of recruitment, reverting to the previous 'young player' policy (including young loanees from top clubs)
He has NOT cashed in on players that he could have sold during the transfer window
He has got rid of a player who was never going to cut it
He has funded the women's team

I know that doesn't address all of the problems by any means but at least it shows some renewal of interest from the owner.

I for one think your presumptions are a decent working set. Hoping Eels's got his OUFC mojo back.

I wonder if he took charge of recruitment or just ordained the policy would be thus; it would be interesting (but unimportant maybe) to know who executed the policy.

Whilst not everything in the garden is suddenly rosy, it does seem to me that DE could see that things were drifting and has stepped in and taken some positive steps. (Some of this is presumption, but not without foundation)

He has got rid of an under-performing manager who seemed lost
He has taken charge of recruitment, reverting to the previous 'young player' policy (including young loanees from top clubs)
He has NOT cashed in on players that he could have sold during the transfer window
He has got rid of a player who was never going to cut it
He has funded the women's team

I know that doesn't address all of the problems by any means but at least it shows some renewal of interest from the owner.
I think the first 2 points are connected, it looks like DE gave Pep his head in the recruitment process and it didn't work out, back now with the recruitment team to carry on where they left off before Pep arrived.
Was he ever going to cash in on players
Was he not going to fund the women's team
DE would sanction paying off players with from advice of others.

Yes the lack of recent communications from DE has been frustrating.

Has DE received the external investment he was hoping for? The Thai's have been milling around for a while now.

A few months / 1 year ago there was some undeniable cost cutting being made by DE throughout the club. Thankfully this was primarily off the pitch rather than on it, coupled with the increased ST prices many were starting to get the impression he was either struggling or losing the passion for it.

Since Tigers appearances though DE certainly seems to have his mojo back, we're investing in players again that's for sure. Coincidence? Could be totally wide of the mark that Tiger has any involvement or financial input whatsoever, but I wouldn't be surprised. Just a theory!

I think the first 2 points are connected, it looks like DE gave Pep his head in the recruitment process and it didn't work out, back now with the recruitment team to carry on where they left off before Pep arrived.

You are right, it does look like Pep had a large hand in many of those signings. For me, the question would be: why on earth was he allowed to do that? The 'young players' model had been very successful albeit probably needing a little more experience to balance it out. But there is 'experience' and there is 'past it' and 'not suitable for English L1 football'.

I hope that what seems to be a reversion to the previous recruitment policy will be one of the non-negotiables as far as any new manager is concerned - although I cannot imagine any other manager signing players like some of those Pep found in the dusty pages of his little black book TBH.

You are right, it does look like Pep had a large hand in many of those signings. For me, the question would be: why on earth was he allowed to do that? The 'young players' model had been very successful albeit probably needing a little more experience to balance it out. But there is 'experience' and there is 'past it' and 'not suitable for English L1 football'.

I hope that what seems to be a reversion to the previous recruitment policy will be one of the non-negotiables as far as any new manager is concerned - although I cannot imagine any other manager signing players like some of those Pep found in the dusty pages of his little black book TBH.

Even before Pep arrived there had been talk of looking further afield for players, particularly in Europe. I suspect the Board were persuaded that Pep could use his overseas contacts to bring in the players we needed. On the face of it that thinking was an error of judgement.

Tiendalli, Xemi, Van Kessel are just not good enough. The jury’s still out on Mehmeti. Ricardinho has been a plus point. Will we ever see Pekalski in a yellow shirt?

Has DE received the external investment he was hoping for? The Thai's have been milling around for a while now.

A few months / 1 year ago there was some undeniable cost cutting being made by DE throughout the club. Thankfully this was primarily off the pitch rather than on it, coupled with the increased ST prices many were starting to get the impression he was either struggling or losing the passion for it.

Since Tigers appearances though DE certainly seems to have his mojo back, we're investing in players again that's for sure. Coincidence? Could be totally wide of the mark that Tiger has any involvement or financial input whatsoever, but I wouldn't be surprised. Just a theory!

Or the takeover/investment never happened so DE had to start reinvesting

Tiendalli, Xemi, Van Kessel are just not good enough. The jury’s still out on Mehmeti. Ricardinho has been a plus point. Will we ever see Pekalski in a yellow shirt?

Xemi is a case in point. We signed him on a THREE YEAR contract only for us to release him (presumably with a sizeable payoff) after 6 months of infrequent - and ineffective -appearances! Why on earth was that allowed to happen? Were the club blinded by the fact that he payed for Barcelona B? It's OK looking further afield for players, but the scouting has got to be spot on because the chances of getting someone who can't cope with our league/weather/food(!) is obviously much higher than if you are signing a player with a proven track record here.

As for Pekalski - I really hope he is bloody brilliant. I really do. But I think we almost have to treat it as an unexpected bonus if he turns out to be so, given Pep's track record overall with his foreign players.

Back
Top Bottom