National News Rishi Sunak

Anyone mentioned that the target of halving inflation has been met?

Or will it go to semantics as to how it is measured?

Autumn statement soon......... might be a few giveaways in that to please the middle ground.....
Cheap holidays to Rwanda, government has a few places going spare!! With Suella as your resident blue coat.

It must be really hard work being the Duty Tory who has to blindly defend this shower of s**t. Still, well done for trying. Your loyalty to the party line is almost admirable.

Like it or not we`ve got them for another year or so and there aren`t any credible alternatives.

Lets see how the "other lot" are looking after the SNP amendment and vote on a ceasefire in Gaza................ :)

Blindly walking towards leaving eu human rights behind …. With an unelected government using a special operation, sorry special measures to do it.

Blindly walking towards leaving eu human rights behind …. With an unelected government using a special operation, sorry special measures to do it.
Apart from the small matter of any emergency legislation not making it through the Lord's, this requiring the government to use the Parliament Act to force it through. Only problem being they probably haven't got enough time to do that before they get chucked out. . . .

Apart from the small matter of any emergency legislation not making it through the Lord's, this requiring the government to use the Parliament Act to force it through. Only problem being they probably haven't got enough time to do that before they get chucked out. . . .
I hope that's true. "We'll get rid of your rights so we can treat refugees and immigrants like dog s**t".

I hope that's true. "We'll get rid of your rights so we can treat refugees and immigrants like dog s**t".
I'm amazed more people aren't all over this. Maybe they are just in shock. Nobody should be actively cheering the removal of their human rights. It's ridiculous I even have to say it!! Even as Tory you may think 'well it's not going to impact me' but your human rights offers protection against not only this government but future ones, left, right and center.

It is so dark that any government should even suggest this, even worse off the back of a fabricated culture war. Very scary.

Anyway I expect Mr O'Brien to be all over this a ten this morning. Should be interesting.

Last edited:
I'm amazed more people aren't all over this. Maybe they are just in shock. Nobody should be actively cheering the removal of their human rights. It's ridiculous I even have to say it!! Even as Tory you may think :well it's not going to impact me' but your human rights offers protection against not only this government but future ones, left, right and center.

It is so dark that any government should even suggest this, even worse off the back of a fabricated culture war. Very scary.

Anyway I expect Mr O'Brien to be all over this a ten this morning. Should be interesting.
Absolutely right. As a Labour supporter I am very happy to criticise the party when I think it's wrong. Surely even the most diehard Tory supporters need to be against this. It's horrific.

Rishi has also overlooked the fact (he hasn't really) that the "foreign courts" he keeps on dog-whistling about, actually contain members of the BRITISH judiciary as part of our role in the ECHR.

The courts are not foreign, they are international - big and very important difference - unless we're intending to go all North Korea on this issue and retreat form the world stage.

Only countries not signed up to the ECHR?
Belarus and Russia - draw your own conclusions as to whether it's a good thing to keep that kind of company.

Rishi has also overlooked the fact (he hasn't really) that the "foreign courts" he keeps on dog-whistling about, actually contain members of the BRITISH judiciary as part of our role in the ECHR.

The courts are not foreign, they are international - big and very important difference - unless we're intending to go all North Korea on this issue and retreat form the world stage.

Only countries not signed up to the ECHR?
Belarus and Russia - draw your own conclusions as to whether it's a good thing to keep that kind of company.
Very well put

According to Newsnight last night, the Govt can't use the Parliament Act as the proposed legislation isn't in the Manifesto. So opposition, if in sufficient numbers, in the House of Lords can block it up for a year and the Govt can't do anything about it. Then they'd have to get it through the courts.

So if the opposition get organised then it remains a dead duck. Of course Sunak will try to use that in the General Election which may mean a date gets set sooner.

According to Newsnight last night, the Govt can't use the Parliament Act as the proposed legislation isn't in the Manifesto. So opposition, if in sufficient numbers, in the House of Lords can block it up for a year and the Govt can't do anything about it. Then they'd have to get it through the courts.

So if the opposition get organised then it remains a dead duck. Of course Sunak will try to use that in the General Election which may mean a date gets set sooner.
SO the Tory manifesto for the next election is effectively:

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”

#makeorwellfictionagain

Almost all the discussions I`ve heard on the radio over the last few days suggest that Rwanda is part of an array of measures to discourage illegal arrivals/migrants/refugees/people.

At the risk of sounding repetitive I`ve got no issue with migrants/refugees/people arriving in the UK through the proper channels and that isn`t crossing the English one in a dinghy.

There were 321,101 grants to main applicants on work visas, 45% higher than in the year ending June 2022.​
In the year ending June 2023, there were 498,626 sponsored study visas issued to main applicants, 23% more than in the year ending June 2022.​
There were 75,717 family-related visas granted in the year ending June 2023, more than double (110% more) the number in the year ending June 2022,​
533,449 people were offered a safe and legal (humanitarian) route from 2015 to June 2023. This includes:​
  • 260,362 Ukraine visa grants
  • 176,407 BN(O) visa grants
  • 50,169 people resettled or relocated
  • 46,511 family reunion visa grants
So tell me again that the safe & legal routes are not working?

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/stati...ending-june-2023/summary-of-latest-statistics

Only in Topsy-Turvy Tory World is a ceasefire a bad outcome.

Footnote: My MP (Labour) Did not vote like 140 of her colleagues.

One assumes saving her job whilst people continue to suffer.

For what its worth, of course there should be a ceasefire, but it is never going to happen or last, so humanitarian pauses are currently the best hope.

Back
Top Bottom