General RIP Gerry Summers

West Oxon U’s

Former United manager Gerry Summers (1969-1975) sadly passed away today aged 90.

RIP Gerry.

Ehva30pXcAEXe76

Summers was managing the U’s when I saw my first match in August ‘75.

He was relieved of his duties a month later. Mick Brown, his assistant, was then appointed his successor.

There was a clamour for Ron Atkinson I seem to recall. Many thought his sacking was harsh after being forced to sell star players like Dave Roberts
and Hugh Curran.

RIP.
He did a decent job keeping us in the equivalent of the Championship egist selling players.
Seemed a decent man as well.
The next 2 managers after Summers were not great appointments.

Not doubting he’s died but it’s strange there’s nothing anywhere saying he’s dead. I’d have thought the club would have had something up by now.

I started watching in 1971 so he’s the first manager I remember. I know nostalgia gets the better of us but I loved those days watching Oxford as a young boy - Burton, Lucas, Shuker, Evanson, Roberts, the Clarkes, Cassidy, Skeen etc ….. great days and happy memories!

RIP

Not doubting he’s died but it’s strange there’s nothing anywhere saying he’s dead. I’d have thought the club would have had something up by now.

I started watching in 1971 so he’s the first manager I remember. I know nostalgia gets the better of us but I loved those days watching Oxford as a young boy - Burton, Lucas, Shuker, Evanson, Roberts, the Clarkes, Cassidy, Skeen etc ….. great days and happy memories!

RIP
My first manager to. What days.

RIP

He was manager for the League Cup win against Swindon in 1969. Our first win over them and knocked the holders out of the Cup.

RIP.

Gerry was sacked on 1st October 1975. I started regularly following the club's results that very month (this was pure coincidence) and recall seeing an article in the Oxford Times about his sacking and Mick Brown's appointment.

I think the best tribute to pay to him is that John Shuker was quoted as saying that Summers was the best manager he played under, not necessarily because of results on the field, but because he was "very fair"

Last edited:
Always remember that game against York when Gerry was getting some flack in the press. We won courtesy of an own goal by their CB Barry Swallow.
And the headline in the Fail was "One Swallow doesn't make a Summers".
They don't write them like that anymore.

Always remember that game against York when Gerry was getting some flack in the press. We won courtesy of an own goal by their CB Barry Swallow.
And the headline in the Fail was "One Swallow doesn't make a Summers".
They don't write them like that anymore.
British Rail ran a Football Special for £2.50. Well patronised if I can remember correctly.

Manager when I started going in 1974. Someone told me he got the dugouts move to the Osler Road side so they would be in the sun. No idea if that was true or not.

Loved that season. Beat Man U, Sunderland, Millwall, Fulham, Bristol City and others at the Manor. Started an addiction that woulda a lifetime.

Manager when I started going in 1974. Someone told me he got the dugouts move to the Osler Road side so they would be in the sun. No idea if that was true or not.
Weren't the dugouts always on the Osler Road side before they were moved to the main stand, or were they well concealed?
Some old photos from the 60's in books (for example 'A Complete Record 1893-1989') appear not to show any dugouts on either side.

Back
Top Bottom