Potential New Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always have a butcher's at the shrunken heads in the Pitt-Kethley and a snort of peyotl before I make one big leap to the 'bird for a restorative Guinness or seven pre-match.

I am not sure I have heard anybody suggesting that we would fill a 20k stadium week after week.
Readings capacity is 24,000.
Their average in the Championship is normally around 17k, with crowds as low as 11k but they do get 20k crowds with big away teams.
Are Reading hugely bigger than Oxford?
Was going to write that almost word for word . Completely agree ...Reading average in 80's 4k .....if they can get crowds so improved why on earth not us ????

36.000 went to Wembley but where are they now?

I would say that for League games, we currently have around 4,000 fans that go to every game, season ticket holders.
We then have say around, 2,000 fans that get to about 10 games a season.
Then, maybe 4.000 fans that can make 5 or so games.
Then about 8,000 or so that can only get to 2 games a season.
That gives us an average of about 6,500 home fans a game, which I don't think is far out.

So, out of the 36,000 Wembley fans, that leaves 18,000 or so 'daytrippers', but they all have a connection in one way or another to the club.

Get to the Championship and aside from Season ticket holders, people will go to more games a season, at least for the first year or two.

Take out Cup games our average is around 6,600 pretty much as it has been for decades.
Currently a 12,500 capacity fits well.
Build a fourth stand and the club would be fine for a good few years.

The optimistic dream of regularly filling a 20k ground is unrealistic, costly and the current lease is ticking.

How about this..... FK thinks of his family. :eek:
Sells us the ground, but not the land, effectively like a leasehold property.
We stay for 20-30 years, and develop what is there, we end up established in the Championship with the brand etc flourishing.
Then we build the Southern Theatre of Dreams, move out and FK`s kids flatten the place and build houses.

Winner, winner chicken dinner. ? (y)

Many of us will not be here in 20-30 years so we don't give a sh!t what happens then.:mad:

So using your numbers those 2.000 4.000 8000 fans are suddenly going to be able to attend more games are they? you would do well to get what 20% more so using the top figure that's 1600 +6500 you still need at least another 9.000.

Take a look at the sides currently in the Championship how many realistically have a big enough attraction to a non attending audience?

Crowds will go up with the novelty factor but i cannot see a significant increase to fill a 15-20k stadium and also what happens when come the poor run of results it wont be long before your faced with 1/2 empty stadium at best.

So using your numbers those 2.000 4.000 8000 fans are suddenly going to be able to attend more games are they? you would do well to get what 20% more so using the top figure that's 1600 +6500 you still need at least another 9.000.

Take a look at the sides currently in the Championship how many realistically have a big enough attraction to a non attending audience?

Crowds will go up with the novelty factor but i cannot see a significant increase to fill a 15-20k stadium and also what happens when come the poor run of results it wont be long before your faced with 1/2 empty stadium at best.

Atleast with a half empty stadium you get to choose where to sit. Can use the toilets, can get a drink/food at half time. When we fill the kassam you can't do any of that as the concourse is not big enough.

I had cause to be watching Racing 92 v Munster yesterday.
Now this is a ground and a half and it has a "flexible fence end" or video wall.
Holds 32k for Racing 92 games, held 100k in a different format for the Rolling Stones.
Basically the wall can move and create varying formats from as few as 5k up to 100k.
This is the CGI (in French) ............. oh and it cost 360 million Euros...... ?

Was going to write that almost word for word . Completely agree ...Reading average in 80's 4k .....if they can get crowds so improved why on earth not us ????
Oxford has a population of about 150K. Reading has a population of around 220K, but in addition they have Wokingham and Bracknell 10 miles down the road who have another 250K residents between them. The ground has obviously made a big difference but as a population centre Reading is about three times the size of Oxford.

Oxford has a population of about 150K. Reading has a population of around 220K, but in addition they have Wokingham and Bracknell 10 miles down the road who have another 250K residents between them. The ground has obviously made a big difference but as a population centre Reading is about three times the size of Oxford.
Or you could look at it that the population of Oxfordshire is around 700,000, the population of Berkshire around 800,000, so not a massive difference.

Had no idea Wokingham was so large until looking at their population following your post. Blimes.

Where are you looking? Wokingham showing 46 k and Bracknell 74 k ....Berkshire 800,000 and Oxon 700,000 with reading and other towns in berks being closer to London than oxon

Where are you looking? Wokingham showing 46 k and Bracknell 74 k ....Berkshire 800,000 and Oxon 700,000 with reading and other towns in berks being closer to London than oxon
Bourough of Wokingham I guess (rather than just the town) so maybe not perfect numbers. Mind you, there's a fair bit of Oxfordshire pretty close to Reading as well!

All this talk of population in reading or Berkshire is higher than Oxfordshire and Oxford respectively is irrelevant. Burnley as a town and area is a lot smaller than Oxford yet there average attendance is more than us and alot of big city clubs. Build the stadium they will come.

All this talk of population in reading or Berkshire is higher than Oxfordshire and Oxford respectively is irrelevant. Burnley as a town and area is a lot smaller than Oxford yet there average attendance is more than us and alot of big city clubs. Build the stadium they will come.
Or they might not. For some reason OUFC hasn’t really captured the imagination of the people of Oxfordshire, with a better ground it might, but there’s no guarantee

Or they might not. For some reason OUFC hasn’t really captured the imagination of the people of Oxfordshire, with a better ground it might, but there’s no guarantee

Reading only gained the extra fans when they built the majeski and got in to the primer league (plastic fans). This would happen to us too, look how much demand there was for the man City game. Aslong as the stadium is built and we are still going upwards not down the leagues then there will be no problem. As for the imagination of Oxfordshire people it's easy to understand, if I wasn't a hardcore fan I wouldnt bother going to the kassam either. Even if a 4th stand is built it still has all the faults of why we hate it so much. It's not fit for purpose in league 1 let alone the championship.

Reading only gained the extra fans when they built the majeski and got in to the primer league (plastic fans). This would happen to us too, look how much demand there was for the man City game. Aslong as the stadium is built and we are still going upwards not down the leagues then there will be no problem. As for the imagination of Oxfordshire people it's easy to understand, if I wasn't a hardcore fan I wouldnt bother going to the kassam either. Even if a 4th stand is built it still has all the faults of why we hate it so much. It's not fit for purpose in league 1 let alone the championship.
Yeah yeah, I expect you’re right, but there would need to be some serious research and planning rather than just assuming people would come. It’s certainly worked for Reading as you say

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom