General Phasing out Heading

As a 6’6” Oldie, my team mates can’t help but assume, despite being told otherwise, that I should be good at heading the ball. I’m not (I’m also s**t at basketball fwiw). When I head the ball, 4 times out of 5 it is a jarring contact. After concussion a few years ago from falling over while ice skating (yes I’m a klutz) I realise that these attempts to head the ball are all a bit damaging.
My son is also tall and also is getting a reputation for being s**t at heading. I’m encouraging him to not bother.
I think football can survive a change like banning headers. The biggest negative impact will be on glancing headers off whipped in crosses, but will stop those full-blooded defensive headers that cause repetitive trauma.

Think we should be banning sliding tackles too. Broken bones and lives destroyed.

Spitting transmits disease.

Goalkeepers can inflict and incur injury when they jump to take a cross.

Players can die from undiagnosed heart conditions on the pitch.

Ban the lot. Stay indoors.

As a 6’6” Oldie, my team mates can’t help but assume, despite being told otherwise, that I should be good at heading the ball. I’m not (I’m also s**t at basketball fwiw). When I head the ball, 4 times out of 5 it is a jarring contact. After concussion a few years ago from falling over while ice skating (yes I’m a klutz) I realise that these attempts to head the ball are all a bit damaging.
My son is also tall and also is getting a reputation for being s**t at heading. I’m encouraging him to not bother.
I think football can survive a change like banning headers. The biggest negative impact will be on glancing headers off whipped in crosses, but will stop those full-blooded defensive headers that cause repetitive trauma.

Didn't realise Ben Futcher posted on here!

The usual suspects will say the usual things, but the trouble is that once something has been found to be dangerous you can’t really just carry on as you were. People used to smoke in shops and doctors surgeries.

I see that in Scotland they are limiting how much heading can be done in training, although once you are an adult pro footballer it does seem a strange skill to practice, then again it is scottish football so maybe not.

The usual suspects will say the usual things, but the trouble is that once something has been found to be dangerous you can’t really just carry on as you were. People used to smoke in shops and doctors surgeries.

Whats the difference between voluntarily heading a football and getting punched or kicked in the head in a combat sport?

Think we should be banning sliding tackles too. Broken bones and lives destroyed.

Spitting transmits disease.

Goalkeepers can inflict and incur injury when they jump to take a cross.

Players can die from undiagnosed heart conditions on the pitch.

Ban the lot. Stay indoors.
Formula 1 drivers have been told to slow down a bit to avoid high speed crashes.

What happens if it’s banned in one country but not another, Scottish teams struggle enough in Europe without having the disadvantage of not being able to head the ball against opponents who can.

We'll have a generation of kids not having the joys of playing Headers and Volleys! At least they'll still have spud guns and riding their Grifters!

We'll have a generation of kids not having the joys of playing Headers and Volleys! At least they'll still have spud guns and riding their Grifters!

What a game that was, volleys doesn’t have quite the same ring to it.

Back
Top Bottom