League One Our Karl

Big Ronaldo

It struck me as I took a little trip around the various rival playoff clubs forums, just how uniformly despised our Karl is.
You would expect that another teams manager would invoke some negativity along with a modicum of respect but it seems that having managed franchise FC is not the only factor that drives their contempt for him.
Moaning, one eyed, fat scouser with a big mouth seems to cover the most salient points, yet I find myself at odds with their assessment.
Your manager should at least be one eyed, especially when interviewed. I also think that most managers sound like they are moaning (especially scousers), because they normally are., prompted by the interviewers questions, they are left with very little room for anything else.
Thinking back to Appleton’s time here, he could, at times be spiky - difficult to like.
I suppose though, once your opinion on someone is made up it’s not going to change easily is it?

I think that if you were an opposition fan he would come over as annoying, especially as his team have probably just beaten you. For an Oxford fan it’s possible to view him as a good coach but an annoying person.

It struck me as I took a little trip around the various rival playoff clubs forums, just how uniformly despised our Karl is.
You would expect that another teams manager would invoke some negativity along with a modicum of respect but it seems that having managed franchise FC is not the only factor that drives their contempt for him.
Moaning, one eyed, fat scouser with a big mouth seems to cover the most salient points, yet I find myself at odds with their assessment.
Your manager should at least be one eyed, especially when interviewed. I also think that most managers sound like they are moaning (especially scousers), because they normally are., prompted by the interviewers questions, they are left with very little room for anything else.
Thinking back to Appleton’s time here, he could, at times be spiky - difficult to like.
I suppose though, once your opinion on someone is made up it’s not going to change easily is it?

I've known he is disliked from before he took us over but I couldn't care less. Imo he has done a good job for us. I did chuckle when Gillingham fans were debating if KR was trying to catch up with Steve Evans in the fat stakes though.

I've had some good discussions with a few Wimbledon fans about KR.

In much the same way that players are inconsistent and therefore fitting of being League 1 quality, KR is much of the same. He’s been a manager at League 1 level for all bar one of this seasons as head coach. It’s kind of reflective of how he is viewed too.

He has his good and bad sides. He’s protective of his team, throws himself into local causes, embraces the fandom behind the club, appears committed to our club model, praises the opposition when it’s due and we play some fairly decent stuff. On the flip side, his post match interviews are all over the place, he can completely overreact, throw stupid accusations at referees (the Sunderland nonsense with Kettle and the headbutt in retrospect is embarrassing), he’s a tactical stick-in-the-mud, says far too much in regards to signings and can come across as totally myopic to his team’s failings (maybe a protective thing?). I prefer the cool, level headedness of MApp but don’t mind KR when he’s not speaking post match when the adrenaline is still pumping for him.

The opposition fans aren’t wrong on his physique though. Svelte 29 year old like he was 10 years ago he isn’t anymore!

Last edited:
Pep Clotet ,now there were post match interviews that had me pulling my hair out, not bothered what other clubs fans think of him but he certainly divides our clubs fans.

Managers are always going to be disliked wether that's other teams fans or the club they are managing fans. Karl is just about alright in my opinion, if he gets us up then he will turn in to legendry status but if we fail in the play offs and another poor start to next season and his time could be up. Who would be a manager lol.

Last edited:
he’s a tactical stick-in-the-mud
Is he? How many games have we won this season, due to the changes that he has made? When it comes to team selection and player availability, we’ve hade our backs against the wall a lot this season. Yes he got it wrong with Sean Clare and should have dropped Eastwood sooner, but in the last 30 odd games (bar the odd one or two), he has got it spot on!

Last edited:
If im being honest, I think this thread is really pointless. We are three days away from the play offs and this just serves as another chance for those that don’t like KR, to come out and voice their negativity. Get behind the manager, and get behind the players! This thread might have been more appropriate in October, but now is not the time..

ROBINSONS YELLOW ARMY!

Last edited:
I've known he is disliked from before he took us over but I couldn't care less. Imo he has done a good job for us. I did chuckle when Gillingham fans were debating if KR was trying to catch up with Steve Evans in the fat stakes though.

I've had some good discussions with a few Wimbledon fans about KR.
Wimbledon fans don’t count. They despise anything and everything that has had a connection to MK. They had a chance to support their club, they didn’t.

Wimbledon fans don’t count. They despise anything and everything that has had a connection to MK. They had a chance to support their club, they didn’t.

It helps when the conversation started from one of them asking what I thought of KR and the discussion developing from that. So we talked about his merits and flaws (as I saw them) rather than the usual rubbish you get from Wimbledon fans when he is mentioned.

If im being honest, I think this thread is really pointless. We are three days away from the play offs and this just serves as another chance for those that don’t like KR, to come out and voice their negativity. Get behind the manager, and the players! This thread might have been more appropriate in October, but now is not the time..

ROBINSONS YELLOW ARMY!

Completely right!

Why not start a thread on Matty Taylor mugging MApp off after the handshake? Or a little revisit of whether Henry should have shot at Wembley? Maybe @Mellowyellow can share his concerns about Jack Stevens and his mistakes at youth level?

In fact, let's bring in the older viewers and talk about Rob Duffy scoring nothing but penalties, Super Kevin Francis and the Chelsea penalty, Matt Murphy in general, Richard Hill against everyone but Wallsall, David Leworthy or anyone else that has slightly annoyed someone!!

3 days before a playoff semi seems the perfect opportunity to start calling people dickheads and bringing the mood down a little!

But then I guess I'm just one of those weird positive types who gets these things wrong!!

3 days before a playoff semi seems the perfect opportunity to start calling people dickheads and bringing the mood down a little!
As you know, a positive outlook doesn’t really wash on this forum mate. Biggest game of the season and we have opened a thread to scrutinise the manager that has taken us to a play off final, and then another play off semi. It’s madness. I really dont understand some people. Of course, everyone is entitled their opinion; i just don’t necessarily agree with them..

With a takeover afoot, this really is a massive moment in the history of our club! Whether you like KR or not, we love Oxford United. Get behind them! Win or lose, up the fookin U’s

Completely right!

Why not start a thread on Matty Taylor mugging MApp off after the handshake? Or a little revisit of whether Henry should have shot at Wembley? Maybe @Mellowyellow can share his concerns about Jack Stevens and his mistakes at youth level?

In fact, let's bring in the older viewers and talk about Rob Duffy scoring nothing but penalties, Super Kevin Francis and the Chelsea penalty, Matt Murphy in general, Richard Hill against everyone but Wallsall, David Leworthy or anyone else that has slightly annoyed someone!!

But then I guess I'm just one of those weird positive types who gets these things wrong!!
Rob Duffy should have scored the winner at home v Exeter in the play offs.
One on one with the keeper with a minute left.
Billy Turley missed a penalty ☹

Rob Duffy should have scored the winner at home v Exeter in the play offs.
One on one with the keeper with a minute left.
Billy Turley missed a penalty ☹

We missed some great chances in that game which was made worse by the fact that I got a lift from an Exeter supporting workmate who spent the entire trip home talking about Wembley!!

A night I'd love to forget about remains a scare on my memory.

It's a thread on why opposition fans seem to unanimously dislike him. You two are too precious.