National Anthems

001 Taxis - 10% discount for forum members

brokeandobscure

I think someone mentioned the Italian National Anthem as unexpectedley rousing prior to the game with Switzerland and wondered what peoples thoughts were. God Save the Queen does it for me, but I know in my heart of hearts it's a bit shite really.

My personal top 5 (pick of the pops music please!):
5 - Germany (obvious overtones but uplifting if you're German none the less).
4 - Italy (love it, but never seems to fire up their rugby team enough to play beyond 60mins)
3 - I'm going to say Australia (I hate hearing it, but it don't half stick in your mind!)
2 - France (a bit militaristic and bloodthirsty but got to love the chorus!)
1 - Wales (despite the fact that most of 'em appear to be tone deaf - this when belted out at a sporting event is the best for me).

An honourable mention to Scotland - like the tune, but you can't keep banging on about one win that happened 700 years ago! Get over it FFS!!

Have always found it a bit annoying that we use God Save the Queen as our national anthem when it's actually the anthem of the UK.

We're playing as England so should have our own anthem (like the Scots and Welsh). Fine to use the UK anthem when we're taking part in the Olympics for example, but not the football for me.

I'd vote for Jerusalem as the English national anthem if we were ever given the choice!

For the far more cleverer people than me will we ( England) change our national anthem when the queen steps down and we get a king or will it be god save the king

For the far more cleverer people than me will we ( England) change our national anthem when the queen steps down and we get a king or will it be god save the king
Prince Harry's production company have outsourced the writing of a new national anthem to the biggest kpop producer in Hollywood so it should be a good one.

Be surprising if all 3 verses ...the full version of god save the queen ....is sung before tonights game...... relatively few actually know the words to the 2nd & 3rd verses - and it would probably offend the Scots too !

*edit ...there may be more than 3 verses
? Its been the national anthem since 1745 or therabouts

Last edited:
Be surprising if all 3 verses ...the full version of god save the queen ....is sung before tonights game...... relatively few actually know the words to the 2nd & 3rd verses - and it would probably offend the Scots too !
"rebellious Scots to crush" isn't it? or something similar

Have always found it a bit annoying that we use God Save the Queen as our national anthem when it's actually the anthem of the UK.

We're playing as England so should have our own anthem (like the Scots and Welsh). Fine to use the UK anthem when we're taking part in the Olympics for example, but not the football for me.

I'd vote for Jerusalem as the English national anthem if we were ever given the choice!
Land of hope and glory

The additional verse was....

"Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
and like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush,
God save the King."

Land of Hope & Glory or Jerusalem for me.

Just off to shag @RyanioBirdio s flag............ its a big one.

The additional verse was....

"Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
and like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush,
God save the King."

Just off to shag @RyanioBirdio s flag............ its a big one.
Ha! I never knew it referenced Wade. I'm actually in Scotland at the moment, not far from the Wade bridge:

Remember an England qualifier in a former Soviet outpost back in the 90s when the brass band played all three verses!
Regarding anthems in general, check out the Uruguayan rugby team!

I always say Jerusalem because for me it's the only song that seems to unite everyone across the political spectrum, and surely that's what an anthem should do! Can see why Land of Hope and Glory is always mentioned, but it's divisive compared to Jerusalem and also its banging on about Britain again, and not England!

Also, it's already effectively the national anthem for when the England cricket team play and it doesn't fail to get the hairs standing up on the back of the neck during the Ashes!

Something along those lines
The Scots cant mind our national anthem having a few contentious words when theirs says;

‘And stood against him
Proud Edward's Army
And sent him homeward tae think again’.

BUT.....Probably best not to discuss these lyrics on here too much though or the more sensitive souls out there in our society might try to change the words because they encourage and glorify violence......😀

Vindaloo would make a cracking anthem for us, better than the dirge that is God save the queen.

The French have the best anthem, you have to give them that, the Russian one is decent to.

Nothing in life is as awful as listening to some bird butcher every note of the Stars and Stripes though, why the US army don’t just send in Beyoncé or whoever to scream that at whichever country they want to invade next is beyond me, have them surrendering in a minute.

Back
Top Bottom