Ex Player Kevin Brock

UTM

We was in a pub not far from Liverpool today , and a Everton pub! Got talking about football . And us saying we are from Oxford UTD , they said they have a love for our club and that is in simple terms because
one of our top players Kevin Brock , and that back pass , they even sing his name! For the chaps not from that time ...

Brock holds a special place in Everton's supporters' folklore: in a League Cup tie against Everton at the Manor Ground in January 1984, Brock's back pass was intercepted by Adrian Heath, who scored a late equaliser; Everton won the replay, and this is viewed as the moment when their fortunes began to improve the club .

Of course I recall the time , but did not know it is such a " folklore " for them , and the fact some of them still look for our results to this day!

Yeah old mate of mine from school used to have an Everton history VHS and that back pass sadly featured quite prominently.

It's a bit like the Mark Robins goal for Man Utd which saved Fergie, it's considered a bit of a key turning point.

Yeah old mate of mine from school used to have an Everton history VHS and that back pass sadly featured quite prominently.

It's a bit like the Mark Robins goal for Man Utd which saved Fergie, it's considered a bit of a key turning point.
Yes , I did not know it meant that much to them.
But we still have the Kevin Brock freekick over Man Utd ....:)

Wasn't it the free kick against Leeds that season that first gave us the Brockbuster headline?

Wasn't it the free kick against Leeds that season that first gave us the Brockbuster headline?

Just looked back and it was his free kick that was pushed out to Vinter to score against Leeds.

The cup run was my first games watching Oxford. Newcastle, Leeds, Man U twice and Everton! Not a bad introduction (plastic!!!)

Howard Kendall would have been sacked if we had beaten them in that round of the league cup. Everton then went on to win league and then the cup winners cup in Europe shortly after, Everton’s whole history would have been changed without that back pass and dare I say it, so was ours as we had potentially the best team ever to wear a yellow shirt and we could have attracted players rather than selling players especially as we were just about to clinch the 2nd division title (championship as of today), we could now be an established premier league club.......
THOSE BLOODY SCOUSERS.......

Howard Kendall would have been sacked if we had beaten them in that round of the league cup. Everton then went on to win league and then the cup winners cup in Europe shortly after, Everton’s whole history would have been changed without that back pass and dare I say it, so was ours as we had potentially the best team ever to wear a yellow shirt and we could have attracted players rather than selling players especially as we were just about to clinch the 2nd division title (championship as of today), we could now be an established premier league club.......
THOSE BLOODY SCOUSERS.......
Wasn't we in the third division that season? It was the 84/85 season that we won what is now the Championship. Also, not sure that we sold anyone of the back of that campaign, more that we brought in the likes of Aldridge and Hamilton instead of Biggins/Vinter.

We were comfortable for the win up until that point as well.

Still, if it hadn't have happened Paul Hinshelwood would never have got his solitary Oxford goal in the replay, and it was a cracker.

I also remember an easter trip to Newcastle, {where the match was cancelled} and talking to some geordies who thought Kevin was their best player that season.

• React
Reactions: UTM
Yes, but the irony was that Everton didn't even win the league cup - lost to Liverpool in the final, although they won the FA cup which was not down to Kevin Brock.
I wonder if they remember Les Phillips with the same amount of affection?

Yes, but the irony was that Everton didn't even win the league cup - lost to Liverpool in the final, although they won the FA cup which was not down to Kevin Brock.
I wonder if they remember Les Phillips with the same amount of affection?
We deserved that win over them, battered them second half, although Lineker did miss a sitter at the Cuckoo Lane end.

• React
Reactions: UTM
Just looked back and it was his free kick that was pushed out to Vinter to score against Leeds.

The cup run was my first games watching Oxford. Newcastle, Leeds, Man U twice and Everton! Not a bad introduction (plastic!!!)
Brocky scored a belter of a free kick in front of the Stretford End at Old Trafford, might be mixing up the 2 but the replay was the famous Steve Biggins header

was this the cup tie/s against them with the famous on the radio flip of a coin for home advantage for the 3rd game/2nd replay?
Yep that's the one. Maxwell won the coin toss so we all came back to The Manor for one of the greatest nights in Manor Ground history.

Back
Top Bottom