HMV administration and decline of CD sales

I met Whispering Bob Harris at a gig in The Bullingdon about 18 months ago and took the opportunity to thank him for introducing me to shitloads of bands over the years from OGWT and his various radio shows. Had my OGWT starkicker T shirt on Too,

Fanboy

Bob Harris lost any respect I ever had for him when he sneered at the New York Dolls as 'mock rock' on OGWT. Showed how little he had his finger on the pulse. Never had any time for him since.

Sunrise records (canada) have bought hmv in the uk

I use Spotify or YouTube to help find new music, if I spot a band mentioned that I haven't heard of, it's easy to listen to a few tracks on these services. For example, in the latest Nightshift, there is a big piece on Kanadia, who I'm seeing in just over a months time. In the article, it mentioned another Oxford band called Leader who I didn't know. Now after getting Spotify on the case, they have a new fan and hopefully another face in the crowd when they play. There are a lot of small bands who you can find on Spotify, it's just knowing where to look. YouTube played this to me the other day...

... Another band I'd never heard of, and now follow.

I've just stumbled over Manchester Orchestra (may well be way behind on everybody else) but for the short time I've been listening I've enjoyed it:

Sunrise records (canada) have bought hmv in the uk
Didn't save FOPP in Oxford which has closed.
Real shame. All of the stock seems to have simply been left there at the moment.

I've just stumbled over Manchester Orchestra (may well be way behind on everybody else) but for the short time I've been listening I've enjoyed it:

First album was amazing. Where Have You Been is stunning.

Did you catch Candy Says? My favourite Oxford band, currently.
Yeah I did, they played a good set. I've been a bit indifferent to them from viewing clips online, but they were great live. Just shows you can't judge a band before you've seen them play live.

Yeah I did, they played a good set. I've been a bit indifferent to them from viewing clips online, but they were great live. Just shows you can't judge a band before you've seen them play live.

Ju was previously in a band called Little Fish. They were the best live band around at the time.

Back
Top Bottom