General Help needed with attendance figure

Chris1963

On Saturday 6th March 1976, I attended the U15 international between England and Northern Ireland (played for the 'Victory Shield') at the Manor Ground. England won 5-0 but I have no attendance figure for this match written down in my records, so can anyone assist? From memory I would say perhaps in the region of 1,000 but this was nearly half a century ago and my most specific memory of the day is of standing behind the Cuckoo Lane goal, rather than trying to estimate the crowd. Was an exact attendance figure ever published anywhere? Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
On Saturday 6th March 1976, I attended the U15 international between England and Northern Ireland (played for the 'Victory Shield') at the Manor Ground. England won 5-0 but I have no attendance figure for this match written down in my records, so can anyone assist? From memory I would say perhaps in the region of 1,000 but this was nearly half a century ago and my most specific memory of the day is of standing behind the Cuckoo Lane end, rather than trying to estimate the crowd. Was an exact attendance figure ever published anywhere? Thanks in advance for any help.
Try contacting Martin Brodetsky at the club. He may be able to help.

Problem solved - the crowd was 2,789 thanks to the Oxford Mail of Monday 08/03/1976, which I looked up on microfilm at the Oxford History Archive in Cowley yesterday while on my way to the match last night. There is also a match report in the following Friday's Oxford Times. which says that the half-time score was 2-0 and that Wayne Clarke (the younger brother of Oxford's Derek Clarke) scored a hat-trick.

Problem solved - the crowd was 2,789 thanks to the Oxford Mail of Monday 08/03/1976, which I looked up on microfilm at the Oxford History Archive in Cowley yesterday while on my way to the match last night. There is also a match report in the following Friday's Oxford Times. which says that the half-time score was 2-0 and that Wayne Clarke (the younger brother of Oxford's Derek Clarke) scored a hat-trick.

I`m glad you got the answer! Thank you.
It was my first match at the Manor with the old man. (y)

We had another of the Clarke brothers play for Oxford United , quite a prolific goalscorer if memory serves?

Back
Top Bottom