Ex Player Gary Davies

I remember him scoring a hat trick in the FA cup final v Arsenal for us in 2000 the last one was a bullet from 72 yards into the top corner, limbs!!!

I remember him scoring a hat trick in the FA cup final v Arsenal for us in 2000 the last one was a bullet from 72 yards into the top corner, limbs!!!
God, the memories. Wasn't the first one a backheel into the corner after that mazy run and cross by Anthony Blackburn?

That's him sat on the bench in front of M & Co in the web link, to be fair he's put some bark on, so some might not recognise him as the former goal machine

you're confusing it with the last minute winner in the champions league the next year when Neil Edmonds got sent off for being too beardy

Ah right, of course. The one where John Peel got booked for kicking that teenager off the ball. I get those games muddled up. Old age I guess.

So the short answer to anybody recognising him will be a 'no' then !

• React
Reactions: m
There's nothing about him on rageonline so he'd have been a youth player at best but not one I can recall.

Rageonline lists Craig Davies, Scott Davies and Rob Davies (whose only appearance was the 3-0 season-opening loss at Barrow).
And of course, there was Liam Davis and Steve Davis.

But no Gary Davies......

Ironically we had a Steve Wright working in the ticket office in 99-00 too..... and all day not just in the afternoon.
If Jamie Brookes nickname was Bruno then we were made.

Just looked on a friends Facebook who’s family used to house first team and younger players around that time and he is listed as a friend so it’s likely he was at Oxford, probably as a youth player.

I've just dug out my copy of the Howlands book "Oxford United the Headington years" and according to that there IS a Gary Davies who was a 1st year trainee (ie first year scholar) in 1996/97 season. For reference, the same intake included Rob folland, Anthony Wright and Simon Weatherstone.
Weatherstone made his first team debut that season and appears to have got a pro deal early, Folland and Wright were given pro deals for the 98/99 season upon graduation, although Wright left during his first season. The other trainees of that generation (incl Davies) were not given deals and moved on....

Thanks guys for for all of you who supplied useful information ! Regards

Back
Top Bottom