Football Special Bus (OX2/OX3/OX7)

Surely if you have a return ticket you should be allowed on first? If any people want a single then the driver would have to say returns on first?

TSurely if you have a return ticket you should be allowed on first? If any people want a single then the driver would have to say returns on first?

That only works on the return journey.

I've seen the bus that serves Didcot, Abingdon and then to the stadium near capacity when it goes down the Oxford road in Abingdon. It would only take a few more people to decide to use the bus and fans would get left behind.

There should be 2 X busses 30 minutes apart and maybe some sort of online booking through an app to guarantee a place (bit like the airport coaches).

I would use the abingdon one if it would arrive 30 minutes earlier to the ground and also return 30 minutes later. Can this be put forwards @OUSP Secretary ?

Might as well ditch the car now and not when our nice shiny stadium is built in north Oxford.

That only works on the return journey.

I've seen the bus that serves Didcot, Abingdon and then to the stadium near capacity when it goes down the Oxford road in Abingdon. It would only take a few more people to decide to use the bus and fans would get left behind.

There should be 2 X busses 30 minutes apart and maybe some sort of online booking through an app to guarantee a place (bit like the airport coaches).

I would use the abingdon one if it would arrive 30 minutes earlier to the ground and also return 30 minutes later. Can this be put forwards @OUSP Secretary ?

Might as well ditch the car now and not when our nice shiny stadium is built in north Oxford.
increase the service ( as in amount of buses), and run it earlier pre match- and leave a bit later post match ( especially with the 'new' time added approach in games) should IMO be considered

The only real answer is for a system to be introduced where people pre-book. Only then will the bus company know the capacity/staff they need to put on. It’s a commercial venture, so they won’t just put extra on and hope for the best.

On a general note, I’ve always thought the buses arrive too late at the stadium. Half and hour earlier would do the trick.

The only real answer is for a system to be introduced where people pre-book. Only then will the bus company know the capacity/staff they need to put on. It’s a commercial venture, so they won’t just put extra on and hope for the best.

On a general note, I’ve always thought the buses arrive too late at the stadium. Half and hour earlier would do the trick.

Agree 100%
Where I now live theres no 'easy' football special bus to the breeze block, where I lived previously ( off Headley Way) there was a bus- which I used a couple of times. Then decided driving suited me better due to the 'late' arrival at the breeze block. Going to Football, home games especially , is a day out. Or should be. - The Chuckle brothers bang on about many things, including improving the match day experience . Lets see if they back up their words with action ( for once!) and sort out bus arrival and departure times . Shant hold my breath , though @OUSP Secretary & @OxVox can you raise this please?

Agree 100%
Where I now live theres no 'easy' football special bus to the breeze block, where I lived previously ( off Headley Way) there was a bus- which I used a couple of times. Then decided driving suited me better due to the 'late' arrival at the breeze block. Going to Football, home games especially , is a day out. Or should be. - The Chuckle brothers bang on about many things, including improving the match day experience . Lets see if they back up their words with action ( for once!) and sort out bus arrival and departure times . Shant hold my breath , though @OUSP Secretary & @OxVox can you raise this please?
In fairness to our management, is the timetable theirs to sort out? Surely, it will be up to the bus operator.

In fairness to our management, is the timetable theirs to sort out? Surely, it will be up to the bus operator.
i wouldve thought they discuss these sort of things with the bus operator, and if they don't, they damn well should do

Let's not beat on about arrival and departure times; the real issue is capacity
Was at Botley 2 05 and told bus full.

20 + people stranded.

What actions are being considered for this week or do we wait until 2.05 to discover our fate

As another regular bus user, I wanted to provide an alternative opinion. I think the bus times are perfect (I catch the OX7) and would not want it to arrive at the stadium any earlier than it does. I would also strongly oppose any attempt to introduce pre-booking, it would definitely stop me and others from using it as regularly as we do (especially if it was dependant on an app as I do not have a smart phone). One of the good things about it is the ability to make a last minute decision on whether to catch it (incidentally I use it more often than not).

The main issue seems to be capacity, just run more buses! In the past when we have expected big crowds then extra buses have been put on. If it's the case that the OX2 was at capacity and had to turn people away, then that means we need to run another bus on that line. If the club continues to do well on the pitch, this will only happen more often, so the club needs to work with the bus company to ensure there are enough buses put on, as they have always managed to do in the past.

As another regular bus user, I wanted to provide an alternative opinion. I think the bus times are perfect (I catch the OX7) and would not want it to arrive at the stadium any earlier than it does. I would also strongly oppose any attempt to introduce pre-booking, it would definitely stop me and others from using it as regularly as we do (especially if it was dependant on an app as I do not have a smart phone). One of the good things about it is the ability to make a last minute decision on whether to catch it (incidentally I use it more often than not).

The main issue seems to be capacity, just run more buses! In the past when we have expected big crowds then extra buses have been put on. If it's the case that the OX2 was at capacity and had to turn people away, then that means we need to run another bus on that line. If the club continues to do well on the pitch, this will only happen more often, so the club needs to work with the bus company to ensure there are enough buses put on, as they have always managed to do in the past.
Playing Devil’s advocate, what you’re saying is that you expect a place on this bus, even though you want to wait until the last moment to decide if you will use it and, should it be full, it is the fault of the bus company for not reading your mind.

Sounds fair.

Playing Devil’s advocate, what you’re saying is that you expect a place on this bus, even though you want to wait until the last moment to decide if you will use it and, should it be full, it is the fault of the bus company for not reading your mind.

Sounds fair.
Yep, like every other public transport in the country that we have, and like how the football special buses have successfully run for many seasons now. Not controversial in the slightest I would have thought?

me neither

agree re club needing to engage with bus companies, asap too

Yep, like every other public transport in the country that we have, and like how the football special buses have successfully run for many seasons now. Not controversial in the slightest I would have thought?
In what way is leaving 20+ people at a bus stop at 2:05pm 'successful'?

In what way is leaving 20+ people at a bus stop at 2:05pm 'successful'?

That's my point, it's been successful up until now. Clearly something has gone wrong with not enough buses being run. Can't say with certainty that people being stranded at the bus stop has never happened before, but I certainly remember in the past there being an extra bus being put on for the route I use when a big crowd was expected, so that all fans can make it to the game. The question is why weren't more buses ran for the Charlton game if 20+ people were stranded? Only the club can answer that. So maybe @OUSP Secretary and @OxVox can comment?

• React
Reactions: QR
I do also have a vague recollection of the bus just simply not turning up at all for one game a few years ago, so it's definitely not been without hitches, but I've used it regularly for a number of years now, and overall I'd say it's a successful service.

There should be an option to pre book by an app but it shouldn't be the one way to get on the bus. This would give an indication to the bus company how many intend to use it.

Extra buses have been on in the past for very high attendances, but not generally for the level of last week's match. Getting additional buses is not something that can be done in an instant, especially with the current driver shortage.
Whether the numbers last week are a one-off or indicate a shift in travel for this number of fans is hard to guage at this stage, buy if it is a trend then the buses may need further review. I know the club monitors bus use, and I'm waiting to hear back from them.
Meanwhile, if anyone here was directly affected last Saturday could you pm me to let me know what happened.

@OUSP Secretary

I don't need to pm you as I have already documented what happened for the Charlton game.

Please see within this thread.

To be honest people will not wait for a delayed reaction and will be already making alternative arrangements

@OUSP Secretary

I don't need to pm you as I have already documented what happened for the Charlton game.

Please see within this thread.

To be honest people will not wait for a delayed reaction and will be already making alternative arrangements
How did u get to the match in the end?

Back
Top Bottom