General February to End of Season Squad Lists Published

that really isnt good reading - thats 5 light in the squad + 4 of them out injured
Isnt it 5 currently injured?
Baldock, Brannagan, Browne, Henry, Gorrin.

Plus Murphy who can be injured/not up for it from match to match.
Then Smyth out of favour, and it seems Findlay too.

That leaves 9 senior outfield players.

Bodin went off injured in the last match, it’s all gone a bit quiet since…

That’s because we overpay on players wages & transfer fees for what they’re actually bringing to the club.

Oh absolutely, I don't doubt that for a second.

Still doesn't look even close to adding up for me though.

Whats the point going over old ground. The board dont seem to give a damn, as long as they can see some still supporting him, hence holding the club back. Tuesday should be Independence" if egg is to be believed, so lets wait until the excuses, usual rubbish comes from his mouth then.
It's certainly long overdue

Whats the point going over old ground. The board dont seem to give a damn, as long as they can see some still supporting him, hence holding the club back. Tuesday should be Independence" if egg is to be believed, so lets wait until the excuses, usual rubbish comes from his mouth then.

Why do you think not sacking KR has anything to do with "some still supporting him"?

If ever the phrase "Bring your boots you might get a game" was apt..................

It’s astonishing what’s occurred. The squad that finished last season wasn’t the the best KR team assembled since he’s been here but had enough of a spine there to build around.

How the hell have we come to having 17 senior players in it?

2 of which aren’t our own. We can just about field a 5-aside team. Utter utter disgrace.

On a more cheerful note talking of a 5 aside team, anyone remember when we won the Daily Express 5 aside at Wembley in 1985. That was a decent night out.

We can sign free agents but those players if they did come in need to be game ready .We can't get some of our own game ready .Baldock, Browne, cam, Henry and Murphy.

There must be few kicking a ball about down the local rec we could tap up…

Former Leicester City team-mates, defender Danny Simpson, 36, and ex-England midfielder Danny Drinkwater, 32, are among a group of unemployed footballers organising kick-abouts to keep fit. (Telegraph - subscription required)

There must be few kicking a ball about down the local rec we could tap up…

Former Leicester City team-mates, defender Danny Simpson, 36, and ex-England midfielder Danny Drinkwater, 32, are among a group of unemployed footballers organising kick-abouts to keep fit. (Telegraph - subscription required)
Jailbroken link for that article...

I can only compare with Union Berlin, the only other team I follow closely and know the ins and outs of the squad.
23 players who are not goalkeepers or under-21. Two of those 23 are sitting out their contracts and haven't played a minute this season or the second half of last season. Let's say 21 senior outfield pros, then.

In their rise to second in the Bundesliga and long time earlier at the top of the table above Bayern, Dortmund and anyone else I can say the following:

A system (5-3-2 with one striker and one man in the hole) that is played week in, week out.
Tailored back-up in every (and I mean every) position...five CBs with different specialities, two RB, two LB (one of whom can play both wings equally as well). Two midfield stoppers, at least two box-to-box midfielders, at least three attacking midfielders/forwards capable of playing in the hole or out wide. Two pure attacking wingers with lightning pace. Two out and out strikers (both physical, one more of a ball player).

It really is fantastic to see week in week out. When a sub comes on and you know he'll do the things well, or you can rotate as many as 4 or 5 players out and feasibly not be weakened to any great extent.

I mean you look at our squad and are there actually any players (proper first team senior pros who are not currently injured or mysteriously unavailable) not in the first 11 or on the bench? Smyth maybe?

OUFC needs more than "Sam Long can play CB, LB and RB" to get anywhere in this league.

Back
Top Bottom