Fan's View Fan's View 22/23 - No.4 - Swansea at hone

Thanks Paul
The draw is a North/South thing, normally there is a strange wonky line deciding who is north or south.
I think Leicester, Forest and the Birmingham teams (Villa, Wolves, Birmingham) are all north, but Norwich could be South!
So not a great selection of potential good away trips, Brentford's new ground would be good, otherwise Southampton & Brighton but the chance is some awful trip like Gills away.

Little has been said about how good Gorrin’s penalty was in the circumstances. I’m a great fan; he gets his criticism and he makes the odd mistake but most of his good work goes unnoticed. OK, he’s still rusty but who wouldn’t be after what he’s gone through? A fully functioning Gorrin will be vital to our chances of beating the better teams this year.

Got to say - given the size of squads that PL have , and yes, being PL sides technically the question should they be 'allowed' to enter a EFL - League Cup- competition arises, negated by PL youth teams in the pizza trophy- personally, I don't think that any PL club should be able to 'opt out' of the competition just because they've qualified for European club competions- I think, they, PL clubs, are ALL included , or none of them are included- FA should grow a pair IMO.... PL squads are huge in comparison to L1 & L2 sides, is it that hard for them to field a team of expensive, highly paid, bench warmers who would probably welcome a competitive match or three in the League cup as they're unlikely to get many minutes otherwise?

Little has been said about how good Gorrin’s penalty was in the circumstances. I’m a great fan; he gets his criticism and he makes the odd mistake but most of his good work goes unnoticed. OK, he’s still rusty but who wouldn’t be after what he’s gone through? A fully functioning Gorrin will be vital to our chances of beating the better teams this year.

It was hard not to be too critical of Gorrin on Tuesday as his passing was atrocious but hopefully he’ll be match ready soon and have a bit more confidence on the ball as I agree they’ll be games this season where Gorrin is vital. Not necessarily the better teams mind you.

I actually think McGuanes ability on the ball could see him playing in the prem, if he can improve his vision and passing range, perform consistently and generally step up this season I could see him going for big bucks!

Got to say - given the size of squads that PL have , and yes, being PL sides technically the question should they be 'allowed' to enter a EFL - League Cup- competition arises, negated by PL youth teams in the pizza trophy- personally, I don't think that any PL club should be able to 'opt out' of the competition just because they've qualified for European club competions- I think, they, PL clubs, are ALL included , or none of them are included- FA should grow a pair IMO.... PL squads are huge in comparison to L1 & L2 sides, is it that hard for them to field a team of expensive, highly paid, bench warmers who would probably welcome a competitive match or three in the League cup as they're unlikely to get many minutes otherwise?

All PL clubs are included, some just enter a round later.

Thanks Paul
The draw is a North/South thing, normally there is a strange wonky line deciding who is north or south.
I think Leicester, Forest and the Birmingham teams (Villa, Wolves, Birmingham) are all north, but Norwich could be South!
So not a great selection of potential good away trips, Brentford's new ground would be good, otherwise Southampton & Brighton but the chance is some awful trip like Gills away.
Yes, I wrongly thought it was only the first round that was regionalised.

Paul is 100 per cent correct about the wall we put up from which Swansea scored from the free-kick. The
video from the East Stand end shows how detached Gorrin was and the opening Jay Fulton had to find the bottom corner of Ed McGinty’s goal.
It was poor.

Paul is 100 per cent correct about the wall we put up from which Swansea scored from the free-kick. The
video from the East Stand end shows how detached Gorrin was and the opening Jay Fulton had to find the bottom corner of Ed McGinty’s goal.
It was poor.

No, I'm not sure you can criticise the position of the wall. From the video above...
1660289620142.png
...you can see the wall is lined up to protect the left-hand post as we look. McGinty has taken a position right of center to protect the other post. Switching to 'TV View' you can see this clearly...
1660289733055.png

Gorrin is the 'charger', not part of the wall. Unfortunately he fails to make the block, and probably blocks the view of McGinty as the ball passes him...

1660289838253.png

...who is then beaten by the pace of the shot despite appearing to be in a good position.

The problem we had was the free-kick was very central. If we'd moved the wall across to protect the other post, Swansea would probably have shot for the near post instead.

No, I'm not sure you can criticise the position of the wall. From the video above...
View attachment 9749
...you can see the wall is lined up to protect the left-hand post as we look. McGinty has taken a position right of center to protect the other post. Switching to 'TV View' you can see this clearly...
View attachment 9750

Gorrin is the 'charger', not part of the wall. Unfortunately he fails to make the block, and probably blocks the view of McGinty as the ball passes him...

View attachment 9751

...who is then beaten by the pace of the shot despite appearing to be in a good position.

The problem we had was the free-kick was very central. If we'd moved the wall across to protect the other post, Swansea would probably have shot for the near post instead.
Good points but I honestly still think we got it wrong. Was convinced they would score how they did at the time and said so to my family before it was taken.
Personally I'm not sure a "charger" is much use from 10 yards away. Blocks the keeper's view and increases the likelihood of a deflection giving him no chance.
Or perhaps knowing where we wanted them to put the ball it was McGinty's job to keep it out.
Anyway it was no doubt something they'd worked on in training and will be doing so again.

Normally one thinks 18 (+a little bit) yards out is too close to the goal to get it "up and over" or curled round the wall. The ball seemed to go in so easily there was obviously something wrong with the set up of the wall/goalies position.
Initially we seem to have 5 in the wall + Gorrin (charging) + McGuane to the side not marking anyone (This doesn't seem right)
In the last photo when they take the shot the wall appears to have been reduced to 4!! Where has the 5th player gone?
I think we should have had 7 in the wall, 1 player to the left and 2 to the right.

Initially we seem to have 5 in the wall + Gorrin (charging) + McGuane to the side not marking anyone (This doesn't seem right)
In the last photo when they take the shot the wall appears to have been reduced to 4!! Where has the 5th player gone?
That's a great spot! I of course had to go back and investigate. Without wanting to blow your mind completely, when the ball hits the back of the net the 5th player has miraculously reappeared...
1660310201103.png

But fear not, you aren't going mad. If you watch closely on the video, Henry is on the far right as we look. When the Swans player shoots, the other 4 members of the wall jump whereas Henry stays rooted to the spot, obscured from view by the leaping wall.

That's a great spot! I of course had to go back and investigate. Without wanting to blow your mind completely, when the ball hits the back of the net the 5th player has miraculously reappeared...
View attachment 9762

But fear not, you aren't going mad. If you watch closely on the video, Henry is on the far right as we look. When the Swans player shoots, the other 4 members of the wall jump whereas Henry stays rooted to the spot, obscured from view by the leaping wall.

So it was Mr Henry on the football pitch with the candlestick?

View attachment 9762

You take your job far too seriously.

Back
Top Bottom