Fan's View Fan's View 22/23 - No.28 - FA Cup Rd 3 - Arsenal at home

Thanks Paul, a great report and fair assessment of all things as usual. As we look ahead to each Oxford match, and all things emanating from it, there is only one thing we can always rely on to be consistent top quality, week in, week out .. and that is your FV. Keep going lad.
I was very disappointed with the attitude of the Arsenal players, in addition to the sllooowwwww walk back to centre after the goals, the moaning to ref re the non-penalty (For which they have been charged with failing to control their players) in the first half, one of their players, Saka?, feigning injury when we had the ball, we kicked it out and he suddenly recovered even without the trainer coming on.
Then, those shirts. Could you see the numbers on the back? Their kit looked a bit naff, it would have been much better if they wore their traditional red first kit. I understand it was some statement or something to do about knife crime in London, which is obviously a worthy cause to do something about but surely it would be more effective if the players went round the local schools talking to the kids rather than wearing some odd white shirt that without clear visible numbers must contradict some rule (but I can't find it)

If you do get around to watching the recording, I would recommend the half hour build up, skip to the half time remarks and then switch off! Interesting to get the feedback of reasonable pundits although they both thought a penalty would have been given for Moore falling on the ground and having the ball strike his arm if, there had been VAR. Rather pleasing that subsequently Arsenal have been pulled up by the FA for their players reaction and to surrounding the ref. Bless 'em! Poor little Premiership boys not getting their own way.
I left with a feeling of disappointment and, like yourself @Paul B , the notion that Matty's days as a striker are very much numbered.
Oh well, back to the league. Enjoy Fleetwood, we'll be at Wycombe and have invited brother and new lady to the Ipswich game - he's not expecting very much, well, not from the footy. He is expecting a decent meal and a selection from our wine rack! He'd better behave himself!

Thanks Paul, a great report and fair assessment of all things as usual. As we look ahead to each Oxford match, and all things emanating from it, there is only one thing we can always rely on to be consistent top quality, week in, week out .. and that is your FV. Keep going lad.
I was very disappointed with the attitude of the Arsenal players, in addition to the sllooowwwww walk back to centre after the goals, the moaning to ref re the non-penalty (For which they have been charged with failing to control their players) in the first half, one of their players, Saka?, feigning injury when we had the ball, we kicked it out and he suddenly recovered even without the trainer coming on.
Then, those shirts. Could you see the numbers on the back? Their kit looked a bit naff, it would have been much better if they wore their traditional red first kit. I understand it was some statement or something to do about knife crime in London, which is obviously a worthy cause to do something about but surely it would be more effective if the players went round the local schools talking to the kids rather than wearing some odd white shirt that without clear visible numbers must contradict some rule (but I can't find it)
I was disappointed with Arsenal too. Obviously they did enough to win easily in the end and the goals were brilliantly taken but I didn’t like their attitude and didn’t go away feeling impressed in the way I was by Man City and Palace.

If Arsenal have been charged with not controlling their players during the match BUT the referee did not book any of their players. The more you think about this .... this is a crazy contradiction in terms. What does this say about the ref?
The FA obviously feel the players were out of order but then surely they have to examine why didn't the ref book any of the players in the melee the FA are referring to.
Also the ref should have booked the last Arsenal player to get back in his half following the first goal, it took nearly 2 minutes, then another booking following the second goal and third. Effectively he was too scared to book a premiership player he is going to ref in the forthcoming weeks.
The ref was Mr Coote, he was the chap who reffed our first leg SF play off game v Rushden & Diamonds in 2010 and failed to award a foul against R&D in the run up to their equaliser.
Moan over, I need a beer.

At least you went, I couldn’t even be bothered to do that. Can’t wait for this crap season to end to be honest.

Let's face it, we were never going to even draw. There was some very hard work and absolutely no lack of effort. Arsenal were indisciplined in the first half and unusually sloppy. But, rather than exploiting this, Oxford did what they do best, capitulated. Nketiah, Martinelli and Saka scared and outplayed them. Bring on Zinchenko and it's goodnight vienna. Vierra and Elnenny had already raised the bar. and Oxford already looked defeated. Arsenal did not play their best, thankully. Oxford had no chance of scoring and Taylor is no threat whatsoever.
Boring and completely predictable with the only saving grace of Anderson.

Let's face it, we were never going to even draw. There was some very hard work and absolutely no lack of effort. Arsenal were indisciplined in the first half and unusually sloppy. But, rather than exploiting this, Oxford did what they do best, capitulated. Nketiah, Martinelli and Saka scared and outplayed them. Bring on Zinchenko and it's goodnight vienna. Vierra and Elnenny had already raised the bar. and Oxford already looked defeated. Arsenal did not play their best, thankully. Oxford had no chance of scoring and Taylor is no threat whatsoever.
Wow , amazing take on the game.
I do despair at times . Scared of Saka , Martinelli and Nketiah...actually kept them remarkably quiet for an hour and they had to bring on £30 million Zinchencko on !

You found it boring? I don’t think many did.

You found it boring? I don’t think many did.

It was boring if you compared it to Oxford of a couple of years ago so depends how he sees us.

It was decent for 60 minutes if you factor in we are a bang average, borderline poor League 1 side. Not what we once was. Some may find that hard to accept with our budget & expectations.

There is the issue.

Boring might be a very subjective word to use, and I think I should have said that the lack of any meaningful attack was boring. This is because it's typical of Oxford this season. Admittedly the first hour or so was a good effort, and Arsenal aren't top of the prem through luck. But, even they looked disorganised for that first half.

The game went how I expected really e.g. virtually non eventful from our perspective, but once they scored it was a matter of how many with us not likely to score, so game over.

Yes, we nullified/contained them for 60+ mins, but offered nothing really going forward.

Boring might be a very subjective word to use, and I think I should have said that the lack of any meaningful attack was boring. This is because it's typical of Oxford this season. Admittedly the first hour or so was a good effort, and Arsenal aren't top of the prem through luck. But, even they looked disorganised for that first half.
Probably fairly dull for a neutral, but I found it absorbing

The ref was Mr Coote, he was the chap who reffed our first leg SF play off game v Rushden & Diamonds in 2010 and failed to award a foul against R&D in the run up to their equaliser.

I’m STILL a bit annoyed about that.

Compare this game to the other big games we‘ve had recently. Man City and Newcastle where we were beaten but put up a much better fight and actually attacked.
But as you say Paul, hard to attack without a forward line

It was boring if you compared it to Oxford of a couple of years ago so depends how he sees us.

It was decent for 60 minutes if you factor in we are a bang average, borderline poor League 1 side. Not what we once was. Some may find that hard to accept with our budget & expectations.

There is the issue.
Oh god yes, that's exactly right, we are a bang average borderline poor League 1 side. So depressing that there seems no prospect of changing.

Just watched the recording of the game, and feel we did much better than watching it live.
First goal - I think Anderson could have done more with his "attempt" at a header. A more determined jump he could, being on edge of 6 yard box, got his head to the ball before it got to the Arsenal man.

Back
Top Bottom