Fan's View Fan's View 21/22 - No.25 - Milton Keynes away

Ah this shithousery (spell check doesn't like this word!) stuff, I still can't work out if the refs are totally naïve and oblivious to the fact they are being conned and they need to wise up.
The first incident was in first half around 40 minutes, just when we were getting momentum, the MK left CB went down with (allegedly) a knock, their goalie had ball in his hands but the MK player was on the floor, so ref indicated to the goalie to hang on a minute. Ref went to speak to player, put flat hand up to trainer, indicating don't come on pitch, after 30 seconds, yes player is OK (no surprise there) then the ref had to go to goalie, take ball and do a drop ball, that is after another 15 seconds telling him, I guess about the drop ball. So defender has won by wasting about a minute.
When that MK defender dived by the corner flag, the ref may (give him the benefit of doubt?!? probably not) have been blinded by players in way, if so he should not have guessed but glanced over to the linesman who would be looking straight across the pitch and a clear view whether Holland had pushed him in the back or not.
Really it has got to the stage whereby the refs must play on more when a player is injured and perhaps change the rules and let the trainer come on and treat the player whilst play continues. I'm sure there would be a few miracle quick recoveries.

There were times during the match yesterday when watching various players crumpled on the ground, throw-ins taking an age, substitutions sort of happening, etc etc etc I was wondering how much actual football we were getting in the 90 minutes. I do sometimes wonder if we wouldn't be better with (for example) two 30 minute halves but with a clock that stops for injuries, substitutions, goal kicks etc. I bet we would actually see more action, and it would get rid of the time-wasting antics that are blighting the game more and more...

I think there’s a difference between shithousery and gamesmanship.

First is winding up the opposition , perhaps to get a reaction and a booking. Thinking back to Chris Maguire. The dive into the goal after a gk went the wrong way for a penalty. Wiping his eyes after we scored at swindon.

Gamesmanship is different and has many facets. The fake injuries , taking too long for subs , slight taps the balls away at a free kick, etc.

Makes a change for us to be accused of shithousery but why not.
Good report Paul

I think there’s a difference between shithousery and gamesmanship.

First is winding up the opposition , perhaps to get a reaction and a booking. Thinking back to Chris Maguire. The dive into the goal after a gk went the wrong way for a penalty. Wiping his eyes after we scored at swindon.

Gamesmanship is different and has many facets. The fake injuries , taking too long for subs , slight taps the balls away at a free kick, etc.
Yes, I agree- the former is fun / annoying depending what side you’re on, the second is basically cheating and is what Wycombe do. You can be canny with game management without resorting to that.

Perhaps there are (at least three) parts to it

Shithousery - winding up the opposition to get a reaction
Gamesmanship - fake injuries and whatever Graham Westley used to do.
Game management - playing the last minute into the corner , making late Subs

Perhaps there are (at least three) parts to it

Shithousery - winding up the opposition to get a reaction
Gamesmanship - fake injuries and whatever Graham Westley used to do.
Game management - playing the last minute into the corner , making late Subs
Absolutely that Mark. Indeed I nearly went down this route. Could have written a whole article on it. When Cass was around I'd certainly never heard of the term. In fact only recently became aware. Going on years though whatever it was called. More so now though. This is very much a current football debate. Who will be the first person to ring in to "wasn't at the game" and say "I'd like to say how good we were at shithousery"? Or 606.

Absolutely that Mark. Indeed I nearly went down this route. Could have written a whole article on it. When Cass was around I'd certainly never heard of the term. In fact only recently became aware. Going on years though whatever it was called. More so now though. This is very much a current football debate. Who will be the first person to ring in to "wasn't at the game" and say "I'd like to say how good we were at shithousery"? Or 606.
It looks like we are now getting a bit of a reputation for game management and gamesmanship, particularly after dragging out that last 15 minutes at Ipswich away. Once you notice it, it becomes more and more obvious, and at some point I guess the referees and assistants will have us marked down for it. Hopefully if we are winning games by two goals there will be less need for it, as I've always wanted us to play the game "the right way".

t looks like we are now getting a bit of a reputation for game management and gamesmanship, particularly after dragging out that last 15 minutes at Ipswich away. Once you notice it, it becomes more and more obvious, and at some point I guess the referees and assistants will have us marked down for it. Hopefully if we are winning games by two goals there will be less need for it, as I've always wanted us to play the game "the right way".

Having a reputation for this for plenty of years hasn't hurt Wycombe with Refs and Assistants.

While I agree I want us to play 'the right way', a bit of shithousery to manage the game towards the end is fine with me. Blackpool did it last season as have most teams who got promoted in recent years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom