Home Match Day Thread +++ FAC 4th Replay - OUFC v Newcastle United MDT +++

So proud of being an Oxford supporter after that performance. Feeling absolutely knackered from all the cheering and singing (yes we were singing in the SSU)
Coming back to 2-2 was just superb, so close to getting more from the game.

As for the officials, Premiership level? Don't think so. The second goal should never have stood after the clear foul on Browne in the build up.

Anyway, onto the league and the promotion chase. COYYs!!

Just fantastic. We were quite muted for 70 minutes but the substitution seemed to change things, I’m not enough of a student of the game to know why but Kelly looks a player. Sykes, fantastic, and Agyei deserves a chance. Mackie played a part as well, I’m tired of all the bitching about him.

So proud of being an Oxford supporter after that performance. Feeling absolutely knackered from all the cheering and singing (yes we were singing in the SSU)
Coming back to 2-2 was just superb, so close to getting more from the game.

As for the officials, Premiership level? Don't think so. The second goal should never have stood after the clear foul on Browne in the build up.

Anyway, onto the league and the promotion chase. COYYs!!
How many fouls did Longstaff get away without getting booked? Too many

Sykes and Ruffels in particular were class. Kelly, Thorne, Agyei and Holland all looked good and will be very important in the run in.

As for the Referee. Absolutely cock eyed, biased and terrible. Stop playing for the cameras you short assed mug - not good enough for VAR

He was so blatantly one of those refs who will give the prem team everything, I think the moment he helped the Newcastle player up after he dived then put his hand out to the ref to pick him up in the second half confirmed he was more servant than match official, we were only ever going to get the blatant stuff he couldn’t not give.

Sykes was my man of the match followed by Dickie, Sykes best game today and he has some engine on him, quick feet as well, looks a player who could thrive during this busy month and will hopefully step up now. Moore’s best game for us as well.

We showed real heart, took a mid table prem team 200 minutes to best us, I reckon if we had another couple of hundred million quid a season coming in we would beat them comfortably.

Well, you know that sometimes he wears mismatched socks, and Karl just can't stand that. So, even though Dan is clearly a match winner and all-round brilliant player, Karl prefers to let those socks get in the way. We won't get promoted, as a result, but he just has a thing about mismatched socks. Oh, and he might just see Dan in training now and again. Not that that has anything to do with it. It's those bloody mismatched socks.

EDIT: My comment is, of course, directed at our brilliant "starlite" above, who happens to know about Karl's utterly mystifying thing against mismatched socks.
Robbo out! Clearly knows nothing.

So proud of the team tonight.
When we equalised, I really thought the roof was going to come off the JS stand.
They all had to dig deep as Newcastle tried to bring their A game with them tonight.
Fair enough, a great goal won it for them in the end but we pushed them way further what they wanted.

While everyone played their part, special mention must go to Long Ruffels and Moore.
For me though, two players stood out.
Sykes was, at times, unplayable, he was that good, but Dickie was a colossus. He was our rock at the back. A fine display that was well worth the man of the match award.

So this was a fantastic watch on tv and although the commentators did their normal patronizing thing on espn by the end they only had praise for team and fans.

1. Kelly if he loses some weight is an ability find. He was pretty average to start with but grew into the game and was a Brannagan style quarterback by the end. Set pieces look like they could be a game changer for our corners. kick was sublime.

2. Ruffels and Long were machines. Sure they made some mistakes but Newcastle were stretching the width first half with 3-5-2 and so they did great to cover the overlap.

3. Mixed feelings about the center backs: some epic defending but omg Dickies pace will get shown up massively in the leagues above. He was running through mud. Also two of the geordies goals came on the edge of the area with four defenders turning their backs on shots and dummy shots rather than bodies on the line

4. Holland went from anonymous to sublime. Browne went from sublime to tired. Both real talents if we can get them buzzing at the same time.

5. Their first goal. Personally I can see whyit wasn’t given but equally it’s the sort of foul that is given as routine these days so we can feel a little, bit not completely, aggrieved.

6.The fans. You did a great job. From the surfer through the the roar throughout the game it came across really well and the commentators recognized that. Particular mention that as a set of fans we appealed for everything ...,which I think was an insult but we should take as a compliment as it influences refs.

7.Once we got our confidence up we played our natural game and it was a delight to watch. We were way more football intelligent than nufc and it was absolute total control total football

8. Unpopular opinion but Almiron , punchable face , but he didn’t dive in the area, Dickie caught him inadvertently. It wasnt cheating, ref called it correctly and it shouldn’t have been a yellow either

9. Echo Tony w that their Centre back lascelles kept them in it and was immense: Those longstaffs looked ok but not great . Joelinton wasuseless but interestingly they lost all shape once he went off. The reverse of when Mackie went off and we became way more of a threat . I like the guy but he gives away too many free kicks and we were lucky he didn’t cost us a goal with one foul after ruffles just missed

Four games v PL teams and we come out 7-6 on aggregate. That’s a fantastic effort both offensively and defensively.

Really proud of the team tonight and in all our cup games. It’s been a really enjoyable season and still so much to play for with so many massive matches coming up.

Not at our best.
Missed Henry and Brannagan isvstill not quite fit.
But boy under Robinson the team has so much heart.
Dickie was caught out for their second , but generally has looked calm and unphased against the 3 PL teams he has come up against.
Sykes seems also to play better against the top sides. He has come on leaps and bounds.
Amazed at some oc the comments on here about Kelly after he came on ( overweight and not a footballer??) To me he looked a good footballer and a cracking goal.
I am worried that the Cup runs will take it out of us too much.

Not at our best.
Missed Henry and Brannagan isvstill not quite fit.
But boy under Robinson the team has so much heart.
Dickie was caught out for their second , but generally has looked calm and unphased against the 3 PL teams he has come up against.
Sykes seems also to play better against the top sides. He has come on leaps and bounds.
Amazed at some oc the comments on here about Kelly after he came on ( overweight and not a footballer??) To me he looked a good footballer and a cracking goal.
I am worried that the Cup runs will take it out of us too much.
We could probably just knock off totally now, it’s been a great season and we’ve probably got enough points to stay up. But we can carry on and can still sneak into the playoffs! The performance of the subs gives me hope that we do have enough depth.

Sykes and Ruffels in particular were class. Kelly, Thorne, Agyei and Holland all looked good and will be very important in the run in.

Don’t think Thorne looked that great, very unfit which is expected. Needs 5-10 games to get to any match fitness to be a real contender.

Just a shame Skyes held on to the ball a bit too long in the corner, should have laid it back to Ruffels or inside to Holland, but can’t blame him as he was my MOTM.

Last edited:
I thought Thorne played two or three really incisive passes. He undoubtedly offers something a bit different to a lot of our midfielders. We tend to play a lot of passes across the pitch, stretching the play, but he can spot that less obvious forward pass into feet. He looks heavy but a fit Thorne will be a tremendous asset.

Back
Top Bottom