Non-League Drinking

The authorities really need to change their mindset about football fans.

I enjoy watching Rugby too. I went to the big bash at Twickenham a few months back and watched Harlequins v Exeter in both female and male forms. There was live music in between the matches and could drink throughout. A really good atmosphere and a day out.
I recall drinking a can of beer outside of Walsall stadium a few years back and was advised to tip it away otherwise the stewards would refuse entry. It was my first drink.

I think it’s time alcohol was allowed to be drunk whilst watching the game. It’s archaic that we can’t. Not all football fans are drunken yobs and we shouldn’t be labelled as such.

The authorities really need to change their mindset about football fans.

I enjoy watching Rugby too. I went to the big bash at Twickenham a few months back and watched Harlequins v Exeter in both female and male forms. There was live music in between the matches and could drink throughout. A really good atmosphere and a day out.
I recall drinking a can of beer outside of Walsall stadium a few years back and was advised to tip it away otherwise the stewards would refuse entry. It was my first drink.

I think it’s time alcohol was allowed to be drunk whilst watching the game. It’s archaic that we can’t. Not all football fans are drunken yobs and we shouldn’t be labelled as such.

I was at the game, walking out of the toilet as I was leaving after the ground there was a young lad being held up by two mates puking in the concourse, if that was a football fan he would probably have been arrested for drunk and disorderly.

I wonder what it will take for those in authority to change the collective mindset?

Ergo - I can go to Welford Road, stand on a terrace and watch the game with a beer in hand.

Go a few hundred yards to the King Power and get treated like persona non grata because of what exactly?

History? Class? Income? 🤷‍♂️

I think it's got to be history more than anything else.....

.....because it's not just rugby. You go to the cricket, and a vast amount is drunk over the course of the day. And I think I read somewhere that at the darts, they average sales of 10 pints per person in many WC sessions? And it's not as if it's a bunch of lords and ladies turning up to watch the arrows!

It's still historic, collective punishment of all football fans for the worst excesses of hooliganism in the 70s and 80s. And it completely ignores the fact that the game has completely changed since then.

All Rugby matches are mediocre.

They really aren`t.

Played in a different spirit, no harassing the ref, far less faking injuries or fouls, they even do VAR better than football albeit aided by the slightly reduced pace of the game.

They really aren`t.

Played in a different spirit, no harassing the ref, far less faking injuries or fouls, they even do VAR better than football albeit aided by the slightly reduced pace of the game.

It’s a pretty dull game to watch live though, the odd breakaway bit of excitement but mostly just a slog of forward play, it’s a better watch on tv as you can’t really tell what’s going on once it’s among the forwards. Football is the greatest sport to watch live and in person , you can follow all of it.

It’s a pretty dull game to watch live though, the odd breakaway bit of excitement but mostly just a slog of forward play, it’s a better watch on tv as you can’t really tell what’s going on once it’s among the forwards. Football is the greatest sport to watch live and in person , you can follow all of it.
We will have to agree to disagree .
I love football, but Rugby is a more honest game
and so much more transparent.
Players and spectators know exactly what the rules are and where the boundaries regarding discipline, begin and end .

We will have to agree to disagree .
I love football, but Rugby is a more honest game
and so much more transparent.
Players and spectators know exactly what the rules are and where the boundaries regarding discipline, begin and end .

Know of that makes for a more entertaining watch, when you are there you literally can’t see the ball a lot of the time and you don’t even know who is in possession sometimes, not talking about discipline or rules, the actual aesthetic of the matches.

Plus the players have to have the rules explained to them so you are doing well if you can understand them.

They really aren`t.

Yeah but it's still Rugby, and that's dull 🤷‍♂️

Yours, a test cricket fan who would like us go back to a more sedate way of playing than we currently are.

Football is the best sport to follow because it’s simple and fast. Cricket and rugby are too slow and complicated, to my mind. Tennis is also good to watch but I’m less keen on individual sports as I generally don’t care who wins

They really aren`t.

They are also brilliant at using fake blood bags.

Football is the best sport to follow because it’s simple and fast. Cricket and rugby are too slow and complicated, to my mind. Tennis is also good to watch but I’m less keen on individual sports as I generally don’t care who wins

Football is fast when there is no VAR or you aren't playing Stevenage or Wycombe.

It seems to me that the rules aren't at all clear!
I have watched games with people who know rugby who haven't remotely been able to explain why decisions have been made.

Football fans are discriminated against just because we enjoy the sport a sport that probably provides the most money to the economy than any other .. you can drink at a night club in town you can drink at the rugby, darts , horse racing but not in a football stand . It's about time the rules caught up with reality we don't live in the 70s or 80s anymore

Back
Top Bottom