Matches Ditch the Ciaron Brown long throw.

Lincoln.yellow1

The long throw from Brown has not produced anything in the way of goals this season and has to be dropped, it’s hard enough scoring from corners let alone adding to this statistic with pointless throw-ins into the box.
We as a team are so out of position, especially when Brown takes a throw in from the right hand side as he is now 75 yards out of position as soon as we lose the ball it is panic stations all over the pitch...
We would be much better off putting Ciaron Brown on the end of crosses, not making them....
Football is easy, it’s the players and the instructions from the manager making it hard.
Switch the whole thing around, get Brown at the far post on right side throw-ins, take a short throw in, the receiver of the throw in plays it back to the thrower, by now, the defence will be pulled towards the ball then the player can whip the ball into the box with our two strikers and Brown at the far post making a nuisance of themselves.
THE STATS AND GOALS SCORED AS A RESULT OF THE LONG THROW WILL BE SOMETHING LIKE 1 GOAL SCORED OUT OF 100 PLUS THROW-IS, so why bother.....

Last edited:
The long throw from Brown has not produced anything in the way of goals this season and has to be dropped, it’s hard enough scoring from corners let alone adding to this statistic with pointless throw-ins into the box.
We as a team are so out of position, especially when ‘Brown’ takes a throw in from the right hand side as he is now 75 yards out of position as soon as we lose the ball it is panic stations all over the pitch...
We would be much better off putting ‘Keiran Brown’ on the end of crosses, not making them....
Football is easy, it’s the players and the instructions from the manager making it hard.
Switch the whole thing around, get ’Brown’ at the far post on right side throw-ins, take a short throw in, the receiver of the throw in plays it back to the thrower, by now, the defence will be pulled towards the ball then the player can whip the ball into the box with our two strikers and Brown at the far post making a nuisance of themselves.
THE STATS AND GOALS SCORED AS A RESULT OF THE LONG THROW WILL BE SOMETHING LIKE 1 GOAL SCORED OUT OF 100 PLUS THROW-IS, so why bother.....
I agree at least vary things

I'm baffled as to why Brown is in quote marks, are you suggesting that's not his name?

Is this the rumour we're not allowed to talk about?

Is 'Brown' actually KR?

If so, who is 'KR'?

Is winning a corner now seen as a bad thing?
I don‘t think is as good as a thing as we all make out and expect (1.27% is not a good statistic is it)
Corners to Goals Ratio
One Reddit user analysed 115,199 corners taken in 11,234 matches to see how much use they were.
From those, 1,459 goals were from a corner. This meant an average of 4.74 per cent of goals were scored in some way or another from corners, but just 1.27% of corners led directly to a goal.

Our corners are just as bad, the vast majority were too long, not one put in the middle, where our tall CB’s should be waiting.

Our corners are just as bad, the vast majority were too long, not one put in the middle, where our tall CB’s should be waiting.

There was one excellent corner tbf.

The one drilled low to Cam on the edge of the box - only quality WW defending kept that out.

We as a team are so out of position, especially when Brown takes a throw in from the right hand side as he is now 75 yards out of position as soon as we lose the ball it is panic stations all over the pitch...
We would be much better off putting Ciaron Brown on the end of crosses, not making them....
Switch the whole thing around, get Brown at the far post on right side throw-ins, take a short throw in, the receiver of the throw in plays it back to the thrower, by now, the defence will be pulled towards the ball then the player can whip the ball into the box with our two strikers and Brown at the far post making a nuisance of themselves.
I agree, it’s amateur tactics, but the with KR as manger, it’s hardly surprising is it.

Just like when he insists on flooding the squad with wingers, then doesn’t know how to play with wingers on the pitch, so just instructs his CB to hit long diagonal balls in the air out to the wingers, bypassing the rest of the team. Amateur tactics.

Or like when he puts our little 5ft 7in striker up against two 6ft plus CB, and then instructs players to hoof long balls up in the air to him. Amateur tactics.

I mean, I could go on, but you get the general idea…basically we have an amateur standard manager, and until he goes, we’ll have to put up with crap like this, and then a load of rambling gibberish after games, blaming every man and his dog for his own failings as a manager.

I agree, it’s amateur tactics, but the with KR as manger, it’s hardly surprising is it.

Just like when he insists on flooding the squad with wingers, then doesn’t know how to play with wingers on the pitch, so just instructs his CB to hit long diagonal balls in the air out to the wingers, bypassing the rest of the team. Amateur tactics.

Or like when he puts our little 5ft 7in striker up against two 6ft plus CB, and then instructs players to hoof long balls up in the air to him. Amateur tactics.

I mean, I could go on, but you get the general idea…basically we have an amateur standard manager, and until he goes, we’ll have to put up with crap like this, and then a load of rambling gibberish after games, blaming every man and his dog for his own failings as a manager.
We certainly do have to put up with a load of rambling gibberish

Stop, you're embarrassing yourself.

Not even lowly non-league clubs resort to using this tactic now, yet were are persisting with it 10 times a game despite it not paying off once. Not only that, Brown is clearly getting exhausted and finding himself out of position if he has to come to the far side. Caught us out on the break once yesterday resulting in a Henry yellow card and we almost got done twice against MK this way. Just wait til we face accomplished attacking teams who can capitalise on such amateur tactics especially if we are not covering him being out of position.

Such desperation is usually associated with teams out of ideas and down the bottom and that's pretty much us now.

Can’t remember any long throws resulting in a goal, so please stop doing it every time.

There was one excellent corner tbf.

The one drilled low to Cam on the edge of the box - only quality WW defending kept that out.
As stated, mix it up a bit and have 4 or 5 set piece corner options.....
1- Near post corner with Ciaron Brown at the near post to flick the ball on with our centre backs meeting the ball while running forward at the far post
2- Far post (high ball) corner with Ciaron and Elliott Moore at the rear of the area to head the ball back into the danger area with players anticipating positioning themselves In the centre of the 6 yard box or towards the other post area or even heading it back out toward the edge of the box for someone like Cameron or Marcus to take a shot.
3- The slide rule pass along the 18 yard box line for Brannigan or Marcus to drill the ball goal-wards (as per yesterday, however you will only get this chance once in a game)
4- Crowd the goalkeeper with 3 or 4 of our players and put the ball in to the middle of the 6 yard box under the crossbar.
5- We could try the ‘Train’ as England successfully did in the Euro’s with 4 or 5 players in a line, bang in the middle of 18 yard box then breaking into all directions.
6- The ’Train’ option (as per number 5) but with the players running towards their positions as per options 1 and 2.

It only takes one piece of communication from our captain to the corner kick taker to determine which type of corner will be executed then a sign from the corner taker to the rest of the players like one arm up, two arms up, no arms up or bounce the ball two or three times to inform the other 6 or 7 players in and around the box to take up their positions quickly.
As I said, football is an easy game.

Long throws arent the Oxford way (IMO)..... once in a while to vary things maybe, but (please) not every throw in the oppositions half

Better to have the entire squad of outfield players on shooting/ target practice on the traing ground ....goals win games, yet in league games this season, goals scored are very thin on the ground ( so far)

Back
Top Bottom