Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

Yeah I’m exactly the same, I’ve done my bit online commenting on the planning and writing to the councillors as you say and have also spoken on the phone to people I know who live in Kidlington and tried to get their support, but I don’t find the stadium thread that interesting and I don’t see how posting on it will help the club in any material way more than my other actions outlined above have. It’s annoying if I have to comment on there a few times before I can talk about the manager or the team to show I’m a ‘true’ fan 🙄

Didn't mention true fans at all, would never use that term anyway, think its nonsense.

Its not just on here I was on about, the ground situation doesn't get as much talk in general as I imagined it would, its undeniably the biggest issue facing the club but maybe its to distant.

McGuane extending his option but looking to move him on.

Don't see it.

He's not performed at all for Des. Why would he want to trigger his option (on what will presumably be a pretty high wage) and risk us not being able to find another club who will pay a fee for him, or even match those wages? Then you're stuck with a player you don't want taking up a squad place and a big chunk of your wage bill. There's going to be a lot of midfielders with a better overall track record than McGuane available for free this summer.

I think we're going to see Marcus on Des' 'released list' - along with Bodin, Henry, Browne & Seddon.

If our owners are willing to set fire to another couple of million quid, then that would leave a good chunk of change for Des' summer recruitment.

Don't see it.

He's not performed at all for Des. Why would he want to trigger his option (on what will presumably be a pretty high wage) and risk us not being able to find another club who will pay a fee for him, or even match those wages? Then you're stuck with a player you don't want taking up a squad place and a big chunk of your wage bill. There's going to be a lot of midfielders with a better overall track record than McGuane available for free this summer.

I think we're going to see Marcus on Des' 'released list' - along with Bodin, Henry, Browne & Seddon.

If our owners are willing to set fire to another couple of million quid, then that would leave a good chunk of change for Des' summer recruitment.
I think we’ll take up the option while looking to get some money for him. I don’t think we’d be stuck with him.

Don't see it.

This is where Des has to be brutal.
I know I would have already had the conversation with the recruitment team that we should be planning for the following….

1. A no 1.
2. A no 2 (right back)
3. 2 midfielders (1x defensive, 1 more attacking)
4. 3 x wide men
5. 1 x striker

My released list…

Cumming
Stevens
Seddon
Mcguane
Smyth
Henry
Bodin
Browne
Findlay

*Murphy…I would prepare for losing him. If he signs another contract then only 2 wide men needed.
*Edwards…I would prepare for him not making it in the fitness stakes. A lovely surprise if he does.

I know I would have already had the conversation with the recruitment team that we should be planning for the following….

1. A no 1.
2. A no 2 (right back)
4. 3 x wide men
5. 1 x striker

My released list…

Cumming
Stevens
Seddon
Mcguane
Smyth
Henry
Bodin
Browne
Findlay

*Murphy…I would prepare for losing him. If he signs another contract then only 2 wide men needed.
*Edwards…I would prepare for him not making it in the fitness stakes. A lovely surprise if he does.
Stevens is on loan isn't he so he will be returning to Everton - we'll have to buy out Findlay's contract of course.

Stevens is on loan isn't he so he will be returning to Everton - we'll have to buy out Findlay's contract of course.
I think Steven’s goes back to Brentford. We might have to pay something towards findlays contract I guess.

I'd imagine Thorniley and Leigh may well be available.
Goodrham,Murphy and Brannagan the most likely interesting higher clubs .

1. A no 1.
2. A no 2 (right back)
4. 3 x wide men
5. 1 x striker

My released list…

Cumming
Stevens
Seddon
Mcguane
Smyth
Henry
Bodin
Browne
Findlay

Agree with pretty much all of that - except that it’s not very cost-efficient to release Findlay when we still owe him two years’ wages. We’d be better off loaning him back to Killie and having them at least cover some of it…….

Agree with pretty much all of that - except that it’s not very cost-efficient to release Findlay when we still owe him two years’ wages. We’d be better off loaning him back to Killie and having them at least cover some of it…….

If you had to bet where and what would happen with Findlay next season with the last tenner in your wallet it’s yet another loan spell at Kilmarnock with them paying us a share of his wages but not all of it.

Long is under contract and what has Bennet has been decent?

Exactly. Decent, is that enough? We’ve had plenty of ‘decent’ footballers that have got us nowhere. We need to aspire to bringing in quality L1 footballers or, as I alluded to previously, we have these same conversation in a years time when we finish 7th or 8th again.

Exactly. Decent, is that enough? We’ve had plenty of ‘decent’ footballers that have got us nowhere. We need to aspire to bringing in quality L1 footballers or, as I alluded to previously, we have these same conversation in a years time when we finish 7th or 8th again.

Bennet has been league one quality this season though? He has been above that for most of his career. I get he is older, but as a cover left back he is about as good as you are going to get, been better than Leigh for me since Leigh came back from injury.

Every team who is successful has a number of 'decent' solid players.

Yes, decent is enough for a back-up left-back on appropriate wages.

David Smith, Stuart Massey, Matt Murphy, for example from some squad which got promoted out of this league in the mid-90s.

or Joe Skarz, Alex MacDonald & Ryan Taylor from MApp's promotion side.

For me, the whole problem with how we've gone about building our squad for the last several seasons is that we've spent far too much time chasing players who are, on their day, too good for this division - but for a variety of reasons (injury, form, personal issues) don't have very many days; and not enough time finding the complementary role players that will work hard and give you a 7/10 performance every week and enable the superstars to do their thing.

Not saying we definitely need Joe Bennett (he is quite old now, and I don't know what his wage expectations are) - but if not him, we do need more players like him.

or Joe Skarz, Alex MacDonald & Ryan Taylor from MApp's promotion side.

For me, the whole problem with how we've gone about building our squad for the last several seasons is that we've spent far too much time chasing players who are, on their day, too good for this division - but for a variety of reasons (injury, form, personal issues) don't have very many days; and not enough time finding the complementary role players that will work hard and give you a 7/10 performance every week and enable the superstars to do their thing.

Not saying we definitely need Joe Bennett (he is quite old now, and I don't know what his wage expectations are) - but if not him, we do need more players like him.
You need players like Bennet in a league 1 squad? He is a 7/10 most games he plays and has that experience.
I would also say McEachran is a good player to have in our squad.

Players like Browne and Edwards are too injury prone and we need to get away from these types of players.

Long has shown he does a good job at CB at this level but as a right back isn’t up to it any more so this is an area we certainly need to strengthen in the summer along with centre midfield and up front.

The issue we have is that players are signed on 2-3 year deals these days because most players won’t sign for just a year any more so it can take a few windows to move these players on like we have seen with Seddon and Findlay.

Back
Top Bottom