Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

This the truth I’m afraid and it’s so hard to accept for a lot of us including myself.
Agree. Des has definitely lost the respect of many of the squad. He is not experienced in EFL to handle the different " pressure " scenarios and it will only get worse the longer we persevere with him.

No. It was a team that had a very brief run of form. This team needs rebuilding, too many are past it or injury prone to sustain the early form.
That’s true, but why when we had the chance in January didn’t we properly recruit and invest in the season, with the belief that the right signings could take us on the journey we started? As it is the January window, with opportunity beckoning, has been a shocker!!

Not sure who’s fault that is, but 400k on yet another croc, 2 loans who have managed barely a few games between them, the resigning of a player who was already badly injured with some mystery problem, and a GK miles off the loan signing we had previously, tells me something is massively wrong.

We are making huge losses, yet still keep increasing those losses with players who are not improving or adding to the first team one jot!!

That’s true, but why when we had the chance in January didn’t we properly recruit and invest in the season, with the belief that the right signings could take us on the journey we started? As it is the January window, with opportunity beckoning, has been a shocker!!

Not sure who’s fault that is, but 400k on yet another croc, 2 loans who have managed barely a few games between them, the resigning of a player who was already badly injured with some mystery problem, and a GK miles off the loan signing we had previously, tells me something is massively wrong.

We are making huge losses, yet still keep increasing those losses with players who are not improving or adding to the first team one jot!!
Agree, I waited to see if there was any improvement after Jan before forming an opinion on Des. I don’t think he’s the right choice but do also feel the players arent as good as some folks think. Even with the right manager I think we are still a couple of windows away

Last edited:
Even now, with Lincoln still to play at home, I'd have us as slight favourites still to make 6th.
I'm all for staying positive Egg, but we are no longer favourites, Lincoln are the in form team by a country mile and now also occupy the last playoff place, we're the underdogs, maybe that will suit us, who knows, but let's show a little bit of realism.

I'm all for staying positive Egg, but we are no longer favourites, Lincoln are the in form team by a country mile and now also occupy the last playoff place, we're the underdogs, maybe that will suit us, who knows, but let's show a little bit of realism.

It was 2 points dropped today, but we should beat Fleetwood and Burton in the next week. Then Peterborough are all over the place with their form, Stevenage are in poor form and Exeter will have nothing to play for. So beat Lincoln and our fortune is still in our hands.

Not saying it will be easy or guaranteed, but our season is far from over.

It was 2 points dropped today, but we should beat Fleetwood and Burton in the next week. Then Peterborough are all over the place with their form, Stevenage are in poor form and Exeter will have nothing to play for. So beat Lincoln and our fortune is still in our hands.

I hope you’re right, I just don’t see this group of players handling those 3 games in a week against top of the table opposition.
After today I’m even worried we’ll struggle against fleetwood and Burton. We seem to mess things up even if we play half decent!

Problem is we keep making excuses and saying we can still do it. That is true but it was massively in our own hands and now it’s not. We simply and truly are no where near good enough. It absolutely pains me to say it, but got to be honest and realistic, we are nowhere near a promotion quality side, let alone in the way the club is run.

I’m so frustrated with so many things at our club, but to think we might get promoted is a step too far and just fanciful unfortunately. I’m as disappointed as anybody but that’s the way it is and the reality of some shocking recruitment decisions on and off the pitch.

Have you been watching a different set up to the rest of us?

We needed 7 wins from our final 14 games to guarantee play-offs.

That's now 5 wins needed from the final 6.

We may yet get there with fewer wins, but you have to appreciate that the 'number of games left to play' are reducing at a far, far, quicker rate than 'the number of wins still required'...

I'd be staggered if any of those dropped to Lg 1 unless they really hit the proverbial like KR
That’s a good point. I’ll probably get shouted down for saying this but it’s hardly a top managers dream move to come to Oxford. I love Oxford United and been following them since 1977 so consider myself a dyed in the wool fan, but this is a harsh truth.

That’s a good point. I’ll probably get shouted down for saying this but it’s hardly a top managers dream move to come to Oxford. I love Oxford United and been following them since 1977 so consider myself a dyed in the wool fan, but this is a harsh truth.
It’s a great gig - ambitious club but without the entitlement of bigger clubs, rich owners, pleasant part of the south. But I hope we won’t pay the sort of wages that championship managers expect.

Problem is we keep making excuses and saying we can still do it. That is true but it was massively in our own hands and now it’s not. We simply and truly are no where near good enough. It absolutely pains me to say it, but got to be honest and realistic, we are nowhere near a promotion quality side, let alone in the way the club is run.

I’m so frustrated with so many things at our club, but to think we might get promoted is a step too far and just fanciful unfortunately. I’m as disappointed as anybody but that’s the way it is and the reality of some shocking recruitment decisions on and off the pitch.
Yes it is, win all our remaining games and we’ll be in the play-offs. I don’t for one minute think we will win all 6 games but finishing in the play-offs is ‘still in our own hands’.

Delusional Mr Egg

Forget Sixth, it’s not happening, and I’d be surprised if we got that spot again this season.
But whilst there’s a chance we’ve still got to believe. Why just throw the towel in when we’re still in with a chance.

Yes, it’s going to be hard and we haven’t been playing at our best, but we deserved to win yesterday.

I think it’s odd that some fans have given up. What’s the point in getting this far with only 6 games to go and some fans want the season to end when we’re in and around the play offs..strange and odd behaviour.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom