Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

Let's not forget Robinson got us to two play offs and some memorable cup matches, it all went smelly after his off field issues and it did have a detrimental effect on the team and he was rightly dismissed, along comes Manning who guides us to safety and leaves with us 2nd in the table the following season, so now it's Buckingham era, we are now on a downward pergectory after a January transfer window where he was heavily back, I do not believe these players would give up, the buck stops at the manager. Lose Saturday and his possition is untenable.

But these players have developed a losing mindset since November. They had a largely winning one prior to that - the exact same players. Why might that be ?

Because some of them are inconsistent and unreliable.

As a Man U fan I thought you'd grasp this concept fairly easily.

Ummm no. They developed it when we didn't get in the play off positions at the end of KR's last full season, they further enhanced it between October and March of last year, culminating in Robinson getting sacked and then again from November onwards of this year, form has nose dived. What you're saying is a large part of this squad have put together roughly one quarter of a season, wedged in between two or three bad spells.

This isn't a couple of players either that have played a large part in this period, this is:

Eastwood
Brannagan
McGuane
Long
Moore
Thorniley (part of the 21/22 season)
Bodin
Brown
Henry
Murphy

The witch hunt for the manager really needs to be re-directed to a certain extent. People like Brannagan and Moore, two of the players held in highest regard by the supporters are perennial failures at OUFC. We awarded Brannagan with a 12k a week salary, too! Madness.

Harsh on Brannagan, Eastwood, Henry and Moore. All excellent footballers who have been great servants for OUFC. England have won nothing so does that make Harry Kane part of a losing culture and a perennial failure.

If they don’t want to play, put them on the transfer list immediately and don’t play them. They have a decision, earn your pay or f**k off.

Ummm no. They developed it when we didn't get in the play off positions at the end of KR's last full season, they further enhanced it between October and March of last year, culminating in Robinson getting sacked and then again from November onwards of this year, form has nose dived. What you're saying is a large part of this squad have put together roughly one quarter of a season, wedged in between two or three bad spells.

This isn't a couple of players either that have played a large part in this period, this is:

Eastwood
Brannagan
McGuane
Long
Moore
Thorniley (part of the 21/22 season)
Bodin
Brown
Henry
Murphy

The witch hunt for the manager really needs to be re-directed to a certain extent. People like Brannagan and Moore, two of the players held in highest regard by the supporters are perennial failures at OUFC. We awarded Brannagan with a 12k a week salary, too! Madness.
Am I right on Tuesday night we ended the games with 7 out of the 10 out players from last season let's look back at last home game Accrington' ran rings
round us and who was manager Liam' Manning
The players are just not good enough!!!

Harsh on Brannagan, Eastwood, Henry and Moore. All excellent footballers who have been great servants for OUFC. England have won nothing so does that make Harry Kane part of a losing culture and a perennial failure.

Good servants, absolutely. Winners at OUFC ? Clearly not.

831 games across these four alone, yet we have seen multiple instances where they have been part of multiple sides now that have seemingly 'downed tools' or completely lost form. Maybe it is a coincidence, but i doubt it. I'd suggest that they are part of a mentality within the groups that they have been a part of here, that is soft and possesses a tendency of not really fancying it when it really matters. Our squads, during the time that these players have been here, more often than not go missing in the biggest games.

Harry Kane is a world class centre forward, who has won.....nothing.

Utter nonsense. You can't have it both ways.

Not that I believe a word of it anyway.

It also doesn’t explain why they performed so well against Portsmouth and showed some late battling qualities against Cheltenham only a few days ago.

They looked clueless from the first minute so there may be well issues in understanding the approach DB wants and their abilities to apply it but it seems fanciful that there has been a total breakdown in the relationship between players and manager.

I’ll accept annoyances (being subbed off, dropped from the squad) - that’s part of football. But if the belief in DB has gone already, I suspect moves above the manager would have occurred.

Players have been known to take control and know a fraud when they see one. See Kevin Cullis (ex-U Christian Edwards gets a shout out).

• Love
Reactions: m
Good servants, absolutely. Winners at OUFC ? Clearly not.

831 games across these four alone, yet we have seen multiple instances where they have been part of multiple sides now that have seemingly 'downed tools' or completely lost form. Maybe it is a coincidence, but i doubt it. I'd suggest that they are part of a mentality within the groups that they have been a part of here, that is soft and possesses a tendency of not really fancying it when it really matters. Our squads, during the time that these players have been here, more often than not go missing in the biggest games.

Harry Kane is a world class centre forward, who has won.....nothing.

So Kane is a world class perennial failure ?

So Kane is a world class perennial failure ?

Is Kane World class? Has he played in 100's of league games and multiple tournaments whereby he hasn't won anything? Stretching back the best part of a decade?

Anyway, how does Harry Kane represent a good example of OUFC's current plight? Be it the Manager or the under-performing players, that have a history of doing exactly as they are right now?

It also doesn’t explain why they performed so well against Portsmouth and showed some late battling qualities against Cheltenham only a few days ago.

They looked clueless from the first minute so there may be well issues in understanding the approach DB wants and their abilities to apply it but it seems fanciful that there has been a total breakdown in the relationship between players and manager.

I’ll accept annoyances (being subbed off, dropped from the squad) - that’s part of football. But if the belief in DB has gone already, I suspect moves above the manager would have occurred.

Players have been known to take control and know a fraud when they see one. See Kevin Cullis (ex-U Christian Edwards gets a shout out).
...but what was the score at half-time in Blackpool? Did Christian Edwards manage to inspire the team to a better performance?

...but what was the score at half-time in Blackpool? Did Christian Edwards manage to inspire the team to a better performance?

'Fraid not. They were 2-0 down and went on to let in another two in the second half.

The inevitable Athletic long read on the whole story was published towards the end of last year.

Tomorrow will show if Des has the balls for the job.

If he doesn't drop the players we can all see aren't performing and sticks to the same broken system, that'll be the absolute final straw for me.

This is nowhere near as bad as Kemp and Rix.
Under Kemp we were shipping 3, 4 and 5 goals on a regular basis!
Under Rix was awful with the added bonus of getting battered by Yeovil 6-1 and 4-0 at Southend.

Appleton lost 9 of his 1st 22 league games.
Buckingham has lost 8 in his 1st 22 league games.

So while you think he should be put in the same bracket as Kemp and Rix, he could be put in the same bracket as Appleton.
Let's hope he does indeed finish in the same bracket as Appleton, that would be a nice promotion on his cv.

If they don’t want to play, put them on the transfer list immediately and don’t play them. They have a decision, earn your pay or f**k off.

Is putting players on a transfer list in the age of transfer windows a 'thing' anymore? I'd add in 'make them train with the youth team/reserves' bearing in mind no one really has a reserve team nowadays.

I think this is a symptom of the way Des is trying to play.

Manning was more about getting the full backs high and wide, dragging the opposition midfield out of the middle to create space for Rodrigues (and McGuane, to a certain degree) to operate, and a lot of the emphasis was on them to drive our attacks, with the wide two of the front three playing quite narrow too.

Des on the other hand seems to be more about deploying the full backs in a deeper role, and using the slightly higher central midfielder (or midfielders when we've used a single pivot) to work the ball from the full backs/centre back/pivot to the respective wingers on each side - so Stevens/Moore, Rodrigues and Dale creating those triangles on the right, and Leigh/Brown, Rodrigues and Murphy attempting the same on the left. So perhaps the expectation of Rodrigues now is to do more work across the pitch, rather than up and down it?

I think the areas we try and build our attacks through has changed from central to wide, which somewhat negates the kind of impact we were seeing earlier in the season from RR and McGuane. This might also explain why we so often seem to let teams straight through the middle with such little resistance when we give the ball away trying to work those wide positions.
Absolutely spot on, a very analytical explanation.

We have to remember that every contracted player has a promotion clause in their contract that would see their wages increase and/or a lump sum payment.

In order to be in with a shout of getting this they need to beat

23rd place Port Vale
17th place Shrewsbury
22nd place Fleetwood
19th place Burton
16th place Exeter

And not get beat by Stevenage and Lincoln at home.

Even if just selfishly playing for themselves without giving a shiny shite for the club, the fans or the manager, they should absolutely still deliver. If they don't then questions need to be asked of several key players who have previously been given a free pass from many fans.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom