Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

We probably still need to wait a few days for last nights result to filter through to the Chairman…
The way they acted over Knobinson, you would expect that we are in for a long drop before they realise or accept that change is needed.
Buckinghams failure will be their failure too.
I don’t expect them to pull the plug until the bitter end.

Genuine question: if Des has lost the dressing room why did they play so well against Portsmouth or have they been lost in the last week?

I’m am gutted about the situation and I think Des is a great idea. I’ve super Des through out but now I don’t know what the right decision is.

All the pro Buckingham supporters are very quite, I called it very early that he was out of his depth and got shot down by certain posters, it was almost a form of snobbery, the mere mention of questioning the golden boy Des. I get the fact that injuries hampered his preparations, but there hasn't been any Buckingham brand of play to digest since his arrival, it's been very poor to say the least, I'm sure Des is a decent chap and it has never been any personal, but for the love of God he has to seriously be questioned now about his ability from board, surely?
Very easy to say a manager won't succeed given the majority are out of a job within a year or two. Don't think it takes a crystal ball to assume the worst - lots of people did the same when Manning was appointed.

A manager failing at a role doesn't immediately mean they're 'out of their depth'. Is Pochettino out of his depth at Chelsea because they've been crap?

It's not Buckingham's first role in football so let's not pretend that football league experience is the be all and end all. There's plenty of vastly experienced FL managers who have taken jobs and massively failed. Just look at Ainsworth at QPR, Appleton at Charlton, Lee Johnson at Fleetwood or Moore at Huddersfield this season.

Managers out of work who I’d happily appoint to replace Des Buckingham:

Michael Duff - Good manager with Barnsley & Cheltenham.

Alex Neil - Good manager with Norwich, Preston & Sunderland.

Gary Rowett - Good manager at Birmingham, Burton & Millwall.

Mark Bonner - Done a very good job at Cambridge.

Very easy to say a manager won't succeed given the majority are out of a job within a year or two. Don't think it takes a crystal ball to assume the worst - lots of people did the same when Manning was appointed.

A manager failing at a role doesn't immediately mean they're 'out of their depth'. Is Pochettino out of his depth at Chelsea because they've been crap?

It's not Buckingham's first role in football so let's not pretend that football league experience is the be all and end all. There's plenty of vastly experienced FL managers who have taken jobs and massively failed. Just look at Ainsworth at QPR, Appleton at Charlton, Lee Johnson at Fleetwood or Moore at Huddersfield this season.
But with those managers you mentioned, they all have thier own brand/ Identity on the pitch, we are still none the wiser to what Buckingham is trying to do, that's my problem with him.

Genuine question: if Des has lost the dressing room why did they play so well against Portsmouth or have they been lost in the last week?

I’m am gutted about the situation and I think Des is a great idea. I’ve super Des through out but now I don’t know what the right decision is.
It's a good question too Eric. The players have the ability to play well, that much is mostly clear. They have proved that and also demonstrated that they can be greater than the sum of their parts, hence what we saw in the first part of the seaso, but it seems some of them just don't want to at the moment. Because for the performances to be as bad as they have at times is not just about the system, it is about individual players apparently sulking and not even trying because they didn't get the manager they wanted.

Marcus McGuane and Reuben Rodrigues are the most striking examples of this. If you believe @Leysboy, they simply aren't trying because they're sulking. If you are being generous it's because both are badly out of form and McGuane in particular is a confidence player who has blown hot and cold for his entire career...either fabulous or useless, right now his confidence is shot (if we're being generous).

In either scenario, both need dropping...and if the downing of tools theory is right, then I wouldn't be bothered about never seeing either (or any other player guilty of it) in an Oxford shirt ever again. They can f**k off and sabotage someone else's club.

The other part to this is how Des reacts to where we are and our current form (which doesn't look as bad as it might, thanks to the Stevenage capitulation last night).
IF he really is a bright young intelligent forward thinking coach that the City Group obviously saw, then he really should be spending hours pawing over the performances and analysis of what made this squad click under Manning. There's no big mystery there really, and maybe he ought to be doing more to adapt his style to that, rather than adapt the team to the style that brought him success in India and Australia.

And maybe that is what we'll see over the next 9 games. But if he doesn't have the whole squad on board with him and trying to make it work, then he might as well be pushing custard uphill.

It's a good question too Eric. The players have the ability to play well, that much is mostly clear. They have proved that and also demonstrated that they can be greater than the sum of their parts, hence what we saw in the first part of the seaso, but it seems some of them just don't want to at the moment. Because for the performances to be as bad as they have at times is not just about the system, it is about individual players apparently sulking and not even trying because they didn't get the manager they wanted.

Marcus McGuane and Reuben Rodrigues are the most striking examples of this. If you believe @Leysboy, they simply aren't trying because they're sulking. If you are being generous it's because both are badly out of form and McGuane in particular is a confidence player who has blown hot and cold for his entire career...either fabulous or useless, right now his confidence is shot (if we're being generous).

In either scenario, both need dropping...and if the downing of tools theory is right, then I wouldn't be bothered about never seeing either (or any other player guilty of it) in an Oxford shirt ever again. They can f**k off and sabotage someone else's club.

The other part to this is how Des reacts to where we are and our current form (which doesn't look as bad as it might, thanks to the Stevenage capitulation last night).
IF he really is a bright young intelligent forward thinking coach that the City Group obviously saw, then he really should be spending hours pawing over the performances and analysis of what made this squad click under Manning. There's no big mystery there really, and maybe he ought to be doing more to adapt his style to that, rather than adapt the team to the style that brought him success in India and Australia.

And maybe that is what we'll see over the next 9 games. But if he doesn't have the whole squad on board with him and trying to make it work, then he might as well be pushing custard uphill.
Fantastic summary this and bang on.

Thanks @Sheik djibouti - really good analysis. I agree with all of it especially the bit in bold. If it's true 'll hold the door for them as they leave

We have certainly gone from being a high press team ,to almost letting teams bring the game to us.I know Vale have got a great chance against us Saturday. It will be interesting how we go about it .The lad from Sunderland had got to play ,Marcus must be dropped. Rodriguez on the bench ,Bodin behind Harris and get at them .

The team he put’s out at Vale Park this Saturday will tell us a lot about Buckingham. If RR and MM are anywhere near the first team then Buckingham has learned nothing.

Harris also comes out of the side in my view. Brown has to be dropped as well - completely out of form and making too many mistakes.

Not sure why people are just calling out MM and RR. Murphy was pathetic the other night, a shockingly lacklustre and effortless performance. Cumming played with all the heart of a bloody pussycat - is he really doing his best ? Harris ? Was that really a performance full of effort, vigour and desire to do his best ? Harris has been really poor for about half a dozen games now, he seems to have given up. Personally, I don’t buy into what Leysboy is saying about just three players. It took him a lot of promoting to name the third player, why was that ?

Can anyone point to specific examples of where MM or RR have given up and not trying ? Maybe highlight the minute so we can all watch it and decide for ourselves. They - amongst a fair few others - both look out of form but they look confused as to what the game plan is. They are playing aimlessly but is that just reflective of a team who seem empty of ideas, have no identifiable style or patterns of play ? These two are at the heart of the team, in that engine room, but that’s the area where we look lost whoever plays there.

• React
Reactions: Nox
The team he put’s out at Vale Park this Saturday will tell us a lot about Buckingham. If RR and MM are anywhere near the first team then Buckingham has learned nothing.

Harris also comes out of the side in my view. Brown has to be dropped as well - completely out of form and making too many mistakes.

Cumming ? Is Eastwood worse ? I don’t think he is.

Isn’t it about time we played that rather expensive lad from Cheltenham? If he can’t get into the side when we’re in this sort of form, then he never will.
Unless we bought yet another unfit, fragile, 25- minute player of course?……

Not sure why people are just calling out MM and RR. Murphy was pathetic the other night, a shockingly lacklustre and effortless performance. Cumming played with all the heart of a bloody pussycat - is he really doing his best ? Harris ? Was that really a performance full of effort, vigour and desire to do his best ? Harris has been really poor for about half a dozen games now, he seems to have given up. Personally, I don’t buy into what Leysboy is saying about just three players. It took him a lot of promoting to name the third player, why was that ?

Can anyone point to specific examples of where MM or RR have given up and not trying ? Maybe highlight the minute so we can all watch it and decide for ourselves. They - amongst a fair few others - both look out of form but they look confused as to what the game plan is. They are playing aimlessly but is that just reflective of a team who seem empty of ideas, have no identifiable style or patterns of play ? These two are at the heart of the team, in that engine room, but that’s the area where we look lost whoever plays there.

On Harris, is there a more thankless task than being a lone centre forward for us at the moment? The best I ever saw play that role was Drogba for Chelsea, you could leave him isolated and he was still effective, but short of him in his prime who ever plays up there for us is going to struggle.

Isn’t it about time we played that rather expensive lad from Cheltenham? If he can’t get into the side when we’re in this sort of form, then he never will.
Unless we bought yet another unfit, fragile, 25- minute player of course?……

Absolutely. If he doesn’t start, either alongside or instead of Harris, on Saturday then Buckingham must have lost the plot completely.

Back
Top Bottom