Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

Great last paragraph

I have supported Buckingham since his appointment but last night was the turning point. He is a man lost and clueless. He has no idea how to control that class and his lesson plans have proved to be a shambles. The kids are bored and disinterested, and now want a ‘proper’ teacher again.
Senior management have handled everything appallingly on the footballing side since the start of last season. They allowed the insanity of Robinson to continue beyond the Summer of 2022. They did OK in appointing his replacement and the team he wanted around him, but then dropped a massive bollock by allowing him to walk away when the first club to flutter their eyelids flirted with him.

They then took a gamble on an inexperienced coach in Buckingham and then FAILED to back him with a team around him and experience to support him as he inevitably needed to learn on the job.

And just who is the sergeant major required to manage player discipline, which is clearly completely lacking.

Des is looking for all the world like the nice supply teacher and the whole class is taking the P**s, whilst the headteacher drools over plans for the new sports hall.

Did the board fail to back him? He was supported in the window? Is it the boards fault the preferred assistant feel through? Perhaps we should question why no one appears to want to be his assistant?

Last edited:
Can’t see Des being sacked next week if we win on Saturday. If we win on Saturday, we probably only need four more wins to make the play-offs. Make the play offs and he isn’t sacked in the summer. Really if he manages that, he will have proven quite a few people wrong, and will be given a transfer window and a few more months.

So the end is not necessarily nigh.

We are not making the play offs.

5 wins in 8 games?

On paper Matete, Goodwin and Bennett should be starting every game. But sadly according to Des they are bench warmers at best, and look like headless chickens when they do get a chance.
We are a team of 11 headless chickens, it’s disgraceful the effect Des has had on our players, and in such a short amount of time too….. we can’t give him another transfer window.
I say replace now, and bring in someone with buckets of previous managerial experience until the end of the season. Then we’d still have a fighting chance of making the play offs.

On paper Matete, Goodwin and Bennett should be starting every game. But sadly according to Des they are bench warmers at best, and look like headless chickens when they do get a chance.
We are a team of 11 headless chickens, it’s disgraceful the effect Des has had on our players, and in such a short amount of time too….. we can’t give him another transfer window.
I say replace now, and bring in someone with buckets of previous managerial experience until the end of the season. Then we’d still have a fighting chance of making the play offs.

Why Bennett?

Should he be starting ahead of Leigh? And why didn't he have a club when we signed him?

Can’t see Des being sacked next week if we win on Saturday. If we win on Saturday, we probably only need four more wins to make the play-offs. Make the play offs and he isn’t sacked in the summer. Really if he manages that, he will have proven quite a few people wrong, and will be given a transfer window and a few more months.

God help us. Those who employed him are our real problem

Why Bennett?

Should he be starting ahead of Leigh? And why didn't he have a club when we signed him?
Probably age, and when you look at the rest of the league they're largely settled at LB. Better options for Championship clubs, wages too high for L2. I think he's looked quite good when he's played.

Just looking back I rated it a 3 (although I couldn't find the post window thread).

Other's probably rated it higher because we signed some decent players - Des just has a knack of making decent players shite.
I think there's also a massive part of those decent players being thought of as decent on a reputation from history, which has not matched up with the reality of where they are now recovering from serious injuries.

I'm looking at you Jay Matete. He was the much vaunted steel and drive we needed iat the base of our midfield, but so far he's made Jamie Hanson look like a Championship standard player.

We've got the shadow of what he once was. Is that down to Buckingham? Maybe partly, but we're still seemingly addicted to signing players with a great reputation, based on a history before serious injuries took their toll, in the hope they can get fit and rediscover it here. Not all that dissimilar to Robinson in that respect.

High there. I think you might still be drunk.

Was prepared to give Des time but hurting this morning! Watching last night it was notable that the players looked very low on confidence even before Bolton scored their first. Where has this mentality come from? Hard to look beyond the manager I’m afraid.

Probably age, and when you look at the rest of the league they're largely settled at LB. Better options for Championship clubs, wages too high for L2. I think he's looked quite good when he's played.

Yes, I think he's decent.

I don't think he 'should be starting every game' though.

The chuckle brothers have form when it comes to changing managers. They will do all they can to contemplate their navels for as long as possible, because at this moment in time, what happens on the pitch is an absolute sideshow for them. Getting the stadium PP and construction is the only show in town, whilst moving us to a "more sustainable business" and a universe where we are all "customers" and "fan activations" are sexy is the next biggest priority. Football and on the field entertainment are some way behind that I'm afraid.

I reckon we're in a holding pattern until further notice, especially now safety is guaranteed. I will be surprised if anything happens quickly on the footballing side. And even if it did, would you trust them to make the right decision??

Isn't Short part of the problem?
Under him we won but nearly blew a 3 goal lead. Really not sure that would be a good choice.
Definitely not as a permanent solution, but he did bring everyone together after Manning left, and it galvanised the fans and players, and while I don’t think it will turn around our season now at this point, I don’t think anything will, but it will at least bring everyone back together again, and hopefully create a bit of harmony and positivity going into the summer, ready for what is gonna have to be a massive rebuild job.

I think the Sky commentator described us as rattled after 1 and a half minutes last night, we only made 8 successful passes in their half in the first 32 minutes of the game, they had 64% possession, 20 shots to our 4, 8 on target to our 0, 6 corners to our 1, the worse thing is those stats don't flatter them and we were truly awful throughout, he has been here a while now, got players back from injury and its somehow managing to get worse.

After Saturday nearly everyone I spoke to was fearful of last night, which is a sign of how bad its going, and they proved to be right, it was a score line that was coming. Who can have much enthusiasm for the rest of this season if he is left in charge when we all know its over for him? He will stay for a bit longer, won't make the end of the season but the remaining weeks will be painful, its the end days of Karl all over again. I predict a horror show at home to Fleetwood to end it.

A new manager bounce could achieve that...

That's some bounce after last night, especially considering the new manager won't get 8 games to do it. He needs to bring a trampoline with him whoever he is.

What was Mannings new manager bounce with some of the same players?

A new manager bounce could achieve that...
That's a very long shot . . and even less likely if some of the players don't give the new appointment their blessing. Player power has seemingly taken over and we won't achieve anything until those disruptors are either ejected from the squad or put in their place and we have a set of players who know what knuckling down and working as a a team to achieve a goal actually means.

Back
Top Bottom