Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

I wouldn’t read too much in to that.
I think we're in a crisis. The players seem to be confused or as others say given up/not playing for the manager, I think senior voices should be heard if they want to continue representing Oxford United. Des is on 1 point per game with a squad so heavily backed by the owners.

100 percent yes. Honestly worse than Kemp tactically, and Kemp had bloody awful players (not that I’m defending him).

There is no plan, no coaching, no cohesion, and his record is f*****g abysmal, even bearing in mind we were likely overperforming previously.

There are literally no excuses. None. It’s a mistake that both parties can salvage by parting ways.

To me Des is something of an enigma. This highly rated coach who seemed to know his stuff, part of the City Group who don’t employ clowns, success in his previous role. Yet I look at him and I haven’t seen anything from him that backs that up. Are we sure it’s Des Buckingham that we collected from the airport?

I haven’t seen anything in terms of his leadership, coaching or tactics that has convinced me that we haven’t made a huge mistake. Most games I struggle to understand the game plan. Our play is so one dimensional, get it to Murphy and hope he does something. It’s the kind of football you’d see 10 years ago, not progressive like we were led to believe. There has been no progression in 20+ games, we look more disjointed & tactically clueless than ever.

Whether we feel he’s been let down by others regarding assistant managers and analysts or not, the situation is clear for me. He needs to show very quickly that he has the ability to change things, or be replaced. We need to see something, anything, that shows us what type of team we’re actually trying to become. If we lose but you can see the process and what we’re trying to progress to, style wise, I can accept it. But I honestly think you could have asked the players to coach themselves and pick the team this week and it wouldn’t be any worse than what we watched tonight. An absolute shambles from start to finish.

Tough to see how Des can turn things around. No experience of being in a situation like this in a proper league, no experience as a pro player to command the respect of the players.

Use the Manning money to pay him off and get a pro in.

To me Des is something of an enigma. This highly rated coach who seemed to know his stuff, part of the City Group who don’t employ clowns, success in his previous role. Yet I look at him and I haven’t seen anything from him that backs that up. Are we sure it’s Des Buckingham that we collected from the airport?

I haven’t seen anything in terms of his leadership, coaching or tactics that has convinced me that we haven’t made a huge mistake. Most games I struggle to understand the game plan. Our play is so one dimensional, get it to Murphy and hope he does something. It’s the kind of football you’d see 10 years ago, not progressive like we were led to believe. There has been no progression in 20+ games, we look more disjointed & tactically clueless than ever.

Whether we feel he’s been let down by others regarding assistant managers and analysts or not, the situation is clear for me. He needs to show very quickly that he has the ability to change things, or be replaced. We need to see something, anything, that shows us what type of team we’re actually trying to become. If we lose but you can see the process and what we’re trying to progress to, style wise, I can accept it. But I honestly think you could have asked the players to coach themselves and pick the team this week and it wouldn’t be any worse than what we watched tonight. An absolute shambles from start to finish.

He talks a good game. Kept his profile high by regular interviews with the local press who lapped it up. Played on the city group connections who could employ a clown and their teams would still win the league with their budget and spending (allegedly not always within the rules).

Last edited:
Des will take the hit, but we all know it's the useless C***s above him and the sulky wage stealing C***s below him who really need firing.
Although we might not agree with everything the board do, there aren’t too many league 1 clubs who’ve been backed like we have this season. Very few league 1 managers have a perfect environment to work in. Is it not the managers job to unite his players towards a common cause? Currently I see a team that are deflated, frustrated and out of ideas. They need someone to lead them.

Although we might not agree with everything the board do, there aren’t too many league 1 clubs who’ve been backed like we have this season. Very few league 1 managers have a perfect environment to work in. Is it not the managers job to unite his players towards a common cause? Currently I see a team that are deflated, frustrated and out of ideas. They need someone to lead them.

I don’t think anyone is arguing that Buckingham should stay, more that the clear out needs to be from top to bottom.

From the CEO to the recruitment team who all think they are cleverer than they are, from the manager to most of our gutless players.

You always try to salvage what you can from the wreckage but most of it is rotten as f**k, that’s pretty obvious now.

League table since Des took over.

Screenshot_2024-03-13-00-14-55-28_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t think anyone is arguing that Buckingham should stay, more that the clear out needs to be from top to bottom.

From the CEO to the recruitment team who all think they are cleverer than they are, from the manager to most of our gutless players.

You always try to salvage what you can from the wreckage but most of it is rotten as f**k, that’s pretty obvious now.
If Des had followed KR I’d be slightly more convinced by this. But in between we had a manager who had us playing nice football, winning games at the top of the league. With the same leadership structure and largely the same players that now barely look capable of stringing 3 passes together. Sure it can be improved and maybe the wheels would have fallen off for Manning in the end. Who knows. But LM did prove in his short time here that success is possible with the same factors Des is facing.

League table since Des took over.

View attachment 18305

Shows a few things.
League one is shocking this year
We've missed an absolutely golden opportunity

I'm seeing a lot of people saying 2nd was a false position, we were overperforming. But I think the above shows that isn't strictly true. We overperformed in 1 stat - shots to goals.
Manning had us very solid, very pragmatic, but we'd always have chances and a general control over the game. (Despite a few games we'd be too defensive, too early - I think Blackpool at home being the main example).

It's certain that we're now dreadfully underperforming. The players that had us 2nd haven't suddenly become rubbish, but it seems they have as much of an idea of how they're set up as I do - bloody clueless.

Sorry Des, time to go.

Back
Top Bottom