Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

It's not actually the full quote, I guess it would look too cramped.

"I was soo impressed with Mumbai FC's professionalism. It was really great dealing with them. The compensation was set and it was not negotiated. Their attitude throughout was absolute fire🔥"
If only there were a 💯 reaction instead of a mere ‘like’ I would’ve clicked.

They’ve also predicted on there that we’ll finish 6th…
Which, given the sh*t show of last season, the rebuild and then being left in the lurch by Snakey, would be a playoff place and thus a good finish (or even better, if we won and went up).

Which, given the sh*t show of last season, the rebuild and then being left in the lurch by Snakey, would be a playoff place and thus a good finish (or even better, if we won and went up).
I agree a play off place would be seen as a success but I really don’t want to make them and then fail to go up for a third time in four years.. 😞

I am not sure that the club would take 6th as a good finish based on the current position and squad ( presumably more money invested in January)

I am not sure that the club would take 6th as a good finish based on the current position and squad ( presumably more money invested in January)
I certainly hope they wouldn't. Playoffs should only be looked at as a second chance this year, we should be aiming for and expecting automatics.

Depending on how late we went from 2nd to 6th I don’t think that would be a good finish…

You're right that the board wouldn't be looking at 6th as a target, but I guess the playoff question could be more about finishing a close third but having to go down that route. Portsmouth, Bolton and us are building a bit of a gap over the others and points per game would see us all finish nearly 20 points above the rest. But it's still really tight and the difference between champions and third could be as little as a point or two, or even goal difference.

I'm confident that we have the players and structure around the club to continue to move forward, and I think Des will enhance everything that is already good about us on and off the pitch. Aiming for the automatic places is completely right. Expecting it is maybe something different.

At the risk of being a bit contrarian, if the Board had sacked Manning before the Bristol City talk arose with us second in the table and appointed Des in his place, this forum would have gone into meltdown and rightly so. Imho part of the current hero worship of our new manager is due to us feeling jilted, we are on the rebound at present and we think we’ve found a cracking replacement shag really quickly.

I‘m not subscribing yet to the ‘he’s the Messiah’ enthusiasm. On paper he looks good but let’s see how the next 10 games go.

At the risk of being a bit contrarian, if the Board had sacked Manning before the Bristol City talk arose with us second in the table and appointed Des in his place, this forum would have gone into meltdown and rightly so. Imho part of the current hero worship of our new manager is due to us feeling jilted, we are on the rebound at present and we think we’ve found a cracking replacement shag really quickly.

I‘m not subscribing yet to the ‘he’s the Messiah’ enthusiasm. On paper he looks good but let’s see how the next 10 games go.

Agreed. Like with any new manager, it is a case of wait and see.

I largely agree with you, but I’m also too busy taking a bloody good piping to care.

At least allow both the bodily fluids and the tears to dry before we have this talk.

Yesss ... if we draw at Cheltenham and lose to Bolton there will be people on here whinging and asking whether Appleton is available. Though Des being a local boy might get him another game or two.

Back
Top Bottom