Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

Anyone know much about Des’s background ? I see he was born in Oxford, does he still have family in the area and is he actually from Oxford or elsewhere in Oxfordshire ? School he went to etc ?
Dunno about first or secondary, but think he was at Cardinal Newman Middle School.

Anyone know much about Des’s background ? I see he was born in Oxford, does he still have family in the area and is he actually from Oxford or elsewhere in Oxfordshire ? School he went to etc ?
Yes he has quite a big family in Oxford and popular lad amongst his peers. Went to local Catholic school in the City.

Does anyone else think Des is perfect son in law material? He’d bring flowers for Sunday lunch and then a nice natter about football over the apple crumble.
I also think he’d help with the washing up while I had a snooze in the recliner. He’s that sort of guy.

Having had a few days now to really digest this appointment, I have to say I'm even more excited than I was when it was first announced. Manning was not at all the wrong appointment from the board at the time - he's done an incredible job with turning us around from near relegation to top 2 in one 10/10 transfer window, and revolutionised our playing style, galvanised the club. But I think his failed promotion with MK 2 years ago, where from what at one point looked a nailed-on top two finish to somehow remaining in League 1, then a few months later being out of a job, ultimately haunted him. With us he's now found himself in a similar position, but rather than prove to himself that that he is indeed capable of getting over the line, he's taken a shortcut to managing in the Championship - somewhat understandable but arguably selfish and cowardly. He is a top, top coach, but showed loyalty only to himself.

The big difference with Buckingham is he is one of us. You can see how honoured he is to be managing us, and he's young enough for this to feel like a real-life Football Manager dream to him. He has just as much ambition as Manning to manage at the top level, but above anything he wants to manage us at the top level. He isn't going to jump ship when some club perennially treading water in the division above mentions his name, and he is a serial winner, not a promotion short-cut taker. If anyone is going to really buy into our long-term ambition as a club, it's him. And from what I've read, his playing style looks just as impressive and effective as Manning's - with this brilliant squad Manning and his servient support team were kind enough to assemble for him, coupled with this extra Buckingham x-factor now, I think we've got an even better chance of the automatics than we did 2 weeks ago. We're. Going. Up

He speaks at all times very well. Two things evident, highly intelligent, and passionate.

Clearly a fan of Simon Sinek’s work, along with psychological safety (personal histories - Amy Edmondson et al). How we have moved on in 12 months from Robinson who’s reading (and thinking) was probably limited to the Beano and the Daily Star!

There are bits of Oxford in there, but he sounds (unsurprisingly) like someone who's lived abroad for quite a few years.
It’s funny he sounds like my nephew from NZ at times…he worked with Des for a couple of years in Wellington….then he sounds like most of my Oxonian friends

One thing that is unifying us all is the love of someone who has come home to Oxford and likely to stick around a long time.
I have yet to meet him but I fell I have already.
He is so articulate and intelligent. Done so much at 38 and also holds a pilots licence too..
Wants to play nice football and still learning the game.
We are right to be optimistic about what the future holds. New stadium coming and the right manager to take us forward

I've just watched the interview. What a lovely fella.

We're fresh earth, with the shoots of progress coming through. The player integration and character, the plans for a new stadium with funds behind it. Now a promising young talented manager to move us forward.

Let the sun shine on our little special patch and transform us to the next level.

COYY!

It's lovely to see the love Buckingham is getting from Mumbai City fans.

If our fans had gone to the airport to see Manning go, it would have be to make sure he got on the plane!

Apologies if I have missed anything, but has anybody said anything on here about Des' new coaching team? Really intrigued as to who will be the makeup of the staff.

Back
Top Bottom